Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For domestic flight issues, use Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2018]

Previous international delayed / cancelled report threads
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what one could gather UA cancelled most flights today from EU-EWR. The exception was the 3 later LHR-EWR flights, resulting in 2 of them diverting to ORD. The third one - UA 921 - showing LHR-YVR, then cancelled.
A mystery why it listed as going into YVR in the first place ???

if anything, I would have been glad to stay in LON/EU vs getting diverted and probably sitting somewhere around ORD. In this regard I support UAs proactive cancellations.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by cesco.g
From what one could gather UA cancelled most flights today from EU-EWR. The exception was the 3 later LHR-EWR flights, resulting in 2 of them diverting to ORD. The third one - UA 921 - showing LHR-YVR, then cancelled.
A mystery why it listed as going into YVR in the first place ???
That's YYR: Goose Bay, NF.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
That's YYR: Goose Bay, NF.
Overlooked the second Y, My bad. Thanks for clearing that up, HkCaGu!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
UA85 TLV-EWR 772 diverting to IAD and cancelling ... really UA? At the same time AC, LY (! same route !), EC, WW and others are arriving at EWR and UA must divert? wow.

I think it is hugely unfair (sensationalist) to criticize UA085 for not deciding to land at EWR during a major snowstorm.

Much more telling, UA cancelled every TATL into EWR today except LHR-EWR flights which diverted to ORD or elsewhere? HKG diverted to ORD. PEK/PVG/DEL/GRU/EZE and everything else from Europe cancelled.

BOM/TLV (UA 91) appear to be the only long hauls that made it in today, and they arrived around 4:30am this morning with snow starting at around 530am.

The strategy is argumentative, but UA firmly believes that rather than displacing folks/crews/aircraft in random diversion airports, proactively cancel and tries to rebuild tomorrow.

El Al 007 landed on it's second approach at EWR with JFK closed and no better alt. with ground services
Wow Air made it in.
OpenSkies did and one TP flight did as well.

Several UPS flights diverted.

LX 008 diverted tol Montreal.
CX890 diverted to Toronto.

Interestingly, LH/SK/LX all tried to operate flights into EWR and all ended up all diverting to other airports (Maybe one SK out of 3 made it I found conflicting info)./UPS

So, looking at the above list, while I would have complete confidence in LY pilots and maybe OpenSkies, how much experience do the WOW air pilots have at EWR? Or Air Ukraine? Compared to UA,LH,LX, SK etc who operate daily and in UA's case the pilots have been operating multiple flights for years.

Adam

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 4, 2018 at 11:09 pm Reason: Overly personal comments removed; discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
After Thu 1/04 UA180 sCO HKG-EWR was diverted to ORD with ORD-EWR continuation canceled, Fri 1/05 UA180 has been canceled due to a serious bus accident on the North Lantau Highway sending the whole crew to hospitals for treatment. UA896 sUA HKG-ORD (possibly HKG FAs) has now been delayed 3h48m and taking in EWR passengers. UA862 HKG-SFO also departed completely full.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:26 pm

After Thu 1/04 UA180 sCO HKG-EWR was diverted to ORD with ORD-EWR continuation canceled, Fri 1/05 UA180 has been canceled due to a serious bus accident on the North Lantau Highway sending the whole crew to hospitals for treatment. UA896 sUA HKG-ORD (possibly HKG FAs) has now been delayed 3h48m and taking in EWR passengers. UA862 HKG-SFO also departed completely full.
Oh no that is terrible news hopefully the crew are not too seriously injured.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
1/4/18 UA 895 ORD-HKG (N793UA) diverted to ANC for operational difficulties (unruly passenger).

Flight to Hong Kong diverted to Anchorage

1/5/18 UA 2730 ANC-HKG estimated departure 1330 and estimated arrival into HKG at 1813.

1/6/18 UA 896 HKG-ORD estimated departure at 2000 and estimated arrival at 1958, 8 hours 18 minutes late.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
https://hk.news.appledaily.com/break...80105/57667687

13 injured in traffic accident on North Lantau Highway - Around DB
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
UA85 TLV-EWR 772 diverting to IAD and cancelling ... really UA? At the same time AC, LY (! same route !), EC, WW and others are arriving at EWR and UA must divert? wow.
I was on UA85 yesterday. A few comments....

First, when we departed most weather reports had the storm moving out and winds subsiding by mid-afternoon. By the time we were over Greenland (btw we saw two other 777 UA flights, almost close enough to touch at this point...one was an LHR-EWR, the other LHR-IAH), we knew there was a good chance of getting diverted.

I have NO issue with this diversion. We were getting rocked around pretty good, and there were apparently two flights that had to abort their decision to land at EWR. According to one of the crew members, they were awaiting word from the 777 LHR-EWR that was scheduled to land an hour prior. They were diverted, and so were we. I know a couple of planes landed, but I'll side with safety every time. Wet and icy runway, strong crosswinds, etc. Apparently the runway with a headwind was not available due to the technical calculations of wind speed, wet runway, etc for our 777.

