Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cricketer
Interestingly the snacks are specified -- cold bites only, sandwiches, sweet and salty snacks, and fresh fruit. Seems as if the grilled cheese and tomato soup is no more, alas.
Was this confirmed as no longer boarded, or just no longer called out as "hot bites" on the menu?
It now lists "comfort foods" along with sandwiches, etc. , but don't know what that means.

With the Feb. 1 slashing of Domestic First meals, it wouldn't surprise me if they chopped into Polaris as well.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Was this confirmed as no longer boarded, or just no longer called out as "hot bites" on the menu?
It now lists "comfort foods" along with sandwiches, etc. , but don't know what that means.

With the Feb. 1 slashing of Domestic First meals, it wouldn't surprise me if they chopped into Polaris as well.
Not boarded/available today. I'm 90% sure the "comfort food" wording was gone, replaced with "fresh fruit", but I forgot to bring the menu or take a picture, so can't confirm.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posted in the "Polaris enhancements" thread, but just for the record in here -- hot bites were available and indicated on the menu on FRA-SFO. One of the FA's indicated that they would be available on the westbound daytime flights ex-Europe, but not on the overnight flights going east, where everyone just sleeps.

Oh, and worth mentioning that the lemongrass chicken is outstanding. Please order it so that it stays in rotation due to high demand - unless you're a GS on my flight, in which case stay away!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Flew BRU-IAD on Friday, Feb 9th.

Service director for J was just lovely (his name was Tom, IIRC). Came by, introduced himself, and said that I shouldn't hesitate to ask him if I needed anything. He pitched in an extra hand during the first meal service, seemed to be a great part of the team.

Menu included lemongrass chicken and chicken on a bed of lettuce. First time for me for the lemongrass chicken and it was as good as everyone has been saying in this and the enhancements thread. Has more veggies than the Spicy Chicken Soup bowl, so I may be more likely to order lemongrass chicken. It was a HUGE chicken breast, very tender and moist. The lemongrass curry was very very tasty.

Two wines on the menu, can't remember if it included hot bites or comfort foods. Attentive crew: when I asked for Glenfarclas neat, the FA was like "double?" and when I was toward the bottom of my single Tom asked if I needed another. My wine glass was never empty, got my gel pillow promptly and with a smile.

Dessert choices included a tiramisu, macarons, and a third item I don't remember. I found the bottom crust of the tiramisu tough and hard to cut with the fork. Bring back the salted caramel squares, I say! That and the apple pies are the only things worth eating. I don't get the macaron craze, and am peeved when I see chocolates on the dessert tray. The least they could offer is a real third dessert. (I rarely get the ice cream.)

Cheeses were three soft cheeses, no bleu/roquefort.

Think they were a Dulles-based crew. Two FAs were a little awkward with me (but I was traveling for 20 hours already at that point after working a 16-hour day and punchy so may not have been making sense) but the one taking care of me was awesome, including joking with me and making me laugh. Enjoyed the service on the flight, have yet to run into a downright surly UA FA in J.

Hunkered down and got comfy with the duvet and eyemask, didn't wake up until we had started the initial descent into Dulles. I have been sleeping like a baby lately on all my Polaris flights, without the help of Ambien. While Polaris may not be everything from Aaaa to Zzzzzz, it certainly has been delivering on the Zzzzzzzzzzs in my case.

Last edited by big V; Feb 12, 2018 at 1:48 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
IAH-EZE meal choices?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by caseminole
IAH-EZE meal choices?
Same as all other non-Asia ex-US flights this month.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United 1k, Le Club Silver
Ice Cream no long in paper cup, but...

2/13 UA 871
SFO - TPE

Ice Cream Sundae was in a glass cup!! However, it was not vanilla ice cream, and in a cube shape. Ice cream looked very "orange," could be mango? I honestly did not know what it was.

The flight attendant did not warn us that it was not vanilla. It tasted awful with the chocolate topping.

Rest of the meal was nothing special. The only hot bites were Korean cup noodles.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pollyG
2/13 UA 871
SFO - TPE

Ice Cream Sundae was in a glass cup!! However, it was not vanilla ice cream, and in a cube shape. Ice cream looked very "orange," could be mango? I honestly did not know what it was.

The flight attendant did not warn us that it was not vanilla. It tasted awful with the chocolate topping....
Probably mango sorbet. Had it a couple of days ago. I think it tastes good (w/o toppings). Not sure who the culinary genius is at UA catering who thinks chocolate syrup is a good topping on mango anything.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 14, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
2/13 UA 871
SFO - TPE

The flight attendant did not warn us that it was not vanilla. It tasted awful with the chocolate topping.

Rest of the meal was nothing special. The only hot bites were Korean cup noodles.
Sounds gross. Not surprised the crew just ignored it
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
So are the paper sundae cups gone? Any other reports?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
it was not vanilla ice cream, and in a cube shape. Ice cream looked very "orange," could be mango?
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Probably mango sorbet.
They must have gotten a great price.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
They must have gotten a great price.
Might be leftovers after they cut all those sorbets and sundaes from Domestic catering! Perhaps they found a pallet sitting in a freezer!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I flew PEK-ORD yesterday and paper ice cream cups were still used on the flight.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not sure who the culinary genius is at UA catering who thinks chocolate syrup is a good topping on mango anything.
Same idiot that thinks Balsamic vinaigrette is the only salad dressing in the world, and it tastes great on any type of salad.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:59 am

UA37
Feb 13, 2018
LAX-SIN
Hot bites are not gone. You'll need to ask the crew.
Sundae in proper bowls albeit plastic.

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.