Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I actually think the short-rib is one of the few cuts that stands up well to airline cook/chill/re-heat abuse. Never had a steak on a plane that can.
For some reason, USAirways always managed to cook their steaks perfectly on TATL flights. I had no such luck on BA or UA. So, I take short-ribs on UA if they are offered. If it's steak, I look down the menu to see what kind of fish is offered.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The "flat iron steak" that I've had on United has a texture that suspiciously appears to be short rib. It was good, but it sure as heck wasn't steak.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Got the famous fruit cup from DEN-EWR yesterday. And drum roll please.....beef provencal w/ macaroni (which was, in all seriousness, good tasting -- just too small) or lentil paella.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:36 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I was getting ready to purchase F on the 7:00am BOS-ORD. It shows as a “snack” when it has always been “breakfast” in the past. I hope this is just a website display problem and not a downgrade.

Anyone have any idea?!?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Ericka
I was getting ready to purchase F on the 7:00am BOS-ORD. It shows as a “snack” when it has always been “breakfast” in the past. I hope this is just a website display problem and not a downgrade.

Anyone have any idea?!?
likely a downgrade. You'll get a choice between a hot option/cereal along with fruit and yogurt. No breakfast breads.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yep, looks like a downgrade. Lets see how long this lasts before it's un-downgraded. Remember, they only serve meals on this route because AA does too
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by demkr

likely a downgrade. You'll get a choice between a hot option/cereal along with fruit and yogurt. No breakfast breads.
So pretty much the same without the croissant/cinnamon roll?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I actually think the short-rib is one of the few cuts that stands up well to airline cook/chill/re-heat abuse. Never had a steak on a plane that can.
I agree its usually cooked well, though one time I got a super dry one. I think sometimes they stick the food in the oven before take off, then take it out once in the air and serve it but sometimes the captain makes them stay seated for an hour so the food gets extremely overcooked.

I'm just getting pretty tired of it. I havent had a real steak as an option for a while. I'd say 30% of the time, I get it medium rare like I want. 50% of the time it is like a rock.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Anyone have any idea?!?
The GDS code (what you see for the flight) is pretty much always correct.. believe you got Snacked.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
January dinner menu PS westbound.

food was not too exciting. I skipped the main course.Was told cheese was brie & cheddar. Never saw any "sweet treats". This was served on 9:00 p.m. departure - kudos to that!

img
img
img

skimpy shrimp was rockhard with little taste
img

not too crazy about sweetish/fruits in dinner salad.
img
That menu makes me wonder what kind of deal UA got on kale. It's like kale is the new soybeans.

Originally Posted by findark

Anyone have any idea?!?
The GDS code (what you see for the flight) is pretty much always correct.. believe you got Snacked.
FWIW I got a semi-proper breakfast (offer of 'egg white pastry kind of thing' or 'cereal') on a Snacked flight this month.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by findark
Nice way to introduce our 6 year old to the world of frequent flying. He’ll remember it was UA that took away his cinnamon roll!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
FWIW I got a semi-proper breakfast (offer of 'egg white pastry kind of thing' or 'cereal') on a Snacked flight this month.
Had the same TPA-ORD. Coded as snack, but got the same choices. Posted on page one of the thread this year, I got the pastry. It was very good and was definitely a full meal to me.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sky303
Had the same TPA-ORD. Coded as snack, but got the same choices. Posted on page one of the thread this year, I got the pastry. It was very good and was definitely a full meal to me.
It's still a downgrade from the previous "breakfast". Remember when there was a quiche or the southwestern omelette with tri-color potatoes and chicken sausage? That, to me, was a true substantial breakfast with a good protein component. Not that any of the choices are healthy but that goes without saying.

Not that the egg pastry isn't "good" but it's been served in some variation (with sauce, without sauce, cholula on side, no cholula) for almost 6 months now. It needs to go. When you get the choice between that and raisin bran every week, it gets very old.

Anyone remember the seasonal menus that were part of the revamped domestic F catering a few years ago? Sigh...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by sky303
Great! Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club

SFO-DEN LUNCH (Snack)
787-8
Flight 555 1pm Departure.
Fruit and cheese or vegetarian wrap.
This is the “wrap”. I logged my complaint already with 1Kvoice. The cheese wasn’t any better. I would have done better in the back of the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.