OT a bit, but the crew on UA85 was the best I've ever had. A complete 180 from the crew we had on UA90 heading out (the laziest collection of FA I've ever seen). We landed in strong winds, with the captain angling the nose away from the runway until the last few seconds. I'm always amazed at these smooth landings in such conditions.

Anyway, the issue I have with UA is not the diversion. That was prudent. We were getting tossed on approach to IAD, and EWR was apparently much worse in terms of wind speed. The issue I have is that as soon as we landed, we were informed that no flights were available from IAD to EWR for 4 days and that busses would take us up to EWR. While at baggage claim, I saw that UA had loaded a new IAD-EWR flight for today, miraculously on a 777-200! It flew out at what seems to be less than half full. They effectively lied.

I rented a car and drove home. Roads were fine. Long day, though!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by gold23
I was on UA85 yesterday. A few comments....

First, when we departed most weather reports had the storm moving out and winds subsiding by mid-afternoon. By the time we were over Greenland (btw we saw two other 777 UA flights, almost close enough to touch at this point...one was an LHR-EWR, the other LHR-IAH), we knew there was a good chance of getting diverted.

I have NO issue with this diversion. We were getting rocked around pretty good, and there were apparently two flights that had to abort their decision to land at EWR. According to one of the crew members, they were awaiting word from the 777 LHR-EWR that was scheduled to land an hour prior. They were diverted, and so were we. I know a couple of planes landed, but I'll side with safety every time. Wet and icy runway, strong crosswinds, etc. Apparently the runway with a headwind was not available due to the technical calculations of wind speed, wet runway, etc for our 777.

OT a bit, but the crew on UA85 was the best I've ever had. A complete 180 from the crew we had on UA90 heading out (the laziest collection of FA I've ever seen). We landed in strong winds, with the captain angling the nose away from the runway until the last few seconds. I'm always amazed at these smooth landings in such conditions.

Anyway, the issue I have with UA is not the diversion. That was prudent. We were getting tossed on approach to IAD, and EWR was apparently much worse in terms of wind speed. The issue I have is that as soon as we landed, we were informed that no flights were available from IAD to EWR for 4 days and that busses would take us up to EWR. While at baggage claim, I saw that UA had loaded a new IAD-EWR flight for today, miraculously on a 777-200! It flew out at what seems to be less than half full. They effectively lied.

I rented a car and drove home. Roads were fine. Long day, though!
Glad you made it home and I understand sometimes the recovery of a diversion is subpar. Thanks for the firsthand account!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gold23

I'd cut them a little slack on this. The irrops were massive with many moving pieces and planes in the wrong places. I'm sure someone on the team decided "hey, we've got a 772 and a bunch of pax here waiting to go to EWR and we need a 772 up there" and scheduled it, very possibly at the same moment you were being told something different.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
I'd cut them a little slack on this. The irrops were massive with many moving pieces and planes in the wrong places. I'm sure someone on the team decided "hey, we've got a 772 and a bunch of pax here waiting to go to EWR and we need a 772 up there" and scheduled it, very possibly at the same moment you were being told something different.
Quite possibly. IAD was a mess yesterday. One of the overwhelmed UA reps at baggage claim said they had 80% of their normal staff and close to 200% more than anticipated in traffic.

I was speaking with a FA as we approached North America, and she said that it is becoming increasingly more common that they are getting their info from passengers as opposed to the cockpit. The UA app showed the IAD-EWR portion of the flight cancelled for almost an hour, and the PA from the cockpit was telling us that we'd be waiting on the ground for a new crew to bring us back up to EWR. When I showed the FA the app and asked if she thought I should make my own plans, she said it would be wise.

Irrops happens and yesterday I knew there was a decent chance of it happening to us. I was thrilled we even got out. But the communication- when UA was already posting the information online- was lax.

Originally Posted by adambrau
Glad you made it home and I understand sometimes the recovery of a diversion is subpar. Thanks for the firsthand account!
Thx! I did run into a couple who were thrilled. Their final destination was actually DC.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2018 at 5:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
UA52 (IAD-ZRH) delayed 2h
UA974 (IAD-GVA) delayed 3h45 - looks likw return to gate and then metal swap. I was on the inbound and we were fine, if anyone knows what happened...?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today's 1/7 UA 135 ZRH-EWR delayed 4h14 ETA 5:59 p.m., vs 1:45 p.m.
Incoming UA 134 from EWR left some 4 hrs late last night due to "severe weather conditions" - wasn't EWR back to operating somewhat normal yesterday SA?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Today's 1/7 UA871 SFO-TPE delayed 4h 5m "due to aircraft maintenance".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.