Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver - 1MM, UA Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Ha.. David.. nope, no nuts!!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Mmmm, "cheese food".
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by S.R

I only have experience with emb170/190 on DL and UA, and AFAIK neither have ovens.
DL does have warmer's on a few EMB175's. Not quite a oven, but good enough to keep a meal hot for a few minutes.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Maybe the honey was for the cheese? That is the only thing I can think of given the items on the tray.

Last edited by 1kBill; Jul 26, 2018 at 11:54 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
LAX-IAD
UA 653
737-800
12:58pm-8:55pm
July 25, 2018

Choice of pesto chicken or mushroom ravioli.

Salad with pomegranate and vinaigrette dressing was OK, although I probably shouldn't have drowned it in dressing.

On the other hand, the chicken pesto with orzo was delicious and filling.

Dessert was a tasty mango sorbet.

And about an hour out, yummy warm chocolate chip cookies.

All in all, way better than AA and about as good as one gets on a non-p.s. domestic flight on an airline not named JetBlue.
MatthewLAX, truncated and tstauck like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Maybe the honey was for the cheese? That is the only thing I can think of give the items on the tray.
Mmm, honey + "cheese product"
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:07 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by SS255
Bring back the CO hockey puck.
Is this the mystery meat burger? I would love that to be brought back...

Maybe I can go downstairs and suggest that to catering ops
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
All in all, way better than AA and about as good as one gets on a non-p.s. domestic flight on an airline not named JetBlue.
Agreed on AA. Even when comparing domestic vs. international meals across airlines. I have had several chances to compare AA international J (mostly Asia-LAX) and UA p.s. back to back, and UA won, hands down.

And despite the cut backs, UA transcon meals are still not bad (knock on wood).
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by radiowell
And despite the cut backs, UA transcon meals are still not bad (knock on wood).
Hard not to remember when every flight had two meat options and a vegetarian option though.. I remember when the chicken orzo was new and in the bottom half of midcon meals by quality.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Hard not to remember when every flight had two meat options and a vegetarian option though.. I remember when the chicken orzo was new and in the bottom half of midcon meals by quality.
Yeah, I would love to have the 3-course, 3-choice meals back on the non-p.s. transcon (and add the snack basket; I adjusted slightly by eating a little more before boarding ), but I am thankful that we are not getting a half wrap or a cheese plate or their equivalents. I really feel for those getting "snacked." I have not been affected as much (as my UA flights are either short-hauls or transcons/internationals).
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by radiowell
Yeah, I would love to have the 3-course, 3-choice meals back on the non-p.s. transcon (and add the snack basket; I adjusted slightly by eating a little more before boarding ), but I am thankful that we are not getting a half wrap or a cheese plate or their equivalents. I really feel for those getting "snacked." I have not been affected as much (as my UA flights are either short-hauls or transcons/internationals).
Yeah, they have it pretty well balanced. If they Snacked all TCONs, I would obviously switch my domestic flying to AS or wholesale jump ship to DL, but for this I can put up with it.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAD-HNL
UA 345
767-300
8:35am-12:55pm
July 26, 2018

Since UA.com indicates only Breakfast on this 10 hour flight, I decided to come prepared in case the snack was really 8+ hours in. LOL.

Alas, I never needed any of it. Old plane but excellent service from our purser Mark. Although his description of the choices of quiche, brioche or cereal left a little to be desired. When I heard Quiche, I had visions of my EWR-NAS flight from a few years ago.

Not such luck today. My quiche was actually a frittata. It was tasty but not even close to a quiche. And two sausages is way too extravagant for Kirby et al.

And four hours later, at lunch time Eastern time, choice of cheeseburger or chicken salad.

Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HNL-LAX
UA 1636
737 MAX 9
3:15pm-11:45pm
July 27, 2018

Completing yesterday's marathon YYZ-IAD-HNL-LAX day, my first flight on the 737 MAX. New plane but the same senior grandmother crew with forgettable "service". A far cry from the purser on our inbound.
Same choices as yesterday's LAX-IAD, the chicken pesto or mushroom ravioli. Since I had the chicken yesterday, I chose the ravioli which was quite good and definitely a cut above Chef Boyardee.

Continuing with the sorbet for dessert trend, not exactly sure what flavor but it tasted pineapple and mango like.

Last edited by SFO777; Jul 27, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
LAX-IAD
UA 653
737-800
12:58pm-8:55pm
July 25, 2018

Choice of pesto chicken or mushroom ravioli.

Salad with pomegranate and vinaigrette dressing was OK, although I probably shouldn't have drowned it in dressing.

On the other hand, the chicken pesto with orzo was delicious and filling.

Dessert was a tasty mango sorbet.

And about an hour out, yummy warm chocolate chip cookies.

I would have to disagree. My recent meals on AA flights between ORD and DFW have blown away my recent UA flights to DEN.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheFlyGuy1992
I would have to disagree. My recent meals on AA flights between ORD and DFW have blown away my recent UA flights to DEN.

Blown away?? LOL. Let's face it. In the race to the bottom, neither are going to win any culinary prizes.
The only thing that AA has going for it are the Flagship Lounges, Flagship Dining at JFK (not LAX) and the LAX QF Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.