Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk

see menu below or above as posted
Yep, same menu I've gotten twice this year. As an AA flyer slowly migrating over to UA, I will say that I found both the beef and chicken to be quite good (chicken ex-SFO, beef ex-BOS).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by fumje
I like kale.
But honestly, kale in every entree?

I read an article somewhere where some chef asked if kale hired a PR agent. It's everywhere. Not a fan, I feel like I'm eating shreds of tree bark.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1kBill
But honestly, kale in every entree?

I read an article somewhere where some chef asked if kale hired a PR agent. It's everywhere. Not a fan, I feel like I'm eating shreds of tree bark.
Well I'm only going to eat one of them.

In seriousness, though, I agree it's bad form to have such limited variety. I guess perhaps whatever soybean contract UA had has currently run out, but for a while it seemed soybeans were in everything. Perhaps they replaced that one with a kale supply contract.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:26 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by CMK10
UA 683 RDU-SFO 1835-2144 A-319

Full PDB

I thought PDB stood for Pre-Departure Beverage, but I see it from time to time with a ramekin of nuts like in the above photo. What does PDB stand for these days?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:10 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Forgot to take a picture, but option last week EWR-PUJ breakfast flight were:

1. huevos Rancheros
2. Apple soufflé

I chose the apple soufflé, which was delicious. Made me miss the French toast soufflé which I haven’t seen in a while.

Definitely much better options than the standard domestic kale egg pasty thing.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 1984SW
I thought PDB stood for Pre-Departure Beverage, but I see it from time to time with a ramekin of nuts like in the above photo. What does PDB stand for these days?
PDB is still pre-departure beverage.
In the quoted clip, I take it to mean that a full PBD was offered, just not photographed. Then the first photo is of the nut service.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yesterday's flight from hell...

ORD-LAX
UA 1052
757-300 with crappy new uncomfortable "First" slider seats
December 5, 2018
7:39pm-10:14pm sked
8:48pm-11:38p actual

Where do I start? Note to United. Zone 1&2 boarding does not work well at B7. Fortunately, there was enough room between the front of the mob and the wall for 1Ks to slide past. First a one hour mechanical delay with zero explanation from flight deck, only an FA providing infrequent information. Then a pax decided he didn't really want to go to LAX after all, so let's hook up the jet bridge for the third time. In flight, a pax locked him/herself in the 2L lav and the crew had to remove the door to get him/her out. Needless to say the lav went in-op for the remainder of the flight, with the inevitable parade of Y pax to the F lav. Our late LAX arrival was delayed even further as curfew sent us out over the Pacific to loop back and land from the west. Overly cautious captain asked FA's to prepare for landing and take jump seats early due to "turbulence", when there was zero to negligible turbulence all the way down. Then we had to remain seated when we arrived to wait for EMT/LAFD to board and tend with a medical emergency. Not sure how much of an emergency it really was as the pax in question calmly walked off with medics a couple of minutes after they boarded. Nice way to beat the rest of the pax off the plane though. LOL.

And then there was "dinner" served at 11pm Central, even later in 6F. It's been 4 or 5 months since my last UA dinner fight but is this really the new Kirby norm? Choice of Four Cheese Ravioli or Cheeseburger? I made the mistake of going with the cheeseburger. I didn't even finish half of it.

Yeah, because I only like a tomato on 1/3 of my burger.

Dinner on the competition? I've dumped on AA a lot and deservedly so, but some of their "secret" special meals are amazingly good. My diabetic dinner on recent DFW-LAX and PHL-LAX flights.

jazzhou likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 6, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SFO777
It's been 4 or 5 months since my last UA dinner fight but is this really the new Kirby norm? Choice of Four Cheese Ravioli or Cheeseburger? I made the mistake of going with the cheeseburger. I didn't even finish half of it.
Two hot entrees on a midcon? Sounds like an upgrade from Kirbyville
SFO777 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Yesterday's flight from hell...

