Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
That is a generous serving of goat cheese and not a lot of bread.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:36 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
That is a generous serving of goat cheese and not a lot of bread.
Same issue always I've noticed with post-dinner cheeses -- they give you multiple big pieces of cheese and 2 water crackers. Why??
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by TA
Same issue always I've noticed with post-dinner cheeses -- they give you multiple big pieces of cheese and 2 water crackers. Why??
It's been like that since... forever. Not that I have an answer.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:26 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
It's been like that since... forever. Not that I have an answer.
Yeah, I've often wondered why. When I ask for additional crackers, I often get a "deer in headlights" look, or the f/a has to finish the entire service (which is understandable), then root around for additional crackers, and by that time, I've finished.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:40 am

2013:

Jeff McMuffin:

2018:

Ham, Egg and Kirby:

Seriously, where have the days (2015-2016) of the French Toast Souffle, Red Pepper Quiche, Southwestern Omelette, Apple Blintz, Blueberry Waffles with Ham etc. gone?
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Seriously, where have the days (2015-2016) of the French Toast Souffle, Red Pepper Quiche, Southwestern Omelette, Apple Blintz, Blueberry Waffles with Ham etc. gone?
You can see them in the rearview mirror.

I'll give the nod to Kirby's sandwich over Smisek's though, which surprises even me.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
It would seem the additional costs were not correlative to a revenue premium, and so in pursuit of improving margins, the domestic F catering budget was cut back.

Kirby doesn't believe a higher-quality product (than the mean) drives a revenue premium, and there's some validity that theory, unfortunately.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Received a pre-flight email (first time ever) for my trip on Friday with the subject "Menu options for your upcoming flight" that included the meal choices, along with a mention that I would receive a specific survey about the food following the flight.

At first I got excited thinking the email was a beta for pre-order but I was dissapointed

Adding to further disappointment, the choices are buffalo mac & cheese or the Napa Valley salad... the same choices I've had for dinner on EWR/ORD-TPA for what seems like the past month, they are also serving on a 4.5 hour lunch flight ex-ORD. Where has any attempt creativity gone?

On another note - are these longer flights still getting ice/cream sorbet at lunch or are they permanently downgraded to the pre-plated cheesecake?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
It would seem the additional costs were not correlative to a revenue premium, and so in pursuit of improving margins, the domestic F catering budget was cut back.

Kirby doesn't believe a higher-quality product (than the mean) drives a revenue premium, and there's some validity that theory, unfortunately.
What Kirby doesn't understand is a higher quality product can drive incremental revenue - this is something Larry K at Continental understood - any enhancement was on the table where they could spend $1 and get back $1.10 - and anything that saved 0.10 and cost them 0.25 in lost revenue was off the table, and not only that, they involved customers in their analysis of what could work and what would not. Things were slashed, we complained, they finally engaged, we discussed, and things started changing for the better until the useless Board threw him out in favor of Smisek.

Kirby is like Smisek - slash everything down to the mean, or just below it, review how the public reacts, and then keep slashing until someone can quantify a loss of bookings, revenue or contracts - only an idiot does business this way. Looking at how things are going back at AA with this old boss in charge, and how the employees are now being treated over there, it looks like Oscar hired just one of those idiots.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
What Kirby doesn't understand is a higher quality product can drive incremental revenue - this is something Larry K at Continental understood - any enhancement was on the table where they could spend $1 and get back $1.10 - and anything that saved 0.10 and cost them 0.25 in lost revenue was off the table, and not only that, they involved customers in their analysis of what could work and what would not. Things were slashed, we complained, they finally engaged, we discussed, and things started changing for the better until the useless Board threw him out in favor of Smisek.

Kirby is like Smisek - slash everything down to the mean, or just below it, review how the public reacts, and then keep slashing until someone can quantify a loss of bookings, revenue or contracts - only an idiot does business this way. Looking at how things are going back at AA with this old boss in charge, and how the employees are now being treated over there, it looks like Oscar hired just one of those idiots.
I’d make the argument that Smisek did improve catering when he was here. He introduced Cold Meals on regional jets and offered three hot substantial choices on flights over three and a half hours. Kirby now offers one hot and one cold on the same flights.

United Clubs also offered improved catering under his direction. Not saying Smisek was fantastic, he wasn’t, but I’d take his average BizFirst product which delivered what you expected, that this Polaris garbage, which has fallen short in each and every category.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Yesterday's EWR-DFW scheduled for 8:06pm and blocked for 4h 7m was only the snack basket? Shouldn't it be an actual snack?

I wasn't hungry after eating at Classified but its the principle..
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Wow. And my BOS-IAH flight last week served a full breakfast in F.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Yesterday's EWR-DFW scheduled for 8:06pm and blocked for 4h 7m was only the snack basket? Shouldn't it be an actual snack?

I wasn't hungry after eating at Classified but its the principle..
A flight blocked for 4h 7m would definitely fall into the 3h to 3h59m category. Remember that these are average in-flight times, not block time. In-flight time for that flight is about 3h20m. So unfortunately according to the new rules the snack basket “refreshments” start at 8:01pm. Fun times
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
UA 5492 COS-LAX 2:39 flight time listed as Snack
Fell asleep on take-off. When I woke up, the FA asked if I wanted anything to eat but apologized saying they had only loaded her with 3 wraps so I could supplement my fruit bowl with a snack box or other item (I forget what the other item was). I had a snack prior to boarding so told her the fruit was good enough, also got a Ghiradelli square with it.

UA 1170 LAX-HNL 6:10 flight time listed as Dinner
Was offered choice of lobster mac & cheese or lentil chili. I went for the lobster mac & cheese. Didn't look that appetizing but tasted okay (not much lobster but the taste was there). Accompanied by salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing, some broccolini, and a roll. Followed afterward by decent mango sorbet in glass bowl. Fresh hot choc chip/mac nut cookie just before arrival.

I will say the service from the FAs on both flights was superb. Very attentive and made great efforts at customer service. The FAs on 1170 kept addressing me by name and the chief FA made a point of going down the F cabin to shake hands and thank everyone for flying United.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:14 am

No Breakfast on Early Morning Flights???

Been off these routes for a couple months and didn’t realize only a SNACK is offered on my regular flights where I received breakfast all of last year. Is this a new change? What flights do or do not get breakfast? Other meals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.