Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
For a redeye midcon, can I request an economy snack box instead of the snack basket they offer? 1K if it helps.
You can request it. Success will be variable depending on crew.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
For a redeye midcon, can I request an economy snack box instead of the snack basket they offer? 1K if it helps.
Hithere, how have you been? I've never had an issue getting a snack box while in business class. Just desperately with a questionable tone in your voice like is it possible to get a snack box (with that line I've never been the kind) safe travels…
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA545
YVR-DEN

Boeing 737-800
Meal: Breakfast

No choice - just a continental breakfast

UA749
DEN-EWR

Boeing 757-200
Meal: Lunch

Choice of: Lentil chili or beef mac & cheese (below). Also, is it normal to have canned pineapple instead of salad/fruit? First time I've seen that served.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hirohito888
UA545

UA749
DEN-EWR

Boeing 757-200
Meal: Lunch

Choice of: Lentil chili or beef mac & cheese (below). Also, is it normal to have canned pineapple instead of salad/fruit? First time I've seen that served.
The canned pineapple is a result of on-going catering issues at DEN. They still aren't sending out fresh veg from there. It is actually a good sign you received a more traditional meal over the BOB economy items that have been served lately. Don't you feel lucky?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by goodeats21
The canned pineapple is a result of on-going catering issues at DEN. They still aren't sending out fresh veg from there. It is actually a good sign you received a more traditional meal over the BOB economy items that have been served lately. Don't you feel lucky?
Thanks! I didn't know about the catering issue. I guess I do feel lucky now!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
UA2069
DEN-RSW

1/8/2018
737-900
Breakfast

Choice of sourdough breakfast sandwich or Honey Nut Cheerios. They only stocked 3-4 sandwiches, so I wasn't offered that choice; instead, FA said I could have a hot lunch from economy, so I chose the gouda cheeseburger.

Cheeseburger arrived along with a cup of vanilla yogurt and fruit salad. I was not given any veggies with my burger (I thought it came with lettuce and a pickle), but I was given the condiment packets.

We were also offered a biscuit or cinnamon roll. I took the cinnamon roll.

The yogurt was fine, the fruit salad tastes as if it was defrosted literally minutes prior to being served, and the cheeseburger was incredibly greasy. Maybe I should've gotten the pizza instead. The cinnamon roll was okay.

In the end, no complaints from me since I was upgraded, and I didn't have to buy lunch when I landed.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Thanks! I didn't know about the catering issue. I guess I do feel lucky now!
No worries. Been going on for quite a while:
DEN first class catering issues
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
New VP of Catering Ops...for better or worse

Catering Ops seems to be a revolving door lately. Let's see what change this brings.

Excerpt of announcement passed to Inflight:
Chief Customer Officer and Global Customer Service Delivery SVP Tracy Lee announced on Tuesday that Charlean Gmunder is joining our leadership team as VP of Catering Operations.

Charlean brings a wealth of experience from her 30 years in the food service industry, a career that has spanned manufacturing, operations, supply chain management and global logistics at companies like PepsiCo and the Wrigley Company. In particular, her strengths lie in implementing continuous improvement strategies and organizational goal setting, two areas that will benefit us in our quest to provide the highest-quality food and beverage experience to our customers.

“In our search for a new vice president, we looked for someone who could lead an organization in its short-term and long-term objectives, and I’m excited to say that we found that person in Charlean,” said Tracy. “She’s someone who looks not only at immediate success but is very deliberate in looking ahead and planning for what’s to come.”

Charlean’s first day with the airline will be January 22
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
UA1161
IAH-DCA
0940 departure

1/11/2018
737-700
Breakfast

This was my 1MM flight so started with a glass of prosecco

Choice of vegetable calzone or protein plate with salmon. Calzone was served with Greek yogurt, fruit cup and offered cinnamon roll or biscuit. Packet of cholula really came in handy for the calzone.

Last edited by TWA Guy; Jan 14, 2018 at 11:18 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
UA2392
SAT-IAH
0730 departure

1/11/2018
737-800
Light snack

PDBs served by very friendly crew. Drinks and warmed muffin served inflight. Y only got water service since it was 35 minute flight.

Last edited by TWA Guy; Jan 14, 2018 at 11:23 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Some recent experiences with SkyWest dba United Express on meal service flights to PBI. All in all, very good service from these crews. Both segments had warm towel service, lunch service included nuts (not warmed), and frequent refills. Oddly, on the lunch flight, the FA bounced around the cabin to take meal orders. Despite being seated in row 4, only two pax had their orders taken before me and I'm only Gold with United (apparently a lot of silver upgrades).

UA5404 - ORD to PBI 9/1/18 @ 0730 Departure (breakfast). Choice of oatmeal or "protein plate". Went with the protein plate, which has been much discussed. Fruit was fresh though, especially the pineapples.

UA 5426 PBI - ORD 11/1/18 @ 1230 Departure (Lunch). Choice of Asian Salad with chicken or Roast beef sandwich. Asked the FA which she heard from pax was better. Response: Oh, I don't eat the food. Okay, that's an answer to a question, but not the question I asked. Roast beef sandwich was actually pretty nice. It was served cold, with thicker slices of roast beef, bleu cheese and I think mizuna lettuce. Great little sandwich, and I would definitely recommend it.

Verdict: all in all, pretty good performance by SkyWest on this route.

Last edited by CHOPCHOP767; Jan 12, 2018 at 11:34 am Reason: added dates.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Catering Ops seems to be a revolving door lately. Let's see what change this brings.

Excerpt of announcement passed to Inflight:
Chief Customer Officer and Global Customer Service Delivery SVP Tracy Lee announced on Tuesday that Charlean Gmunder is joining our leadership team as VP of Catering Operations.

Charlean’s first day with the airline will be January 22
So is Ms. Gmunder an external hire? Any intelligence on how things went in her last job?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by transportprof
So is Ms. Gmunder an external hire? Any intelligence on how things went in her last job?
This was what I was able to find

Charlean Gmunder is Vice President, Manufacturing, Prepared Meat for Maple Leaf Foods. In
this role, she is responsible for eleven prepared meat manufacturing plants located throughout
Canada. Charlean has over 30 years of global manufacturing experience in the food industry
including beverages, confectionery, food ingredients, meat processing, and produce. While
Charlean started her career with Pepsi Cola Bottling Company, a large portion of her career was
spent with the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company in a variety of leadership roles in Manufacturing,
Engineering, Quality Assurance, Logistics, and Sales. As President of the wholly-owned
subsidiary, L. A. Dreyfus Company, Charlean was also responsible for global gum base
operations for the Wrigley Company. Subsequent to this, Charlean has held leadership
responsibilities in both large multinationals and smaller North American food processing
operations. She currently serves on the Advisory Board for Uncle Charley’s Sausage.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9:00 pm dept premium transcon catering

The schedule shows dinner on a 9:00 pm ps business flight out of EWR. Is this indeed a full dinner service?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Hello all,

Flying UAX in Business from YYZ-IAH-PVR on the E175. I’ve read many threads on the meal service, but can anyone give me a rough idea as to what the following meal services look like on UX for these flights?

Breakfast (3.55 flight time)
Snack (2.45 flight time)
Refreshment (2.26 flight time)
Dinner (3.08 flight time)

Also, is prosecco available on UAX flights, or just mainline?

Thanks all in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.