Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:52 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by munster182
The fact this is a mainline first class meal (snack or not) is absolutely ridiculous. Kirby is the worst.
It was an express flight.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
No dressing, but I created one using the wedge of lime, diced tomato and pepper.
Wow, that salad needs some dressing. Personally, I always bring my own vinaigrette along - part of my spice bag in my carry-on.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:57 pm

In Comparison ... My Recent AA Flight

The meal service on United looks absolutely deplorable. Just last week I flew DFW-RSW on American and received a full lunch service on a flight that departed at 2:30 pm with a block time of 2:21. The choices were a shrimp salad (which featured a plate full of large shrimp on the side ... or lasagna, which I chose on the website via their pre-order option. The salad was quinoa and I quite enjoyed it. Overall the meal was very enjoyable! Fresh baked cookies followed.

Also on an interesting note, you can now pre-order 13 special meal options on AA domestic flights as well.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by munster182
The fact this is a mainline first class meal (snack or not) is absolutely ridiculous. Kirby is the worst.
Judging by that yoghurt and milk carton, it's a non-perishable meal that was probably catered at the hub (in this case IAH) for storage on the aircraft overnight. Those suck on any carrier, and to play devil's advocate, you can't really blame Kirby there.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: 1K
2/20 DEN-ORD - Dinner. I didn't take a picture as everyone else has shared DEN's wonderful catering. Full PDB, then nuts and a drink, and then one choice for the 20 passengers in first, Cheeseburger w Gouda, accompanied with the peaches that they continue to give instead of salad (however this time as opposed to some pictures I saw, they poured them in the bowl), a bag of potato chips and chocolate cake or cheesecake. The crew was phenomenal, even with lots of turbulence.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I've had this recently and no dressing served. Like UA_Flyer, used the lime, salt/pepper and the diced veggies to make a "dressing" of sorts.

FA here. This is indeed served with no dressing - promise that it isn't forgotten by us (FA's) or that catering messed up. No dressing comes with it. don't shoot the messenger
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyGuy1992
which I chose on the website via their pre-order option.
You have no idea how bad us FA's at UA are begging for this option. It would eliminate what is, sometimes, an unpleasant experience..for a select few.. Many FA's hate taking meal orders simply because of the temper tantrums thrown by grown adults that they aren't able to hold their first choice (hint: they're usually at the bottom of the pyramid when it comes to status levels) I personally have no issue handling these individuals. In any case, I'm super interested in the logistics of AA's method of online ordering.. such as, what happens in the event of FC pax misconnecting, then upgrade taking their seat? They're forced to take misconnected pax's choice? I can't imagine catering would board back up choices according to every eligible upgrade's choice. Hmm.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I flew IAD-SFO a few days ago in paid F. I’ve been an AA flyer for years, but now I just take the most convenient flight. In any event, UA’s food was surprisingly bad — had some odd chipped beef entree with beef that was hard as shoe leather, a pitiful salad, and stale bread. Was totally surprised with how bad it was. The cookie st the end of the flight was delicious, but I thought UA was promoting their improved F product??
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ceasy
I thought UA was promoting their improved F product??
Yeah you missed that by about six months. Now they are in slash and burn mode.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is westbound TCON flying the "beef bourguignon", root vegetables, and the awful "spinach leaves and a tiny cheese ball make a salad, I promise?". Eugh, that meal is awful - pick the other choice.

On the other hand I think I heard lobster mac is in the wild this month..
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights

Christmas Day '17, TPA_IAH A320 - super nice FA however no snack basket and no explanation. My first Gold upgrade as I had just met qualifications. No offer to anyone to get a snack box from Y. Based on "where is this aircraft coming from, it was a TPA-IAH-TPA-IAH. Surely good have been stocked at IAH.

Next flight was IAH-TUS, A319, Block 2:29 with Dinner. Honestly, for a short flight excellent. The F/A hustled so hard too. PDB, before dinner bev service with hot nuts. Entree was chicken and Mac/cheese (which apparently the higher up elites grabbed) or a chilled salmon salad that my seat mate and I both ordered. Have to be honest, it was really really good. Huge, very fresh and perfectly cooked salmon, with apples, nuts, cranberries. Salad was properly chilled without frozen greens. Roll and turtle cheesecake. I have to be gluten free and I could only have the salad but this is something I would gladly order in advance if offered. Very satisfying meal. I have to say, didn't look like the Plat/1K's were enjoying the chick/Mac/cheese. after dinner drinks were offered too along with cordials.

again service was excellent. 18 year LUA crew still on a/b reserve rotation based out of LA. Super pleasant; excellent flight.

Tuesday 2/16 snack basket TUS-LAX, LAX-TUS snack was a decent sized fruit plate with a cold scone (E175). Return on Monday SEA-SFO A319, Full snack basket that she refilled after row one so all selections avail. Again PDB on all flights.

All F/A's friendly, pleasant and offered multiple bev services. Given with what they had to work with, they did a great job

tstauck likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Today's Southwest Chicken Salad MTJ-ORD -- less lettuce than ever before but now enhanced with a tiny piece of carrot!. Accompanying the corn and bean salad was the plated piece of chocolate caramel that I've been seeing a lot lately (hint: I think, UA, you can go without plastic plate for this particular dessert). Pretzel twists were a nice touch -- an addition by the extremely professional and hardworking G7 cabin crew.

I believe this one was catered in Chicago for the turnaround.

Now with carrot piece!

Last edited by onthesam; Feb 22, 2018 at 5:40 pm Reason: resize photos fail
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Lobster mac on LAX-HNL 737 last week
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Lobster mac on LAX-HNL 737 last week
Score! Time to go to Hawaii
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TheFlyGuy1992

The meal service on United looks absolutely deplorable. Just last week I flew DFW-RSW on American and received a full lunch service on a flight that departed at 2:30 pm with a block time of 2:21. The choices were a shrimp salad (which featured a plate full of large shrimp on the side ... or lasagna, which I chose on the website via their pre-order option. The salad was quinoa and I quite enjoyed it. Overall the meal was very enjoyable! Fresh baked cookies followed.

Also on an interesting note, you can now pre-order 13 special meal options on AA domestic flights as well.
This is exactly what I had on a recent AA flight, except my dish had an additional antipasti salad, and the roll never showed up - plus for dessert we had a big slice of chocolate mousse cake. While the presentation was, for lack of a better description, a hot mess, the quantity was easily double any recent UA hot meal, and the dish actually had some flavor. While not much thought went into the presentation, it was apparent the recipe was not bad at all. Based on AA reports here I was expecting a bag of peanuts to be thrown at my head in first class, but was pleasantly surprised at what was served.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.