Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by findark
EWR-LAS is getting cold entrees?!? These meal cuts have really gone too far - or am I crazy and has it always been catered as a midcon? It's only 61mi shorter than LAX-IAD.
Well, no. My Jambalaya was hot, and as I had written, I thought it was very good indeed. The other choice (beef noodle salad) was indeed cold.. So it was one hot and one cold entree. The return flight LAS-EWR also had one hot and one cold choice.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cogitate
Well, no. My Jambalaya was hot, and as I had written, I thought it was very good indeed. The other choice (beef noodle salad) was indeed cold.. So it was one hot and one cold entree. The return flight LAS-EWR also had one hot and one cold choice.
I think the (possibly former) standard was two hot options, sometimes even three?? I can remember three for SFO-Islands, but I'm not sure if that ever happened with EWR-LAS.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
I think the (possibly former) standard was two hot options, sometimes even three?? I can remember three for SFO-Islands, but I'm not sure if that ever happened with EWR-LAS.
The old meal standard from 2016 was 3 hot choices for all TCON flights (including West Coast to Hawaii, so e.g. IAD-LAX and SFO-HNL). It was very nice when flying regularly to have two non-vegetarian options to choose between (usually beef and chicken or beef and fish, along with a vegetarian option). I would assume based on length that EWR-LAS would have qualified as well. Midcons (SFO-ORD, IAH-EWR) would receive two hot choices at both lunch and dinner.

Having one hot choice is like having no choices if you want a real meal, and good luck getting the meal if the cabin is hungry!
Old May 4, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The old meal standard from 2016 was 3 hot choices for all TCON flights (including West Coast to Hawaii, so e.g. IAD-LAX and SFO-HNL). It was very nice when flying regularly to have two non-vegetarian options to choose between (usually beef and chicken or beef and fish, along with a vegetarian option). I would assume based on length that EWR-LAS would have qualified as well. Midcons (SFO-ORD, IAH-EWR) would receive two hot choices at both lunch and dinner.

Having one hot choice is like having no choices if you want a real meal, and good luck getting the meal if the cabin is hungry!
Thanks for the clarification. It seemed like the approximate rule was >2000mi gets 3, 1500-2000mi gets 2, all hot.

The new meal structureroulette seems both a massive annoyance and devaluation, but personally I can't clear upgrades on TCon or MidCon, except sometimes 'refreshments' redeyes, so I am down to one choice (burger) or zero!
Old May 4, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Pax on my EWR-IAH and IAH-EWR lunchtime flights this week were very annoyed at being "snacked". And the FAs were also peeved about it, because they had to be the bearers of bad news. And almost no one was upgraded on either of these flights, so almost all paid F fares.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Any recent Sfo/Ord experience? Debating on a lunch or dinner flight going east. I know the westbound will be breakfast which I will not be holding my breath with excitement for. It’s been almost 6 months since my last UA F flight which was underwhelming then (BNA-SFO which was cereal or nothing for everyone)
thanks
Old May 4, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Should still be the new cut-rate midcon standard of a choice of entree or entree salad. I'm on SFO-ORD on Monday - I'll can report back.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:21 pm

I don't think this interpretation is correct. The early section 220-359hrs is still meal- with breakfast you get fruit/bread/rolls and with dinner you get the dessert. The site could be written better to reduce confusion
Old May 4, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
SEA-DEN
A320
Dinner
May the 4th

Pre-departure beverage of choice and meal orders taken prior to takeoff.

Meal choices today were either a COLD (...?) chicken salad or the paella.

Hot towel followed by hot nuts, followed by drink of choice after takeoff.

I received my choice of the paella and it was excellent. It came with sausages and shrimp and was nice and flavorful. A HUGE step up for the poor quAAlity meals I am used to

The side salad came with a great sesame vinaigrette dressing and a pretzel roll was served on the side. While pretzel roll would have been my choice anyway, this is one area where AA clearly shines with a choice of breads via a bread basket.

A cheesecake and drink of choice (coffee and Bailey's in my case) followed.

Drink was refilled when my meal was served, too. Overall, a great flight.

onthesam likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
@UAPremierGuy meal looks very nice. Also, kudos on your expert placement of the meal tray with minimal disruption to your tablet in the A320 tablet slot. I find it difficult to make that arrangement work.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:37 am

Should still be the new cut-rate midcon standard of a choice of entree or entree salad. I'm on SFO-ORD on Monday - I'll can report back.
To be clear, you're talking about dinner, not lunch, correct?
Old May 5, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: United 1K, Expedia Rewards Gold, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Gold Status, Presidential Plus
ORD-LAS, May 2nd. 12:46p departure. Cheese plate or noodle salad. Unreal how bad it's gotten. Miscater or not, they made no effort to make it right.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by munster182
ORD-LAS, May 2nd. 12:46p departure. Cheese plate or noodle salad. Unreal how bad it's gotten. Miscater or not, they made no effort to make it right.
This is definitely not a miscater. The new midcon "lunch" is intended to be exactly this: no longer choice of two full hot meals.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Expedia Rewards Gold, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Gold Status, Presidential Plus
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is definitely not a miscater. The new midcon "lunch" is intended to be exactly this: no longer choice of two full hot meals.
Wait - seriously? A cheese plate constitutes lunch?!
zeer0 likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
The flight he was on (UA 519 on 5/2) is scheduled for 4 hours 1 minute. UA's inflight dining page shows flights between 4 hours and 5 hrs 19 mins to receive "A meal service with two entree choices" between 5am and 8pm. The 2 hrs. 20 mins. to 3 hrs 59 mins. calls for a "chilled plate with chocolate on afternoon flights." However, all other ORD-LAS nonstop flights are scheduled for between 3:52 and 3:56, so I'm wondering if UA519 is being downgraded to be in line with the rest of the ORD-LAS flights that are all under 4 hours of scheduled time. Just a guess...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.