Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No UA Schedule Change Notification for flights booked via AMEX

Old Dec 31, 17, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler

Happy New Year!
My spouse and I recently purchased two one way tickets from ANI-EWRin March (post cruise return).
We booked the trip through AmEX Platinum Travel.
With our history of flights being dropped by UA numerous times, I consistently follow up to ensure flights and seats remain OK.
I noticed this evening that our original flight was canceled and UA placed us on the later flight. It’s a few hours later, I’m sure we can find some additional beach time.
We never received any notification from UA about the flight cancelation. I wrote customer care and they immediately wrote back stating it was AMEX’s responsibility to notify us.
Our MIleagePlus and contact information was correct and loaded in the PNR.
In past, when booking via AMEX on DL and changes occur, DL contacts me directly.
Is this true from UA? A little odd.
Old Dec 31, 17, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
Assume you mean ANU (Antigua) for the airport?
I always hold myself responsible to discover flight changes.
Old Dec 31, 17, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FragranceMarketingGuy View Post
they immediately wrote back stating it was AMEX’s responsibility to notify us.
This is correct. AmEx is your travel agent. The airline notifies the travel agent and the travel agent is supposed to handle all issues with the passenger. That's one of the quirks of booking indirectly.
Old Dec 31, 17, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver
UA doesn't have the best track record for sending out emails. The general consensus is for a big change (like your cxl) you'll get an email (days to weeks later). For a small change (5 min), you might not get anything. You probably noticed it before they sent the email.

And the other posters are correct. Legally UA doesn't have to notify you since you didn't buy the ticket from them.
Old Dec 31, 17, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The whole point of booking w/ Amex is that you call them to manage things like "UA had a schedule change, please make them fix it." Give them a call -- their TA group is pretty good.

Amex is a pretty great TA in my experience; they have a fair amount of leverage and they are willing to use it to fight (if needed…) to get you reaccommodated when airlines make changes.
Old Dec 31, 17, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
The whole point of booking w/ Amex is that you call them to manage things like "UA had a schedule change, please make them fix it." Give them a call -- their TA group is pretty good.

Amex is a pretty great TA in my experience; they have a fair amount of leverage and they are willing to use it to fight (if needed…) to get you reaccommodated when airlines make changes.
Well OP sounded pretty pleased with the rebook so there's nothing to fix per se...

I always book direct due to those OTA/codeshare horror stories but perhaps my aversion is unfounded.
Old Jan 1, 18, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
If you add the reservation into the UA app on your phone, and set up notifications, you will get them on your phone.
Old Jan 1, 18, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FragranceMarketingGuy View Post
........I wrote customer care and they immediately wrote back stating it was AMEX’s responsibility to notify us...........Is this true from UA? A little odd.
That's normal practice. I don't see it as odd.

If you don't accept changed schedule, it is Amex travel who should rebook you. Don't you think it is odd if UA notifies you, then UA cannot rebook you when you don't accept new schedule?
Old Jan 1, 18, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sabbasolo View Post
If you add the reservation into the UA app on your phone, and set up notifications, you will get them on your phone.
huh? OP is talking about a schedule change we’ll in advance. There are no way to set up notifications through UA on the app for this. You are probably referring to flight status notifications, which of course, can be set up through the app.

To the OP: while UA is terrible at sending schedule change notifications, this is not their responsibility. As mentioned by others, when booked through a TA, it is their responsibility to notify you - so your beef would be with them.
Old Jan 1, 18, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

huh? OP is talking about a schedule change we’ll in advance. There are no way to set up notifications through UA on the app for this. You are probably referring to flight status notifications, which of course, can be set up through the app.

To the OP: while UA is terrible at sending schedule change notifications, this is not their responsibility. As mentioned by others, when booked through a TA, it is their responsibility to notify you - so your beef would be with them.
Actually, though not a notification per se, the app will call out schedule changes as "waitlisted" flights. Isn't an automatic notification, but akin to when the normal website shows my flight itinerary going only to a connecting city - it's a flag.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: