Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver
UA 296 BDL - IAD
22 Nov 2018
A319
"Refreshments"

Not sure if we got a Thanksgiving day fluke, or if it was just miscatered, but there was a full breakfast served on BDL-IAD today, featuring granola (with banana, pecans, cranberries, apricots, and milk on the side), peach and passionfruit yogurt, and a lightly warmed croissant. Fast and attentive service, with a round of drink refills after collecting trays.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by wavid
UA 296 BDL - IAD
22 Nov 2018
A319
"Refreshments"

Not sure if we got a Thanksgiving day fluke, or if it was just miscatered, but there was a full breakfast served on BDL-IAD today, featuring granola (with banana, pecans, cranberries, apricots, and milk on the side), peach and passionfruit yogurt, and a lightly warmed croissant. Fast and attentive service, with a round of drink refills after collecting trays.
Woah. I definitely think this was a miscater. Flew IAD-BDL this week at lunch time and just got the snack basket (AKA "Refreshments").
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:01 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Ua 1810 ewr -> iah

Glass of Cab not pictured. BBq beef was awesome sweet potatoes sucked and greens we're good.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist

Salad with chicken. Chicken was very good as well as the little slice of cheesecake
UA 230
ORD-EWR
11/24
77W

Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
MSY-IAD

Flew MSY-IAD at 18.05 Friday 11/23. PDF offered and served in the blue plastic cups, the new Old Fashioned is tasty (albeit a scoch too sweet for my taste).

Dinner was three options: grilled chicken salad, cobb salad, or buffalo chicken mac and cheese. While the mac and cheese was plated and arrived as a full course meal, the cobb salad was just a takeout container from an airport vendor, plastic cutlery and all. I was offered warm bread to go with it, but it was pretty poor presentation, IMHO.

That being said, the salad was full of mixed greens and not just iceberg lettuce so it could have been a lot worse. The buffalo mac and cheese was creamy and had a little kick to it.

FAs were delayed serving due to some chop, but did a great job serving the full cabin and offering refills, despite the time crunch.

Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:06 pm

UA 1411
BWI-IAH
B739
11/20

Chicken Pesto or Asian Noodle Salad with Ginger Beef

UA 1037
IAH-MIA
Original plane went mech. A freshly delivered B739MAX was substituted.
11/21

Beef Wrap or Antipasto Plate

UA 1605
ORD-NAS
A320
11/24

Lobster Mac & Cheese, Lentil Chili or Cheese Blintz

Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
11/26 UA 2028 SFO-DEN 737-800
2.5 hour flight was labeled "Snack" -- something I dreaded after 2.5 hr COS-IAH flight a couple weeks ago where I was given my choice of the snack basket (biscotti, chips, gummi bears, etc.). To be fair, that flight was on an ERJ-175 so their options were limited but I still think it's nuts for a 7:30 flight lasting 2.5 hours to offer you gummi bears or corn chips.

Choice between a sandwich and something else I couldn't quite make out but which just didn't tickle my fancy so I opted for the sandwich. It turned out to be a nice breakfast sandwich with a slice of Canadian bacon or ham and an egg on a flakey roll with fresh fruit (orange, grapes, pineapple) and a good sized portion of strawberry Chobani yogurt. Really hit the spot after sleeping through whatever snack was offered on the 11 PM HNL-SFO red-eye.

Last edited by ExplorerWannabe; Dec 1, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
UA314 LAX-DEN
Nov. 23, 2018
1:35 p.m. - 4:48 p.m.
777-200 - Seat 2D

A quiet day-after-Thanksgiving meant a cleared upgrade for this *Gold (on an award ticket no less). My old friend "Southwest Chicken Salad" showed up and was exactly the same as I remember. The other choice was a "cheese plate." Red wine was drinkable but nothing more; the Ghirardelli caramel square seemed a bit low-grade but satisfied my sweet tooth.

Great crew with PDBs (old fashioned is sweet but strong and tasty) offered and speedy service. We caught a tail wind and arrived in Denver 20 minutes early.
tstauck likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The incongruity between getting Snacked in the afternoon versus morning seems a little wild. Breakfast Snacks are just Breakfast minus the bread, as far as I can tell, whereas Lunch Snacks are barely edible.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
BNA-ORD
A319
4:58pm Deprture

Full PDB, warm nuts and drinks after takeoff; dinner options were ravioli (i think it was the butternut squash) or chicken and mashed potatoes. FA comments that with nearly everyone GS or 1k, she would need both a 1st and 2nd choice. Ravioli came with a pretzel roll and side salad. Warm chocolate chip cookies offered after the dinner tray was cleared.

Great service from a legacy UA FA.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lilpisher
BNA-ORD
A319
4:58pm Deprture

Full PDB, warm nuts and drinks after takeoff; dinner options were ravioli (i think it was the butternut squash) or chicken and mashed potatoes. FA comments that with nearly everyone GS or 1k, she would need both a 1st and 2nd choice. Ravioli came with a pretzel roll and side salad. Warm chocolate chip cookies offered after the dinner tray was cleared.

Great service from a legacy UA FA.
Sounds like a nice miscater regardless of the choice you received!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Sounds like a nice miscater regardless of the choice you received!
Definitely not a mis-cater, but I’ll agree that they have it loaded incorrectly in the system. That said, it shows up as a dinner flight when booking, in the status, and has had a meal on multiple days for at least a couple months at this point.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got the Pesto Chicken yesterday. 4PM west bond departure out of ORD. Flight listed as "lunch". The food looked messy but tasty. The portion was also larger than expected ^ For once, I did not leave the flight hungry.

I have been only doing short haul domestic flights (plus some ps flights where I never get upgraded even with RPU). Did they actually increase the portion size somewhat this year?

Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by username
I have been only doing short haul domestic flights (plus some ps flights where I never get upgraded even with RPU). Did they actually increase the portion size somewhat this year?
No, there's just a fair amount of variance.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
Got the Pesto Chicken yesterday. 4PM west bond departure out of ORD. Flight listed as "lunch". The food looked messy but tasty. The portion was also larger than expected ^ For once, I did not leave the flight hungry.

Thanks.
Assuming that chicken is atop the cream-sauce quinoa (don't know what else to call it; 'risotto' as it was described to me seems certainly incorrect), I think your are just perceiving the higher caloric load as larger portion size. I.e. no, the portion sizes are not larger, but some dishes count more than others.

For proof the portion sizes have gone the other way, try ordering the noodle beef thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.