Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA IK, HGP Diamond, AA, KF, Hhonnors Gold, Carlson Gold, PC Plat, Accor Gold
Not a mistake. Recently from SFO to SIN during Thanksgiving, we had the same icecream in polaris which is same as Y.

In my opinion, the polaris meal is getting worse and worst. here what i notice on my last trip

1. Nut was not prewarm. It's cold
2. instead of 3 different white/red wine, they are now down to 2.
3. Hallway Snack was getting very basic ( Banana, Cold Sandwich and chip)
4. Ice cream was not a sundae anymore instead it was economy class ice cream
5. sweet tray is getting simple and simple.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jowo
Not a mistake. Recently from SFO to SIN during Thanksgiving, we had the same icecream in polaris which is same as Y.

In my opinion, the polaris meal is getting worse and worst. here what i notice on my last trip

Did the menu indicate "hot bites" for mid-flight snack? Usually sandwiches and/or noodles are available on request but never proactively offered.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Items 2. and 4. are nominally catering mistakes. There are supposed to be three wines of each colour, and the ice cream is supposed to be sundae. However, what you describe seems to happen with regularity and has happened to me, so it's hard to justify calling it truly a mistake.

In general I agree that the meal service is being degraded significantly.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Did the menu indicate "hot bites" for mid-flight snack? Usually sandwiches and/or noodles are available on request but never proactively offered.
On all the TPAC flights the convenience noodles (typically nong shim brand) are put out in the hallway, but the hot snacks of fried rice or grilled cheese are indeed request-only and not well (barely at all!) advertised.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
There are supposed to be three wines of each colour,
On my recent LAX-LHR flight earlier this month, they only had two of each color and that's exactly what the menu said to expect so I think they've reduced the choice.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
On my recent LAX-LHR flight earlier this month, they only had two of each color and that's exactly what the menu said to expect so I think they've reduced the choice.
The menu has never clearly committed to three wines. I have been on flights with only two as long ago as a year and was on a flight with three wines last month. I've no idea what they do with the catering that makes the ability to load three wines so variable, but until there are consistent reports of two only, I think three is the intended norm.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I've no idea what they do with the catering that makes the ability to load three wines so variable...
Maybe catering itself consumes the third option before it reaches the plane?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
In general I agree that the meal service is being degraded significantly.
Perhaps this is by design so when the switch to pre-plated occurs we will think it is wonderful...........Nah.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Maybe catering itself consumes the third option before it reaches the plane?
Well that would seem to explain several things, actually.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

2. There are two red wines that are listed on the menu but on all my flights there was third one on the cart. On the last two flight it was an Australian Shiraz. I did not check on the white wine since I was not interested in that.

3. On my flight HKG-ORD last week, I could smell the warm sandwiches when I was half-asleep. I guess that means that some passengers near me ordered them. A proverb says: "Qui dort dine" (when you are asleep you don't feel hungry). So, I transitioned to full sleep.

EWR-HKG, both my wife and I had the spicy chicken. Same dish, different presentation. I had no spoon and the lemon wedge was in the sauce. My wife was given a spoon with the lemon wedge on top of it. She liked that presentation as it means no sauce on her fingers when squeezing the lemon. The Champagne was: Lanson Black Label Brut.

HKG-ORD, different dishes. I had the pan-fried beef tenderloin. It was inedible. I only ate 20%. My wife had the halibut fillet with garlic prawns. She usually would not eat halibut but she did not like any of the other choices. She said the dish was very good and the shrimp very fresh. Only one type of macaron: green, so most probably pistachio. I had two as my dessert after the cheese and port. When I went to the galley in the middle of the night, I saw my wife standing there with a dish of three macarons. She was nice enough to give me one. The Champagne was: I don't remember, it was a very long name with many different words that I had never seen before.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The Champagne was: Lanson Black Label Brut.
I would very much like to see this adopted as the 'standard' Polaris Champagne. It was included in some of the early campaigns but I haven't seen it on board yet.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:36 am

POlaris meals

folks

flying UA 49 BOM-EWR soon. Can anybody comment on the quality of meals in business and is it ok to stick with what's being offered or have you had a better experience requesting a special meal?

Thx
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Depends highly on how particular and/or fussy you are.
Overall the meals are decent, and they offer several choices. Keep in mind that if you are not GS or 1K you may not get your first choice of meal though.
Some more reading:

2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

and

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g/special.html
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
UA 82 EWR-DEL 15 Dec. A pretty tasty mutton biryani (after mixing it all together)

The pre-arrival Indisn breakfast wasn't bad either. Everything else (salad/app/dessert) you've seen a thousand times so won't bother posting.

Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:40 am

is it possible to select the dinner but eat 4 hours later? I plan to take a nap first since flight leaves at 12am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:52 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by sam007
is it possible to select the dinner but eat 4 hours later? I plan to take a nap first since flight leaves at 12am
Absolutely. That's part of the deal. Remember it takes about 30 minutes to prepare. I do this all the time to SYD and SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.