Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I had the new cheeseburger last week and recall the mayo packet had a notch. Maybe production error on the batch of condiment packets you received.

Originally Posted by DELee
Received my first bread, err I mean cheeseburger in 2018. Spent a number of minutes trying to open the ketchup, mustard and mayo packets - looked for cuts/notches, tried fold/refolding, brute force tear, plastic knife, etc.

Finally gave up and used a nail clipper to snip side notches to open.

Anyway, how are others opening the condiment packets? Am I missing something?

David
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Received my first bread, err I mean cheeseburger in 2018. Spent a number of minutes trying to open the ketchup, mustard and mayo packets - looked for cuts/notches, tried fold/refolding, brute force tear, plastic knife, etc.

David
​​​​​​I find teeth usually work well in these circumstances
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA

David
There's a slit in the top, its a little off center to the right, if it's not there then manufacturer error.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:00 pm

LAX-SIN 2/18
Five spice chicken: 6/10, decent flavor; Lorraine style skillet: 7.5/10, surprisingly good egg dish with cheese.

SIN-LAX 2/18
Chicken stir fry: 4.5/10, needed more sauce; Spinach frittata with sausage and potato: 5/10 quite bland and plated poorly, potatoes were very stale tasting

SFO-EWR redeye Feb 2018
Roast beef and soba noodles 6/10, pretty bland although the salt and pepper packet go a long way, brownie still delicious

kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Feb 20, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Has the Tapas Box been enhanced?

I've noticed a change that I don't like in the Tapas Box that I consumed today. The cheese spread used to be Rondele or Boursin. Today it was a no-name (that I could find) Pepper-Parmesan spread. It wasn't real cheese, but what would be classified as "cheese food" as far as I could make out. It wasn't at all tasty, to me.

Are the nickel and dime food service cuts affecting the Tapas Box?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
I've noticed a change that I don't like in the Tapas Box that I consumed today. The cheese spread used to be Rondele or Boursin. Today it was a no-name (that I could find) Pepper-Parmesan spread. It wasn't real cheese, but what would be classified as "cheese food" as far as I could make out. It wasn't at all tasty, to me.

Are the nickel and dime food service cuts affecting the Tapas Box?
Changes have been made around the beginning of the year. I like the Select box the best but I think Tapas has the most food. More in this thread:
United Economy Choice Menu: Bistro on Board and Snack Shop [2017-2018]
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: None yet

​​​​​
2/5 SFO-EWR 10:40pm (red-eye)
Cold beef noodle
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by moyang_mm

​​​​​
Cold beef noodle
This was in E+? Wow!

David
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: None yet
This was in E+? Wow!

David
Yes. E- gets nothing other than a tiny pack of pretzel.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
This was in E+? Wow!

David
Same meal from LAX-EWR earlier this week. Very nice.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Same meal from LAX-EWR earlier this week. Very nice.
Better than what I:

...or you got recently:

David
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by moyang_mm

​​​​​
Cold beef noodle
That's a winner. From a value perspective that's probably the best meal I've seen posted on these forums (including Domestic F / Polaris, etc.) since early 2017. SFO catering is on point!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 950 IAD-BRU, 2/23/18
777-200, dinner

The pasta answer to "chicken or pasta" was more creative and tasted better than I expected: cheese tortellini in a cream sauce with sage and butternut squash that I had to sop up with the bread afterwards. (My garden features an indestructible sage plant that I never get enough use out of, so I may try to recreate this sauce.) I also appreciated how the salad for once was not based on some kind of grain and included uniformly fresh lettuce.

The "snack" course was the usual domestic bag of pretzels, not even the bread sticks I've had on recent westbound TATL flights. Ice cream was a mango sorbet.

Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I was going to post this in the domestic First Class thread to make everyone jealous, since as a 1K I received this delicious hot egg dish in coach FLL-SFO for free - which is better than what was being served in F for breakfast. With an "extraseat" to block the middle for me, I had more food and space than real FC at half the cost.

Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:37 pm

Now that I know I’m not going to get my upgrade, can anyone tell me what the meal purchase options are for the IAD > HNL flight? I’m stressed out about not having enough to eat on this long flight. I flew SAN > IAD last weekend, and the breakfast sandwiches were sold out by the time they got to me. The only option was a disgusting cheese and crackers box.

Even if if I do get a breakfast sandwich, I don’t think that’s going to cut it for 10 and a half hours. Ugh, it’s going to be a long day.

Actually, it looks like it will be the same choices as on my flight here. Maybe I’ll try to stuff myself at the airport and see if that will last all day.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2018 at 3:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.