Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For domestic flight issues, use Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2018]

Previous international delayed / cancelled report threads
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
UA 50 MAD-EWR Oct 10

No notification, but cancelled due to mechanical issues, rebooked on DL 210 into JFK same day, but 6 hr delay. When I asked, I was told since I was rebooked to the same city?? (NJ - NY), there is no compensation given??
PS - do I get UA miles for this flight??
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by mauld
No notification, but cancelled due to mechanical issues, rebooked on DL 210 into JFK same day, but 6 hr delay. When I asked, I was told since I was rebooked to the same city?? (NJ - NY), there is no compensation given??
It shouldn't be a problem to get your UA miles for this flight. Just contact MP and request Original Routing Credit (ORC). Further, you can give DL your SkyMiles number and get DL credit for the flight, too. Whether you can get extra compensation for being returned to JFK may depend on whether you requested this routing, or they just gave it to you. If the former, it may be difficult. But again, contact UA, explain the inconvenience or cost that you suffered by being returned to JFK rather than EWR, and ask for compensation. You may get something, or you may not.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
They are denying you EU 261 compensation?
wrp96 and brp1264 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA should only compensate for ground transportation from JFK to EWR (since they re-routed your final airport). UA flight was canceled and UA gave you the option of DL210 which is scheduled to arrive at 12.45pm at JFK (well before the 2pm UA arrival to EWR). You have been given (and accepted) a reasonable re-routing that gets you to your destination within 4h, so no compensation would be eligible per EU EC261.

However, your DL flight is delayed by over 6h, so you should be able to claim EU EC261 compensation from DL. Unless you decide to reroute again on IB or UX or DY.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:55 am

At the time of my rebooking, I didn't request any specific flight. They booked me on the DL 5pm, which had been delayed at that point from leaving at 10:20am. When I asked about compensation, I was told none was to be given, other than a rebooking. Now I'm looking at $200 to get to NJ ( Newark or anywhere) at 8 pm
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:10 am

At the time of my rebooking, I didn't request any specific flight. They booked me on the DL 5pm, which had been delayed at that point from leaving at 10:20am. When I asked about compensation, I was told none was to be given, other than a rebooking. Now I'm looking at $200 to get to NJ ( Newark or anywhere) at 8 pm
You are definitely due EC261 compensation (EUR 600) from one carrier or the other.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...united-75.html
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
At time of rebooking (or when they notified you), you had the option to accept or decline the alternatives given to you. Given that DL is the first MAD-NYC flight out, UA probably rebooked you on that flight to make sure you got to NYC in time. UA would not have had visibility to the operations or delay that DL encountered. If you knew DL flight was delayed, you could have requested to be rebooked on AA (dep 10.50) or DY (dep 10.55), or even later flights on IB/UX. UA duty was to rebook you to get to your destination within 4h of scheduled arrival, which they did on the DL flight.

Now it's unfortunate that you suffered another delay on DL but that's entirely up to DL to compensate you. Only compensation that UA would offer is the $200 to get you from JFK to your NJ destination. I suggest you save the receipt and write to customer care to get reimbursed.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
At time of rebooking (or when they notified you), you had the option to accept or decline the alternatives given to you. Given that DL is the first MAD-NYC flight out, UA probably rebooked you on that flight to make sure you got to NYC in time. UA would not have had visibility to the operations or delay that DL encountered. If you knew DL flight was delayed, you could have requested to be rebooked on AA (dep 10.50) or DY (dep 10.55), or even later flights on IB/UX. UA duty was to rebook you to get to your destination within 4h of scheduled arrival, which they did on the DL flight.

Now it's unfortunate that you suffered another delay on DL but that's entirely up to DL to compensate you. Only compensation that UA would offer is the $200 to get you from JFK to your NJ destination. I suggest you save the receipt and write to customer care to get reimbursed.
I'm not sure I agree with your logic. If UA cancels a flight and puts you on a DL flight getting in 3h55m after your original flight was scheduled to arrive, and then the DL flight is delayed 10 minutes so you arrive 4h5m after original time, you think that DL should write a EUR 600 check for operating 10 minutes behind schedule?

UA is the operating carrier that cancelled the flight and thus caused the delay to the passenger. OP purchased a ticket with UA and was not delivered on time. The fact that they tried and failed to get OP in on time by putting them on another airline doesn't matter.

Also DL flight was scheduled to depart before the UA flight so they probably knew it was delayed when they rebooked OP.

