Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old May 5, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Had a ‘protein plate’ of chicken, quinoa, and hummus(?) served atop some sad-looking lettuce on EWR-FLL. I wish they had gotten rid of the lettuce, decreased the amount of hummus and increased the quantity of chicken above 3 measly slices. The chicken was actually really good - I wanted more of it!
Old May 5, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Meal cuts have been confirmed by United

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ights-4-hours/

"We offer customers a more simplified meal service on flights under 4 hours. It’s not considered a full meal service because it has a smaller serving portion of the starter, entree and dessert."

Will be taking my paid premium travel to Delta.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
UA 714
BOS->ORD (Dinner)
A-319

Excellent service onboard throughout the entire (moderate chop to light turbulence) flight. FA definitely played to the rather boozy crowd (lots of Jack Daniels, IPAs, and Baileys offered) for PDB service. Then, hot towel provided and choice of meals between "beef salad" and jambalaya with FEBO respected. Went with the salad, which I really enjoyed; perfect for a light meal on a late departure (19:55). Vegetables were crisp and the cheesecake was nice. FA was outstanding with refills. Made the mistake of checking the app before the door closed and noticed that I was the only "revenue" F passenger with the rest being CPUs... but glad I didn't risk the upgrade, service was fantastic.

Old May 5, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by physioprof
To be clear, you're talking about dinner, not lunch, correct?
I believe SFO-ORD should qualify for the 4h00+ block and still receive midcon catering. So that would mean the same service for both Lunch and Dinner.

It sounds like ORD-LAS got Snacked though; this is completely outrageous.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I believe SFO-ORD should qualify for the 4h00+ block and still receive midcon catering. So that would mean the same service for both Lunch and Dinner.

It sounds like ORD-LAS got Snacked though; this is completely outrageous.
Yes, SFO/ORD is still above the 4h average block and should get real meals.

The service reported for ORD/LAS is absurd.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's even more insulting that it still codes as Lunch. A cheese plate with a piece of chocolate might be acceptable for SFO-LAX, but it is not a meal!
Old May 5, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Esp. when they are preserving proper (if now meagre) meals on flights like EWR/ORD. I am pretty sure someone has decided to incorporate average fare paid into the catering determination.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Makes sense now...I thought my lunch today was a bit on the small side. The other option was a cheese plate, which struck me as odd...
Old May 5, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Had a ‘protein plate’ of chicken, quinoa, and hummus(?) served atop some sad-looking lettuce on EWR-FLL. I wish they had gotten rid of the lettuce, decreased the amount of hummus and increased the quantity of chicken above 3 measly slices. The chicken was actually really good - I wanted more of it!
Yeah, I had that dish this week on EWR-IAH, and thought it was delicious, albeit way too little food.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by nddomer04
The flight he was on (UA 519 on 5/2) is scheduled for 4 hours 1 minute. UA's inflight dining page shows flights between 4 hours and 5 hrs 19 mins to receive "A meal service with two entree choices" between 5am and 8pm. The 2 hrs. 20 mins. to 3 hrs 59 mins. calls for a "chilled plate with chocolate on afternoon flights." However, all other ORD-LAS nonstop flights are scheduled for between 3:52 and 3:56, so I'm wondering if UA519 is being downgraded to be in line with the rest of the ORD-LAS flights that are all under 4 hours of scheduled time. Just a guess...
As has long been the case, meal categories are based on average IN-FLIGHT times for the city-pair. The block time of the flight is often much greater. ORD-LAS flights inflight average will likely be somewhere around 3h25m. That is the time used to determine meal category. The block (scheduled) time has nothing to do with it unfortunately.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UAinAUS

As has long been the case, meal categories are based on average IN-FLIGHT times for the city-pair. The block time of the flight is often much greater. ORD-LAS flights inflight average will likely be somewhere around 3h25m. That is the time used to determine meal category. The block (scheduled) time has nothing to do with it unfortunately.
Ah, good to know. Thanks for the info! I recently switched from AA to UA, and AA uses mileage for their determination, so it's much easier to determine based on actual data. Then they pull aside some specific routes and note which ones get upgraded service even if they technically fall into a lower category.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA& UA 1MM, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
SFO-BOS
Boeing 757-200
Breakfast

Pre-departure beverage of choice!

After take-off, hot towels followed by beverage of choice.

Menu (pictured below). I went with the quiche. It was pretty good and flavorful. Breads offered from the bread basket.

Sandwiches and snack basket were offered prior to arrival, but I slept through that.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA& UA 1MM, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
BOS-SFO
Lunch
Boeing 757-200

Pre-departure beverage of choice!

After take-off, hot towel followed by warm nuts and drink of choice. FA proactively came around offering the Old Fashioned cocktail when taking drink orders.

I chose the short ribs as my entree. They were a little tender, but otherwise okay. The salad was good, and the bread plate included rosemary bread roll and garlic bread (no choice) pre-plated. The appetizer was a total joke. Extremely cheap and measly.

Made to order sundaes or cheese plates followed.

Plated sandwiches and a passing of the snack basket offered prior to arrival. Sandwich choices were either a cucumber/tomato salad or a turkey wrap. I went with the turkey wrap. It was okay.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I have a question about the new signature cocktail for premium transcons. Is it offered on non-transcon flights like the Moscow Mule is (sans skewer)?
Old May 5, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by diburning
I have a question about the new signature cocktail for premium transcons. Is it offered on non-transcon flights like the Moscow Mule is (sans skewer)?
Yes. It was available this week LAS-DEN on United mainline and DEN-TUL on a SkyWest regional.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.