Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Thumbs up

This looks really solid.

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
UA37
Feb 13, 2018
LAX-SIN
Hot bites are not gone. You'll need to ask the crew.
Sundae in proper bowls albeit plastic.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA37
Feb 13, 2018
LAX-SIN
​​​​​​
Thanks for the feedback, ual744777!
That hot bite looks pretty nice. Was it like some noodle with beef dish (?) - how did it taste ?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS
When I flew Polaris First from GRU - ORD on January 7th, the champagne was the Nicolas Feuillatte 2009 (blech). Boarding ORD - AMS in a couple hours, can't wait to see what swill is being served in regular Polaris.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by DRC1985
When I flew Polaris First from GRU - ORD on January 7th, the champagne was the Nicolas Feuillatte 2009 (blech). Boarding ORD - AMS in a couple hours, can't wait to see what swill is being served in regular Polaris.
In Polaris Lounge now.
Hoping for a sub to a 2-cabin 767.
GS agent told me your flight got the sub.
Nice going!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA37
Feb 13, 2018
LAX-SIN
Sundae in proper bowls albeit plastic.

​​​​​​
What was the noodle thing? Was that a "hot bite"?

Damn, my mom just got op-uped ORD-PEK. Her first and prob only polaris flight she'll ever take. I reminded her about the 3P's (pillow, pad, pjs), forgot to remind her about the hotbites. I wish the FA's would proactively offer all the amenities. It's hard to remember all the hidden ones. (Hidden = requires reading)

Last edited by eng3; Feb 15, 2018 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:32 pm

The small noodle bowl with beef was pretty good and is offered as a hot bite along with the grilled cheese and soup. The grilled cheese wasn't that good but the soup was good. The cold snacks where the PS style wraps and instant noodles along with snacks seen in domestic F.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I flew PEK-ORD yesterday and paper ice cream cups were still used on the flight.
Maybe they did not get the new plastic ones yet?

I think the difference for the hot bites now, on the flights that still have them, is that the cheese is not American cheese and they don't list the choices on the menu. The menu is shorter now so maybe that is why. Or, they are trying to gradually phase the hot bites out, which I don't think is smart for flights > 11 hours.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:16 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Ice cream is real bowls last night on ORD-LHR. Bowls somewhat smaller than before, but they did have a Polaris look to them. And it was vanilla.

I also wanted one of those mini apple pies. My flight attendant suggested warm caramel sauce and whipped cream on it. Oh my. Winner! ^
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Ice cream is real bowls last night on ORD-LHR. Bowls somewhat smaller than before, but they did have a Polaris look to them. And it was vanilla.

I also wanted one of those mini apple pies. My flight attendant suggested warm caramel sauce and whipped cream on it. Oh my. Winner! ^
The bowl definitely looks nice - even though it is plastic.

I always ask for all 3 desserts to try. They warmed up the apple pie - not sure if it was standard practice - and it tasted very good.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:15 am

Why do they use regular silverware for the mid-flight snacks? It seems like a waste considering not everyone will order the snack. Plastic would be much easier to handle and that means less cleaning and less to keep track of on the catering carts.
Same with the tables clothes used for the snack service. I dont think they would reuse the tablesclothes from dinner unless that passenger orders the snack right after dinner. Sure there might be a couple spares of silverware, tableclothes and linen napkins but I just dont like the idea of boarding a bunch of extra stuff that only might get used.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meola10
Why do they use regular silverware for the mid-flight snacks? It seems like a waste considering not everyone will order the snack. Plastic would be much easier to handle and that means less cleaning and less to keep track of on the catering carts.
Same with the tables clothes used for the snack service. I dont think they would reuse the tablesclothes from dinner unless that passenger orders the snack right after dinner. Sure there might be a couple spares of silverware, tableclothes and linen napkins but I just dont like the idea of boarding a bunch of extra stuff that only might get used.
Is this Mr. Kirby? There is a tradeoff between reducing weight (and waste/environmental impact) and product quality.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by username
The bowl definitely looks nice - even though it is plastic.

I always ask for all 3 desserts to try. They warmed up the apple pie - not sure if it was standard practice - and it tasted very good.
Just got the new bowl and didn't realize it was plastic until I had to pick up the bowl to stab the ice cream that was still too frozen in the middle. Bowl has good weight to it is not cheap plastic.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
they need all of the silver and china at the next station where it will be washed and reused. If they use disposable the system would break down with servingware in the wrong locations and not enough of it in others.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I disagree. The table cloths and really cutlerly preserve the dignity of the cabin. Pre-departure beverages should also be in a glass.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Feb China-US flights

Photos taken on UA 850 PEK-ORD on Feb 14. Ice Cream served in paper cup and the hot bite is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich (FA did not offer another hot bite options)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.