Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by elynchking
Biggest disappointment was the cheese...
This has been my issue with UA for a loooong time. It appears whoever is putting together their cheese selection has NO IDEA (* see note) what cheese is supposed to taste like. There are GREAT cheeses available in this world but UA consistently offers the most awful ones.

* Note: either they have no idea, or their budget is limited to $0.37/person.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
This has been my issue with UA for a loooong time. It appears whoever is putting together their cheese selection has NO IDEA (* see note) what cheese is supposed to taste like. There are GREAT cheeses available in this world but UA consistently offers the most awful ones.

I'm old enough to remember CO used to have a cheese tray and you could pick the cheeses you wanted and they were excellent.
st530 and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik

Indeed, I had written into CS at least 3 times a while ago. I specifically mentioned that out of places like ZRH it should be very easy to add some Switzerland-made varieties - as local products should be out of other EU stations.
It appears, no chance to move the needle.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Indeed, I had written into CS at least 3 times a while ago. I specifically mentioned that out of places like ZRH it should be very easy to add some Switzerland-made varieties - as local products should be out of other EU stations.
It appears, no chance to move the needle.
So I learned that everything is sourced centrally by LH SkyChefs for all EU stations and moved to the local facility ... hence you see the exact same British packaged mid flight snack items across all stations; salad dressing; the same bulk-purchased cheese (that honestly tastes like it’s come from outside the EU from synthesized cow milk); likely the medium rare garlic bread; etc. In Y, all of the meals are centrally produced, frozen, and distributed among the stations and thawed / heated on board.

Don’t even get me started on those awful packaged cream crackers ... miss that old cheese platter so much.

I’ve started really enjoying flying out of non-LH Skychef stations like SYD for a change of pace and choices. The cheeses were great. Oh, la vache!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by greenpau

So I learned that everything is sourced centrally by LH SkyChefs for all EU stations and moved to the local facility ... hence you see the exact same British packaged mid flight snack items across all stations; salad dressing; the same bulk-purchased cheese (that honestly tastes like it’s come from outside the EU from synthesized cow milk); likely the medium rare garlic bread; etc. In Y, all of the meals are centrally produced, frozen, and distributed among the stations and thawed / heated on board.

Don’t even get me started on those awful packaged cream crackers ... miss that old cheese platter so much.

I’ve started really enjoying flying out of non-LH Skychef stations like SYD for a change of pace and choices. The cheeses were great. Oh, la vache!
This would explain why they serve bottled German mineral water when flying out of LHR. Having said that, I think the food is marginally better flying ex-EU. Back on topic though, the cheese is truly appalling whichever direction you fly.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This would explain why they serve bottled German mineral water when flying out of LHR. Having said that, I think the food is marginally better flying ex-EU. Back on topic though, the cheese is truly appalling whichever direction you fly.
Given the pitiful wine selections UA offers, why would you expect anything different whn it comes to cheese? Despite the hype surrounding Polaris, UA's goal is to serve the cheapest food and drink they can get away with.

Last edited by halls120; Oct 30, 2018 at 6:06 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:14 am

I always think that the food is very good on Polaris. Looking at pictures and menu items from other airlines, I am mostly put off by the choices. Certainly not a fan of odd sounding ingredients and weird sounding flavor combinations.

Regarding the cheese, Ive have the largest and most enjoyable piece of parmigianno on my flight from MXP in Polaris that I’ve ever had.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Meola10
Regarding the cheese, Ive have the largest and most enjoyable piece of parmigianno on my flight from MXP in Polaris that I’ve ever had.
The parmigiano is the only cheese I eat in Polaris but it's not always there.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I always think that the food is very good on Polaris.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I always think that the food is very good on Polaris. Looking at pictures and menu items from other airlines, I am mostly put off by the choices. Certainly not a fan of odd sounding ingredients and weird sounding flavor combinations.

Weird. That's exactly what I think about some of UA's food offerings, especially when they try to sweeten items which are meant to be savoury.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
No accounting for taste, one way or another.

David
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
10/25

UA 888 SFO-PEK 1045-1420 (+1) 777-300

PDB of OJ, water or Champagne in a real glass, nice touch there

Love it when a flight attendant gives you that automatic double (Buffalo Trace)

Prawns were decent (though a little sauce for them would be nice) and the salad was a salad

The Three Cup Chicken was awful. Tasted like a microwave Chinese meal. Actually probably worse, those usually have flavor.

I was happy with the cheese plate and the Port

Galley snacks

The congee ended up being really bland, even by congee standards, so I wished I'd gone with the Western option.

Overall, pretty meh food for my first Polaris flight.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
10/29

UA 142 NRT-DEN 1815-1340 787-800

PDB of Champagne, Water or OJ in real glasses again

Sadly they ran out of the IPA after I only had one

The Japanese meal was good but pretty hit or miss. Some bites were excellent and others awful

The entree though was really good. Though I find it odd the soup comes with the entree not the appetizer tray

Galley snack cart

The quiche was meh. Also who wants breakfast at noon local?

Slightly better food than my outbound, the Japanese meal helped
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: UA GS, QF Plat, Marriot/SPG Plat, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by st530
Here you go.
Mine looked better than that. Did you like it?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by willfam3

Mine looked better than that. Did you like it?
Yes. I've had it twice now. In the version shown in the pic, the soba noodles were a bit hard and clumpy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.