Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
IAH-ORD 2pm departure: Buffalo mac n cheese or salad w chicken.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by prometa
What is the time cutoff between lunch and dinner? I'm on a UX DCA-IAH flight (scheduled flight time 3:39) leaving at 3:59 PM and the ticket says "Lunch". Granted, the 4 oclock hour is an odd one for a full meal, but we're closer to traditional dinner time than lunch time at that point.
It is indeed 4:00p exactly. However, there is almost no difference between Lunch and Dinner (although on snacked routes it could mean Snack versus Dinner).
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
2018-10-16 UA1815 LAX-IAH

Breakfast - Kaley eggey baked thing:

(anybody actually eating those Chobani yogurts?)

2018-10-16 UA1192 IAH-IAD

Pre-Lunch - Coke + nuts:

Lunch - buffalo mac with (some) chicken:

2018-10-18 UA1448 IAD-LAX

"Snack" - COLD chicken sandwich (and no condiments):

David
MatthewLAX and onthesam like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DELee

I would if I ever got up in time for breakfast flights

They're at least consistent.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Yes, I like greek yogurt.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 2046: SFO to DCA
October 7, 2018
Boeing 757-300, Lunch

Back in my favorite domestic seat, checking in on tcon catering, still in its sadly reduced two-option state.

I chose the cheese ravioli, served with red and yellow beets and a generous helping of scallions with a lemon olive oil drizzle. Having had it before, I knew what to expect and I think this is a rare gem among meals introduced since the catering cuts began. Kirby's bulk deal on spinach wasn't even half bad this time around, spiced up with some mandarin orange and feta cheese. Topped off with a pretzel roll, this was a pretty satisfying lunch. The other choice was a "chicken casserole" which my seatmate ordered and looked about as bad as it sounded -- the chicken had been baked into oblivion along with much of the dish. It got sent back to the galley perhaps one-third eaten.

Dessert was ice cream, despite the Lunch designation. I suspect they may have cut the sorbets to unify supply lines, which is a mild disappointment since they added a nice bit of diversity to the frozen dessert lineup. The flavor was the good old "lazy FA special" of vanilla with undisclosed chocolate chips. The cart also had the usual whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

Once again, there was nothing served on arrival. Has anyone gotten a cookie on a TCON flight recently, or is the arrival service getting Kirby-ed?

But I'll trade a cookie every time for river visual
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by findark
Once again, there was nothing served on arrival. Has anyone gotten a cookie on a TCON flight recently, or is the arrival service getting Kirby-ed?

But I'll trade a cookie every time for river visual
Forgot to mention that we were offered the warm scone as our arrival snack in my IAD-LAX post above - and that's for the last flight (10 PM) out. Not a cookie but a bunch of carbs in its own right.

David
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by findark
Not in my vicarious experience: Every time I've been in the front row of E+ on a transcon with lunch service, the delicious smell of warm cookies wafts back to taunt me about an hour before landing.
findark likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

My wife loves the Chobani yogurt; I find it way too sweet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2018 at 5:30 pm Reason: please include only needed images when quoting
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, Expedia Rewards Gold, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Gold Status, Presidential Plus
Holy crap. A new menu item? If I had a dollar for every egg quiche pastry this year, I'd have $37 dollars.
Originally Posted by st530
I basically stopped posting on this thread because it's the same old tandoori chicken/beef noodle salad/Buffalo mac and cheese flight after flight after flight. But on Saturday night, pleasantly surprised to see something new on ORD-IAH (605 pm departure): Pad Thai chicken! Pretty tasty I must say. I only had a few bites (I was full from the PL restaurant ) but if I had had it a Mom and Pop Thai place, I would have been pleased. Kudos to UA for something new!

jasonp622 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Flying DFW-IAD in F this weekend on a E75. I am surprised that it listed as a "snack" flight with a duration of 2h53m departing at 7:40a
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Breakfast - Kaley eggey baked thing:
img

2018-10-16 UA1192 IAH-IAD

Pre-Lunch - Coke + nuts:
img

Lunch - buffalo mac with (some) chicken:
img

2018-10-18 UA1448 IAD-LAX

"Snack" - COLD chicken sandwich (and no condiments):
img

img

David
Originally Posted by oopl
Yes, I like greek yogurt.
Originally Posted by physioprof
My wife loves the Chobani yogurt; I find it way too sweet.
I save them for later. Onboard, there's more than enough sugar in the cinnamon roll! But at home, with a banana and some unsweetened cheerios, they are pretty good.

(Fun fact, you can leave it unrefrigerated in your bag for multiple days, and it tastes just about the same. Probiotics and added sugar are quite a combo.)
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
10/23, UA 407 ORD-DEN, 4:18pm departure, Dinner.

Went with the Thai chicken noodle, the other option was a cobb ckicken salad. I was actually surprised how substantial the meal was, especially for a flight just over 2 hours (booked at 2:45 for flight time).

Full PDB, drinks offered right after take off, hot towel, warm nuts, drinks topped off promptly throughout the flight. Excellent service overall!

Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like a very nice meal.
tstauck likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Coconut Thai chicken on ORD-IAH lunch flight today. Reminiscent taste-wise of the spicy chicken in intl J. Other choice was chicken Cobb salad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.