Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Polaris First. ORD to PVG. How hard is it to provide flawless lunch service in a cabin with 6 passengers? The FA forgot to serve me the cheese plate. When another FA coming from Polaris Business came to serve the pastries, I asked for the cheese. Business FA asks First FA to serve me the Port. First FA says he does not have any. Business FA brings me what was leftover from Business Polaris: one drop. She stated: "Sorry, it's all gone. This is just for the taste". This made me remember the good times on US Airways Envoy Class where the FAs did not know what fortified wine was and were serving it in a wine glass filled to the top.
This seems to be an on-going issue. Several times in Polaris Business, they run out of champagne. This is the first time I have heard of UA running out of port. Surely in Polaris First, they can stock an adequate supply!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This seems to be an on-going issue. Several times in Polaris Business, they run out of champagne. This is the first time I have heard of UA running out of port. Surely in Polaris First, they can stock an adequate supply!
And for sure it was not the three children in Polaris First that were drinking the Port. The First FA was an ornery guy. Never cracked a smile the whole 14 hours. Maybe he did not want to open the Port for one passenger requesting it. Does it come out of his paycheck?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by FragranceMarketingGuy
I see the ice cream sundae is still in a paper cup. Wow.
Yup, both ways TATL last week
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I've noticed on several recent flights that the late-flight champagne has been "enhanced" to domestic prosecco. They seem to keep that in reserve for when the good (it's all relative here, folks) stuff runs out. Oh, United.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Which flight number? Did the early FRA-ORD (UA945 IIRC) go back to breakfast?
Yes, UA 945 does serve these breakfast main options.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by st530
I've noticed on several recent flights that the late-flight champagne has been "enhanced" to domestic prosecco. They seem to keep that in reserve for when the good (it's all relative here, folks) stuff runs out. Oh, United.
My understanding is that they cater 2 bottles of champagne to Polaris Business (I don't think this is sufficient), and they're *supposed* to do 2 bottles of vintage champagne for First. However, on a recent flight on UA949, they only catered 2 bottles of champagne - Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Reserve which I think UA could improve upon. However, as they didn't cater any for F, one bottle was given to F, and the other was sparingly distributed in J. Worse yet, 7/8 pax in F were non-rev.

FA tried to offer sparkling wine (I'm not sure if it was even prosecco) when we asked for Champagne, as I think they wanted to give both bottles to F, but I said absolutely not, so received 1 glass of champagne each.
Also, they only catered 1 bottle of Riesling and 1 bottle of Chardonnay for J, which ran out very quickly.

I don't know if it was a failure, or intentional, but I'm not impressed. I tend to buy P class fares for personal travel, and for Ł2K+ I'm expecting champagne and wines that cost more than Ł6 (one of the wines on the menu was genuinely retailing for Ł6, and not rated very highly at all).
I'm also deeply unimpressed that non-rev F were prioritised over revenue J pax. I would also be furious if I was on a paid F ticket and received Ł29 NV champagne.

6-9 months ago, they were serving Pommery Grand Cru 2006 vintage in J, so what's happened?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS
My last 2 Polaris First flights only served Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Reserve too and indeed had only 1 bottle.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
My last 2 Polaris First flights only served Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Reserve too and indeed had only 1 bottle.
I'm guessing they've exhausted their stocks of Ayala vintage, and with F closing for reservation on some routes as soon as April, I guess they've decided not to re-supply F with premium champagne.
Having flown *A partners AC, LH, and LX I am surprised at the quality and quantity of wine & champagne catered on UA, it's genuinely not enough of quality or quantity.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by skycrab
My understanding is that they cater 2 bottles of champagne to Polaris Business (I don't think this is sufficient), and they're *supposed* to do 2 bottles of vintage champagne for First. However, on a recent flight on UA949, they only catered 2 bottles of champagne - Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Reserve which I think UA could improve upon. However, as they didn't cater any for F, one bottle was given to F, and the other was sparingly distributed in J. Worse yet, 7/8 pax in F were non-rev.

FA tried to offer sparkling wine (I'm not sure if it was even prosecco) when we asked for Champagne, as I think they wanted to give both bottles to F, but I said absolutely not, so received 1 glass of champagne each.
Also, they only catered 1 bottle of Riesling and 1 bottle of Chardonnay for J, which ran out very quickly.

I don't know if it was a failure, or intentional, but I'm not impressed. I tend to buy P class fares for personal travel, and for Ł2K+ I'm expecting champagne and wines that cost more than Ł6 (one of the wines on the menu was genuinely retailing for Ł6, and not rated very highly at all).
I'm also deeply unimpressed that non-rev F were prioritised over revenue J pax. I would also be furious if I was on a paid F ticket and received Ł29 NV champagne.

6-9 months ago, they were serving Pommery Grand Cru 2006 vintage in J, so what's happened?
skycrab - Thank you for these observations. UA 949 is LHR-SFO, an 11 hour flight (3 class). I note a P fare might be $4000 return (if available), and A $11500. No wonder 7/8 pax in F were non-rev. It is clear that UA has made a deliberate decision to understock the wine bottles in J and F. In comparison, when I fly TG J in Asia, they just don't run out. For pax travelling on their own dime, I cannot see paying for UA J/F, unless one wishes to achieve GS status.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
If I routinely bought paid F on UA and they routinely ran out of champagne, I'd write a letter to Oscar and enclose copies of all my BPs and ask him if he's really trying to drive me to the competition.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:55 pm

I'm guessing this is one reason they no longer list their champagne in the menu.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
11JAN UA37 LAX-SIN (also for SFO-SIN)
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is that just an errant 'k' that got past the copy editors?

Oh heck, why am I assuming anyone copy edits this menu??
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
LHR-IAH Jan 11 - Stopped by Global First Lounge for brunch before the flight

Stopped by Global First Lounge for brunch before catching the 1:35 pm flight.
jazzhou likes this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 13, 2018 at 11:07 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that they cater 2 bottles of champagne to Polaris Business .....
There might be quite a difference on a 752 with 16 seats vs a 77W with 60 seats.
Luckily, sofar I always got my couple of glasses of champagne along the appetizer.
But I noticed that the drink cart going around always lacked the Champagne, maybe because they're undersupplied.

Last edited by cesco.g; Jan 14, 2018 at 12:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.