Regardless, OP is definitely due EC261 comp. I'd try with United first, and then if that doesn't work try with Delta. But trying with Delta first would be fine too, they're probably writing a lot of checks for that flight.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
UA 40 on Oct 8. Left the gate on time. Noticed we were spending a lot of time revving engines before starting to taxi and I knew it was not good news. Back to the gate, total delay was 4 hours, Once back at the gate they did let pax off but demanded you take your "stuff" with you...Fortunately for me we were sitting in row 2 so we just waited it out. Delay after delay after delay. They did hand out bottled water too...whoopie. Yes, I know you can't fly on a broken airplane but when there are something like 7 or 8 delays it gets frustrating.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by threeoh
I'm not sure I agree with your logic. If UA cancels a flight and puts you on a DL flight getting in 3h55m after your original flight was scheduled to arrive, and then the DL flight is delayed 10 minutes so you arrive 4h5m after original time, you think that DL should write a EUR 600 check for operating 10 minutes behind schedule?
I think the same logic that applies with interline checked bags and interline misconnects fits in nicely here:

For checked luggage the final delivering carrier is responsible to deliver/pay out for missing or damaged luggage regardless of who's fault the luggage going missing/getting misdirected ultimately is. I'm sure that airline can pursue compensation from the "at fault" airline if they like through IATA settlement processes. Likewise if a passenger misconnects, it's the airline that delivered (essentially last touched) the passenger responsible for getting them to their ultimate destination -- again, if an upline issue caused the misconnect they can pursue redress.

In both cases as far as the passenger is concerned there's a very clear "who is responsible (to me)" path, and the airlines can settle the details among themselves behind the scenes.

I would think (but haven't needed to look at EC261 thankfully) that the same would apply here -- Delta accepted the passenger's booking and is who I would expect to be responsible to pay out the compensation. DL may then pursue UA for reimbursement (either in whole or in proportion to the delay attributable to each carrier)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I think the same logic that applies with interline checked bags and interline misconnects fits in nicely here:
Except that IATA member airlines have explicit agreements in place for mishandled interline checked bags and for misconnects, but AFAIK don't have such agreements in place for dealing with EC261 and similar compensation. And EC261 itself is surprisingly vague about how connections work, let alone interline connections, codeshares, etc.

Absent an IATA or other agreement between DL and UA on who is responsible, it's between the pax and each airline (via the courts, ultimately) as to whether they're owed EC261 comp.

I still think pax had a ticket on United; United failed to deliver them on time; United owes the comp.

I still think Delta will pay if you file with them, but only because their systems for processing EC261 compensation claims aren't that sophisticated.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
3727/N38727, a pmCS-73G, after Wed 10/10 UA165 GUM-FUK, canceled return as UA166 FUK-GUM due to mx.
Finally left FUK-GUM as ferry UA2750 midday Thu 10/11 followed by ferry UA2752 GUM-HNL arriving Thu 10/11 4 am hour HST.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
UA probably rebooked you on that flight to make sure you got to NYC in time. UA would not have had visibility to the operations or delay that DL encountered. If you knew DL flight was delayed, you could have requested to be rebooked on AA (dep 10.50) or DY (dep 10.55), or even later flights on IB/UX. UA duty was to rebook you to get to your destination within 4h of scheduled arrival, which they did on the DL flight.

UA was fully aware of the DL delay which is why the were able to book so many of the cancelled passengers on it. They actually told me of the delay and actually scratched out the original boarding and departure time on the printed BP and inked in the new times. They had been rebooking people on the AA flight, but by the time I got up to the reps, that flight was full.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

UA was fully aware of the DL delay which is why the were able to book so many of the cancelled passengers on it. They actually told me of the delay and actually scratched out the original boarding and departure time on the printed BP and inked in the new times. They had been rebooking people on the AA flight, but by the time I got up to the reps, that flight was full.
Some of the best advice that I got off here was that as soon as there is a hint of a delay get on the phone to the reps and get put on standby. Don't know if that would have been possible in your case but it has made my life easier on at least two ocassions.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA127 ... wow .... this ultimately cancelled, but interesting ... anyone know what was going on?
Comments:
0127/19OCT
P DUB/OUT 111P L00.16 EST OFF 132PFLIGHT PREPARATION
P DUB/RR 224P
N DUB/LX
P YHZ/ETA 328P FLAG STOP-INTERM-ETD 340P PREVIOUS STOP DUB
N YHZ/LX
F YHZ/ETA 346P ETD 415P
N YHZ2/LX
P BOS/ETA 314P FLAG STOP-INTERM-ETD 334P PREVIOUS STOP DUB
F BOS/ETD 340P
F BOS/ETA CXLD ETD CXLD☨
F BOS/ETA CXLD ETD CXLD
F IAD/ETA 248P E00.57
D FCF/OPTG DUB-YHZ NON-STOP OVERFLY BOS
D HDQ/DUB IAD PROT UNDER GG CNL JJQ

SKED DUB ORIG 1255P GTD USPC SHIP 3105
IAD 345P TERM GTA C7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.