ORD-LAX
UA 1052
757-300 with crappy new uncomfortable "First" slider seats
December 5, 2018
7:39pm-10:14pm sked
8:48pm-11:38p actual

Where do I start? Note to United. Zone 1&2 boarding does not work well at B7. Fortunately, there was enough room between the front of the mob and the wall for 1Ks to slide past. First a one hour mechanical delay with zero explanation from flight deck, only an FA providing infrequent information. Then a pax decided he didn't really want to go to LAX after all, so let's hook up the jet bridge for the third time. In flight, a pax locked him/herself in the 2L lav and the crew had to remove the door to get him/her out. Needless to say the lav went in-op for the remainder of the flight, with the inevitable parade of Y pax to the F lav. Our late LAX arrival was delayed even further as curfew sent us out over the Pacific to loop back and land from the west. Overly cautious captain asked FA's to prepare for landing and take jump seats early due to "turbulence", when there was zero to negligible turbulence all the way down. Then we had to remain seated when we arrived to wait for EMT/LAFD to board and tend with a medical emergency. Not sure how much of an emergency it really was as the pax in question calmly walked off with medics a couple of minutes after they boarded. Nice way to beat the rest of the pax off the plane though. LOL.

And then there was "dinner" served at 11pm Central, even later in 6F. It's been 4 or 5 months since my last UA dinner fight but is this really the new Kirby norm? Choice of Four Cheese Ravioli or Cheeseburger? I made the mistake of going with the cheeseburger. I didn't even finish half of it.

img

Yeah, because I only like a tomato on 1/3 of my burger.

img

img

Dinner on the competition? I've dumped on AA a lot and deservedly so, but some of their "secret" special meals are amazingly good. My diabetic dinner on recent DFW-LAX and PHL-LAX flights.

img

img
That has been the ORD/LAX menu since April? May?. The ravioli is the better of the two, although I'll confess I don't mind the burger. Good idea putting some of the pathetic spinach bowl into it.

Flight sounds like it was lots of fun. I've only once seen the lav door come off, and that was an accident. Much bumbling ensued before it was declared inop.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
IAH-ORD 2pm departure: Buffalo mac n cheese or salad w chicken.
Has the Buffalo Mac and Cheese changed? I recall that is used to have some spiciness and a sort of blue-cheezy flavor. Of late on ORD/ERW/ORD is has consistently been pretty generic mac with a neon orange cheeze sauce with a couple pieces of sliced chicken on one side. Not spicy or "Buffalo" in any sense of the term. I'd call it "Mac & Cheese with Chicken." I sort of recall that there used to be a sort of bready crunchy topping. That, if it existed, is also now gone.

Since I'm talking about this route. On three of my last four itins the dessert was a slice of some variety of cheesecake. On the fourth it was a pre-wrapped commercial brownie that was pretty bad. On that same flight my salad consisted of 4-5 baby spinach leaves and one mandarin orange slice rather than the full dish I usually get.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CMK10
UA 683 RDU-SFO 1835-2144 A-319

Full PDB

I've never had nuts (or anything else) served with the PDB. They always come when they take the first post-departure drink orders.

On another note - I just had two variations on "Scotch on the Rock". On the first flight, I watched the person put two mini's into a regular mixed drink glass. On the second flight, what was clearly a single shot was served to me in a wine glass. He then willing refilled it so I got the desired effect in both cases, however.
wpcoe, onthesam and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by milepig
Has the Buffalo Mac and Cheese changed? I recall that is used to have some spiciness and a sort of blue-cheezy flavor. Of late on ORD/ERW/ORD is has consistently been pretty generic mac with a neon orange cheeze sauce with a couple pieces of sliced chicken on one side. Not spicy or "Buffalo" in any sense of the term. I'd call it "Mac & Cheese with Chicken." I sort of recall that there used to be a sort of bready crunchy topping. That, if it existed, is also now gone.

Since I'm talking about this route. On three of my last four itins the dessert was a slice of some variety of cheesecake. On the fourth it was a pre-wrapped commercial brownie that was pretty bad. On that same flight my salad consisted of 4-5 baby spinach leaves and one mandarin orange slice rather than the full dish I usually get.
Definitely bland now
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
All the knock-off mac and cheese dishes are so low quality, it almost makes one forget that UA still flies with the lobster mac.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
12/04/18: UA360 LAX-IAD

Breakfast:

Le pâte ŕ l'œuf (egg kale pastry):

Intercontinental cookie!

David
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
12/06/18: UA1448 IAD-LAX

Snack:

Sitting in 2F, was told that the only thing left was the pepperoni calzone. Now there were quite a few GS in J but even in row 2, no choice as a 1K?

Pre-arrival snack: cinnamon "scone" which really is a muffin top:

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.