2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Feb 17, 18, 11:49 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Delaware
Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Posts: 926
Does anyone know what the selection of Mid-Flight snacks is on the Australia Flights is? I'm assuming the Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup is available, but are there any other choices?

Also, do EWR - FCO / PVG (both directions) offer a Mid-Flight selection?
phkc070408 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 18, 12:46 pm
  #152  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 6,655
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
Does anyone know what the selection of Mid-Flight snacks is on the Australia Flights is? I'm assuming the Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup is available, but are there any other choices?

Also, do EWR - FCO / PVG (both directions) offer a Mid-Flight selection?
Also beef & noodle, mentioned the other day.
EWR-FCO shouldn't eastbound. PVG should be both ways
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Feb 22, 18, 4:01 pm
  #153  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 6,655
21FEB UA101 IAH-SYD
Of course I had the chicken, yum. As a bonus, the breakfast omelet was the spicy fiesta/southwestern one ^
Mid-flight hot snacks: grilled chesse sandwich, lobster mac n cheese.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Feb 22, 18, 9:50 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1
Any idea what the food is like on the seasonal Europe flights, specifically EWR - VCE?
Bob Barber is offline  
Old Feb 22, 18, 10:16 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,010
Pepper!

It appears to me that the [now not so new] Polaris pepper shaker is almost unusable, due to its three holes being the exact same size as the ground pepper inside,
and thus no matter how vigorously one shakes the darn thing.....no pepper comes out.

Apparently my continued frustration with this was shared with an EXCELLENT crew on EWR-PEK (Feb 21) where an FA used a proper pepper mill and was going around from seat-to-seat offering it to J passengers.
A nice and welcome touch!
restlessinRNO and wrp96 like this.
narvik is offline  
Old Feb 22, 18, 10:19 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,830
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
It appears to me that the [now not so new] Polaris pepper shaker is almost unusable, due to its three holes being the exact same size as the ground pepper inside,
and thus no matter how vigorously one shakes the darn thing.....no pepper comes out.

Apparently my continued frustration with this was shared with an EXCELLENT crew on EWR-PEK (Feb 21) where an FA used a proper pepper mill and was going around from seat-to-seat offering it to J passengers.
A nice and welcome touch!
Just pop the little ball open. Half the passengers on any given flight don't know how to operate the thing and do so inadvertently, so you'll be in good company.

Wonder if that FA brought the pepper mill personally. If so I imagine there's something health and safety might want to say, but ^ nevertheless.
fumje is offline  
Old Feb 22, 18, 10:42 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Just pop the little ball open.
It OPENS??? How, exactly? (I always wondered how they filled them! lol)


Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Wonder if that FA brought the pepper mill personally. If so I imagine there's something health and safety might want to say, ...
Was wondering the same thing, if it was a personal mill. It would be a sad day if that weren't allowed though. But I understand the issues.
narvik is offline  
Old Feb 22, 18, 10:55 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,830
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
It OPENS??? How, exactly? (I always wondered how they filled them! lol)




Was wondering the same thing, if it was a personal mill. It would be a sad day if that weren't allowed though. But I understand the issues.
There's a seam near the 'equator'—you can pry with a fork from there, or alternatively grip the halves and squeeze the inner while pulling the outer, if that makes any sense. Beware of causing a little pepper fireworks show, though.
narvik likes this.
fumje is offline  
Old Feb 22, 18, 11:29 pm
  #159  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,338
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Wonder if that FA brought the pepper mill personally. If so I imagine there's something health and safety might want to say, but ^ nevertheless.
If I recall, F is provisioned with one, so maybe there's actually a rogue one in the J galley that isn't used? (yes, I'm aware EWR-PEK is 2-class)
findark is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 1:31 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,355
On UA1 SFO-SIN, the main course choices were Short Rib, a chicken dish which I didn't pay attention to since I'm allergic to birds, a halibut, shrimp, and scallop dish with chili sauce, and an Indian veg dish with chick peas, lentils, and rice. I went for the fish combo and it tasted sweet and spicy - a flavor that Singaporeans will like, I imagine. There was one piece of halibut, one scallop, and one shrimp - along with a scoop of rice and a couple tablespoons of cut up vegetables - onions, red pepper, mushrooms. Desserts were not as tasty as I recall - except for the apple pie, which was served warm. Cheese course was good. The hot bite was tomato soup and grilled cheese, also good. You need a mid flight snack with the skimpy portions now served for dinner.
transportprof is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 1:55 am
  #161  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Seoul
Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Plat
Posts: 939
I'm absolutely in love with the Spicy Chicken dish. I always pray for it to be available.
warrenw is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 5:40 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 8,758
Had the best main course yesterday that I've ever seen on UA, flying SFO-LHR. It was a kale and quinoa salad with Grilled Chicken. The FA said that they only boarded 4 and it was bound to run out. The advantages of 1K meant I got it, and could look at all the stodge being served elsewhere.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 2:55 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: dark side of the moon
Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Posts: 707
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
.....I went for the fish combo and it tasted sweet and spicy - a flavor that Singaporeans will like, I imagine. There was one piece of halibut, one scallop, and one shrimp - along with a scoop of rice and a couple tablespoons of cut up vegetables - onions, red pepper, mushrooms.
I've had the halibut 'stir fry' twice this last 10 days TPAC and I really liked it both times. I've had the haddock twice TPAC - once was pretty good; once was pretty awful.

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
You need a mid flight snack with the skimpy portions now served for dinner.
....You can easily pack in 2K+ calories in dinner TPAC.....

The Cheese Plate, Green tea 'cake' and the cheese cakes I find difficult to pass on but I'm quite proud that over 4PS J and 4 TPAC J over the last 10 days I've managed to pass on the ice cream.
ermintrude is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 5:27 pm
  #164  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 1,110
any idea when the menu is supposed to be switched up again?
atcanobbio is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 7:01 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: ORD
Programs: 1K
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by atcanobbio View Post
any idea when the menu is supposed to be switched up again?
I was told May by someone who works at United.
SkiPremier is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: