Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Closed Thread

Old Dec 27, 18, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, SQ Kris Flyer, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Premier Plat
CLT-IAH 26 Dec 1130 am departure E175

Exact same Kirby wrap as the flight up from IAH on 23 Dec. Maybe slightly larger. No PDB offered on either flight.

Old Dec 27, 18, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, A3-Gold, AA-Gold, DL-Silver
EWR-SFO
UA800

Boeing 777-200
Meal: Lunch

Menu

Appetizer

Main - Beef

Dessert cart
Old Dec 27, 18, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, WN A-List Pref & CP, AS MVPG, Marriott/SPG AMB, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
IAD-PDX dinner
Choice of chicken with artichoke or pasta with mushrooms. Had the chicken, which was the worst meal Iíve had on a plane in a long time. The portions were also very small.
Old Dec 27, 18, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
EWR-SFO
UA800

Boeing 777-200

So how was the meal?

This is a ps flight?
Old Dec 27, 18, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer ; Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
EWR-SFO
UA800

Boeing 777-200

Menu

Appetizer

Main - Beef

Dessert cart
I feel sorry for anybody with this menu who does not eat kale!
Old Dec 27, 18, 7:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
Yep - specifically designed and selected for kaliens!

David
SS255 and findark like this.
Old Dec 27, 18, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, A3-Gold, AA-Gold, DL-Silver
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So how was the meal?

This is a ps flight?
Yup - ps/premium transcon flight. Main was fine, appetizer was a bit lacking--just 1 piece of shrimp and 2 slices of pineapple.

Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
That's what I thought too, which kale appealed to me the most...kale with orange marmalade, kale pesto or kale lasagna
Old Dec 28, 18, 2:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Is UA skimping on the shrimp now? Could've sworn that Sriracha shrimp appetizer had two shrimps lol.

Also my lord, the PS menus have got to be changed soon. The beef and chicken have been the same for ages and then there's the rotation of the ravioli, lasagna, and either the salmon or turbot.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 18, 8:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Plat, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
I'm flying TPA-IAH tomorrow in between 4-8pm, and the min. flight time for a full meal is >2:20, so what gives? Is the website wrong or is 2:25 close enough to being under 2:20 that United just says screw it, no meal for this route?

Old Dec 28, 18, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's actually based on flight distance (ish -- "canonical block time") not the individual block time of a specific flight. TPA-IAH is under 800mi.
Old Dec 28, 18, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
Exact same Kirby wrap as the flight up from IAH on 23 Dec. Maybe slightly larger. No PDB offered on either flight.

Is this supposed to be lunch or a snack?
Old Dec 28, 18, 5:02 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hilton Honors Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
Is this supposed to be lunch or a snack?
It's the "snack" served during traditional lunch hours.
Old Dec 28, 18, 7:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by LC757 View Post
Is UA skimping on the shrimp now? Could've sworn that Sriracha shrimp appetizer had two shrimps lol.

Also my lord, the PS menus have got to be changed soon. The beef and chicken have been the same for ages and then there's the rotation of the ravioli, lasagna, and either the salmon or turbot.
Oh my goodness, I know. I am so sick of the calzone and salad option offering on overnight flights. They used to at least throw in a burger every now and then.

Domestic First, too. Same meals over and over again.

But I digress since I am preaching to the choir.
Old Dec 29, 18, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
UA meals 12/20/2018
LAX - IAH - Lunch
Choices were Cobb salad with chicken or Thai chicken with a coconut ginger sauce with a side salad. Served with a pretzel roll and a chocolate cheese cake. “Cobb” salad had olives and no bacon. Served with ranch dressing. Chocolate cheese cake for dessert, which was very tasty.

White wine was District 7 Chardonnay (?
Red was a cab named Forstandt or something like that.

IAH - PHL - Dinner
Meal orders not taken by status.Was offered “chicken with rice” later described as chicken with pesto. When I asked about the other choice, was told a chicken salad with noodles.
Had the chicken with pesto, looks messy with the chicken swimming in a pool of pesto flavored stuff, tasted OK, but would have preferred the salad. Dessert was a cheesecake with a raspberry-ish topping.

Service on the LAX-IAH (772HD) was outstanding. Service on IAH-PHL was good.
Old Dec 30, 18, 3:08 pm
dll
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt
12/20 LAX-HNL UA1170, First
We were a party of 2 on this flight and had pre-ordered special meals; I tried VLML (lacto-ovo veggie meal), my travel companion the Hindu meal.

Hindu meal was...edible, although bizarre. It was a bean burrito (maybe intended to be a samosa?) served atop curry rice with a side of plain yogurt and a standard domestic F salad. No bread offered on this tray, although not sure why. Odd meal combination but as I said, at least edible.

My VLML was...oh I don't know where to begin. Standard domestic F meal setup (bread, salad and main all on one tray). But the main course...VLML could just as easily mean Vile Meal as Veggie-Lacto Meal. It was tofu, or maybe paneer cheese, with peas in...salty brown sauce, served with a pile of lukewarm rice mush. I have no idea what it was intended to be or what was in the meal. An Asian tofu dish? Indian curry? I cannot say, for the flavor was just pure salt. I honestly don't know if it was tofu or cheese. I had a bite and nearly spat it back out.

No snack basket or any form of other beverage offered after meal service concluded. Cookies served close to HNL.

12/28 KOA-LAX, UA1205
Left KOA on-time. Hit pretty significant chop about 30 minutes out which disrupted meal service just as nuts were served. Crew were asked to fasten back into jumpseats and that lasted about 30 minutes. When meal service resumed we were told they had a choice of cheese pasta or beef. Both of us chose cheese pasta which did, fortunately, resemble something like ravioli. I realize these KOA and LIH flights are return-catered in LAX, but I was surprised that no bread or salad was offered. Instead there was a small bread plate with a walnut (one), a dried apricot (one), and two wrapped wedges of cheese plus water crackers. And the other plate contained a wrapped Ghirardelli caramel chocolate. That plus the ravioli was the entire meal, but they did at least offer a snack basket after meal ended. Cookies offered after, but no drink refills beyond water.

I realize that UA's Hawaii service doesn't get a premium treatment since it doesn't get a lot of premium traffic, but I would definitely say that DL and AA are a step above service-wise. Both of these flights had the most apathetic crew I've experienced probably all year, across 40-some domestic flights.

Search this Thread