2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Nov 4, 18, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Plat
Ua895/01nov ord-hkg

Salad and chilled appetizer. Nori wrapped smoked salmon.

Grilled pork chop with mustard demi-glace

Sundae

Tom yum shrimp fried rice

Chicken congee
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Nov 5, 18, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
The first SFO-PPT is on Tuesday (10/30) I'll be interested to hear how that is catered. SFO-PPT is a fairly normal 2:00pm departure, the return is quite late at night at 10:40pm, that would mean the promised Dinner would be served at about 11:30 - that's very late. I'm hoping for a snack and then a full meal a couple hours out of SFO (we land at 8:45am)
FWIW, looks like The Points Guy took 114 last night and he posted on his Instagram story feed the menu from the flight which looked to be a full dinner and then a Quiche Lorraine or a Tomato an Cheese Panini for the arrival meal.
Old Nov 5, 18, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
UA28 SIN-SFO 11/4

Appetizer - pistachio-crusted tuna and salad. Gotta love the entire one (count 'em!) olive. Tasted just fine, though.

Entree - Sauteed prawns - decent enough, but looking at my neighbor, I probably should've gone for the beef option in retrospect.

Pre-arrival meal - Indonesian fried noodles (bakmi goreng) - I actually had rather high hopes for this given the SIN departure and was greatly disappointed. I've had better meals even in UA Y. Wine was also frigid and undrinkable.
Old Nov 5, 18, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.5 MM
Originally Posted by Santander View Post
UA28 SIN-SFO 11/4

Pre-arrival meal - Indonesian fried noodles (bakmi goreng) - I actually had rather high hopes for this given the SIN departure and was greatly disappointed. I've had better meals even in UA Y. Wine was also frigid and undrinkable.
Undrinkable is United's primary wine provider at the moment.
Old Nov 6, 18, 2:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Come 1 February 2019, people are going to look back at these entrees and wish they still had them. What's next? Pre-plated Polaris meals, courtesy of yet another Polaris roll back.
UA_Flyer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Nov 6, 18, 8:19 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Explorist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Come 1 February 2019, people are going to look back at these entrees and wish they still had them. What's next? Pre-plated Polaris meals, courtesy of yet another Polaris roll back.
Where are you hearing this? Check that statement. I see the thread about "streamlined" service.

I understand the concern but I don't know what this will do to the quality of the meals. UA is clearly looking to reduce personnel costs because of their contracts. I don't know how this will degrade quality or change the range of options..

Last edited by mh3265a; Nov 6, 18 at 8:27 am
Old Nov 6, 18, 4:41 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million M; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
Preplated meals and crew reduced by one. Kirby’s mitts are all over this. Read the internal memo explaining these “enhancements”: an insult to a CroMagnon’s intelligence
Old Nov 6, 18, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Took five UA international flights and five SQ flights in the past six weeks. I still take photos of all the business class meals served on the planes Judging from what were served on UA vs SQ, I am glad I have stopped posting UA meal photos in this forum.

Perhaps I should restart posting photos of the meals while they are still photographable until pre plated meals kick in next year.

Hard to to imagine what pre plated meals would look like....I guess it will look similar to what economy meals look like but on a nicer plate.
MatthewLAX likes this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Nov 6, 18 at 11:39 pm
Old Nov 6, 18, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Took five UA international flights and five SQ flights in the past six weeks. I still take photos of all the business class meals served on the planes Judging from what were served on US vs SQ, I am glad I have stopped posting UA meal photos in this forum.

Perhaps I should restart posting photos of the meals while they are still photographable unless pre plated meals kick in next year.

Hard to to imagine what pre plated meals would look like....I guess it will look similar to what economy meals look like but on a nicer plate.
I do wish you would still post meal pictures, as tragic as the meals have become.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 6, 18, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I guess I'm confused - what is wrong with a pre-plated meal? I've had plenty of pre-plated meals from the frozen food section of the supermarket to pop in the microwave, and the vast majority of them way better than UA biz class offerings. Or, is that something different?
Old Nov 6, 18, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
UA 917 SFO-AKL - 31 October 2018

I was too tired on boarding to bother with dinner and went to sleep. That turned out to be an excellent decision as per my post in the Polaris Business Class Seats and service thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30401223-post4332.html

I did wake for breakfast. I found the service uninspired. The purser was serving things like the breads and coffee and he seemed to skip seats. He brought some of us coffee, but no cream etc.

Where we were at the time.

I opted for the fruit & cereal choice.

On the plus side, there was a nice selection and decent quantity. On the down side, most of the choices were various forms of sugar. And yes, I chose the cinnamon danish as the croissant neither looked real nor appealing. I also did not eat the cereal and milk.

Speaking of sugar, this cookie was great.

Little danish was cute, but dry.

I admit I liked the cute butter dish and pattern on the butter. Hey, I consider this a form of IFE.

Old Nov 6, 18, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
That is just a sad looking breakfast Kind of a poor economy class breakfast spread out over business class space and serving utensils.
Old Nov 6, 18, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That is just a sad looking breakfast Kind of a poor economy class breakfast spread out over business class space and serving utensils.
Wait until you see how sad the breakfast was on UA 916. It makes 917 look great.
Old Nov 7, 18, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Menus

UA 917 SFO-AKL - 31 October 2018

All pages

UA 916 AKL-SFO - 5 November 2018

Meal pages

Old Nov 7, 18, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 916 AKL-SFO - 5 November 2018

I skipped PDB.

For drinks with nuts, I chose water.

Then I asked for the Dasani sparkling lime. I thought it would have a bit more flavour, but it was fine.

Salad was fresh. As for the appetizer, here's the thing - if you are going to serve a small portion of tomato and mozzarella as an appetizer, then use a smaller dish. It looks like they only gave you half the portion, which is obviously not the case, but still.

This beef meal was quite nice. The sides were tasty, the beef was edible and not overcooked and the sauce was spicy and had nice flavor.

I was disappointed that there was no chocolate sauce. The only 2 choices were butterscotch and Nutella.

I should have skipped the Nutella and found some Bailey's or similar to pour on instead.

The FA suggested trying the cakes. Both were dry and neither had much taste.

A few photos of the other dessert trolley in the mid-galley

Nice presentation/decoration

Breakfast, sort of

The "breads" were barely warm. The apple danish was ok and the mini-croissant wasn't a croissant of course.

Once again, we have a large serving dish with few items for the main fruit meal portion.
The fruit was not ripe and was dried out. The pineapple had brown parts.

I noticed that those who chose the omelette got a small side of fruit which looked fresh and tasty and had watermelon and similar.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: