Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: NZ *E
I keep checking this thread to see if it's safe to book United again instead of potentially taking a connection on another carrier from SFO.... It seems not since nothing has improved
(The meal trickery feels like such a rip off so prefer to give my business to someone else if possible until they fix it)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
Originally Posted by samjnz
I keep checking this thread to see if it's safe to book United again instead of potentially taking a connection on another carrier from SFO.... It seems not since nothing has improved
(The meal trickery feels like such a rip off so prefer to give my business to someone else if possible until they fix it)
Same. I’ve been booking with other carriers until I see this service level travesty is corrected. The “meals” I see featured in this thread are a joke. It’s like United is sending a message to everyone that they are not valued.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 2046: SFO to DCA
June 3, 2018
Boeing 757-300, Lunch

Honestly, I think more than anything else this meal taught me that it's not just the selection that has been cut with the catering, but really just the raw quality. Fortunately, it was by counterexample - I actually thoroughly enjoyed my lunch today, although it felt like the salad portion size had skipped down a notch.

The salad was amazingly not the "heap of spinach" disaster which seems to be taking over dining. In a hearkening back to the past, it was a nicely arrayed salad of mixed greens, strawberries, mandarins, and feta cheese. The only downside was that the dressing pairing seems to have become either random or "all balsamic all the time" - while okay, I don't think it was the greatest choice for the salad.

The main was a choice between the "beef with vegetables" and a "cheese ravioli". I usually avoid the vegetarian option, but I had been forewarned that blindly ordering the beef would yield the "beef bourguignon" which I've had several poor experiences with (it being basically like having a cheap beef stew emptied onto my plate and then cooked some more so the stew is gone). In light of this, I chose the ravioli and despite the vegetable-heavy presentation I was very pleasantly surprised. It could be the novelty talking, but I found it a very interesting combination of flavors (strongly lemon-y olive oil, red and yellow beets, onion, four cheese ravioli, and a few other things my FL350 tastebuds weren't up to identifying). My lasting impression of it was "wow, I haven't really enjoyed a meal on a domestic flight since 2016". So two thumbs up to the ravioli

Dessert was a lemon sorbet, up to the same tasty standard as always. Warm and delicious cookie was served on arrival. The DCA nonstop, 1A on the 753, a good meal and pleasant crew.. flights like this remind me why I do choose to fly UA.

Sadly, rumor has it that I've Snacked myself out of lobster mac on my way home this week. But good news for anyone doing a westbound TCON this month!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
If the snack was maybe warm nuts and a piece of cake, it may be better than the non-dressed lettuce leaf and dry chicken.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
SNA-EWR
Breakfast
737-700
2 June

The choices were French Toast or Huevos Rancheros. I opted for the eggs. This is identical to the eggs they offered ex-DEN to the west coast during the kitchen issue. A biscuit or cinnamon roll was offered.

So this coast to coast breakfast is what I used to get DEN-SFO before the cuts. Sad.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
LAX to DEN
757-300
Dinner: Chicken Salad or Burger
5/23/2018

Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:03 pm

DEN to LAX
737-900
Snack: Southwest Chicken Salad or Cheese Plate
6/2/2018

Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by seat38a
LAX to DEN
757-300
Dinner: Chicken Salad or Burger
5/23/2018

Seeing as the chicken pictured is plated on lettuce - we have yet another salad served with a side of salad. Roasted pepper is a new twist - bravo!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
Seeing as the chicken pictured is plated on lettuce - we have yet another salad served with a side of salad. Roasted pepper is a new twist - bravo!
Its a tiny piece which I did not eat. Not sure why they thought the "garnish" was needed. All in all it was good and I was full.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
UA 790
ORD->BOS
Dinner
B739

happy to report choice of shrimp paella or chicken Cobb salad for this short flight. Clocks in at 2 hrs 21 minutes blocked time and one hour 48 minutes take off to touch down.

Mini TR: FA is kind of funny. During PDBs a customer ordered the white wine, FA replied, you’ll probably only want one glass. Another guy asked if she could take his jacket, she replied, “ only if you’re not wearing it, they kind of don’t like us taking clothes off a customers.” I love sarcasm though. Some might not.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:08 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Transcon Breakfast Hindu and Vegan Special Meals

UA1760 PDX-EWR (A320)

I have no idea what the dishes in the Hindu meal are named but it was a three-bean (kidney, lima, and garbanzo) curry, a baked pie filled with potatoes and peas, and a sweet mush.

The Vegan meal was a bowl of oatmeal, fruit cup, and orange juice.

I heard the standard offerings described as "Apple crepes" and "Southwestern Egg Scramble.:
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
UA 2046: SFO to DCA
June 3, 2018
Boeing 757-300, Lunch

Honestly, I think more than anything else this meal taught me that it's not just the selection that has been cut with the catering, but really just the raw quality. Fortunately, it was by counterexample - I actually thoroughly enjoyed my lunch today, although it felt like the salad portion size had skipped down a notch.

img

The salad was amazingly not the "heap of spinach" disaster which seems to be taking over dining. In a hearkening back to the past, it was a nicely arrayed salad of mixed greens, strawberries, mandarins, and feta cheese. The only downside was that the dressing pairing seems to have become either random or "all balsamic all the time" - while okay, I don't think it was the greatest choice for the salad.

The main was a choice between the "beef with vegetables" and a "cheese ravioli". I usually avoid the vegetarian option, but I had been forewarned that blindly ordering the beef would yield the "beef bourguignon" which I've had several poor experiences with (it being basically like having a cheap beef stew emptied onto my plate and then cooked some more so the stew is gone). In light of this, I chose the ravioli and despite the vegetable-heavy presentation I was very pleasantly surprised. It could be the novelty talking, but I found it a very interesting combination of flavors (strongly lemon-y olive oil, red and yellow beets, onion, four cheese ravioli, and a few other things my FL350 tastebuds weren't up to identifying). My lasting impression of it was "wow, I haven't really enjoyed a meal on a domestic flight since 2016". So two thumbs up to the ravioli

img

Dessert was a lemon sorbet, up to the same tasty standard as always. Warm and delicious cookie was served on arrival. The DCA nonstop, 1A on the 753, a good meal and pleasant crew.. flights like this remind me why I do choose to fly UA.

Sadly, rumor has it that I've Snacked myself out of lobster mac on my way home this week. But good news for anyone doing a westbound TCON this month!
I had the ravioli on a midcon and wasalso pleasantly surprised. The beets were all golden ones, and it had good flavour from the green onions.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
UA 790
ORD->BOS
Dinner
B739

happy to report choice of shrimp paella or chicken Cobb salad for this short flight. Clocks in at 2 hrs 21 minutes blocked time and one hour 48 minutes take off to touch down.

Mini TR: FA is kind of funny. During PDBs a customer ordered the white wine, FA replied, you’ll probably only want one glass. Another guy asked if she could take his jacket, she replied, “ only if you’re not wearing it, they kind of don’t like us taking clothes off a customers.” I love sarcasm though. Some might not.
Sorry, forgot the photo:

It's been awhile since I had this dish, but I think it's pretty decent. I felt full after eating. Neighbor had the cobb salad which also looked substantial enough. The shrimp were actually tasty, and not rubbery, the rice had a decent spice, and the little chopped up breakfast sausages were alright. Second, service from FAs was very good, they hit all of the service marks: PDB, warm towel, warmed nuts with drink service, proactive offers for refills. As I might have mentioned elsewhere, this iteration of the meal policy brings UA in line with AA for the timing of this flight. All in all, nice performance by UA on this flight ^
onthesam and 757FO like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:45 am

UA 439
BOS->ORD
Dinner
B738

Choice of Asian beef noodle salad (which was gone by the time the FA got to me in row 4) or the jambalaya. I guess I'm not picky because I like both dishes. Of note, the FA proactively offered to get snack boxes as a substitute for the meal and asked "do you want just the box or would you prefer it to be plated" to the pax in row 3. Haven't seen that one before. I went with the jambalaya because I didn't want to eat when I landed. Have to say, still pretty good. A little more spicy than the paella. Very good crew onboard, hit all the service elements: warm towel, warm nuts with drink service, offered blankets to pax, refills during and after meal time. Recent experiences with UA have me thinking UA might be my new carrier of choice between ORD and BOS: better schedule, better lounge, better service, etc. Washed the meal down with the Citradelic IPA. I'm really not a fan of New Belgium, or IPAs, but this is a great beer. The tangerine mellows the hops of the IPA. Old school B738 (Direct TVs still in the seatbacks) are definitely a bit gnarly, but the FAs made up for it. Kudos offered via Twitter.

Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Whole-wheat rod roll is my second-favorite UA bread, after the pretzel roll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.