Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do you stop using the Chase MP card(s) once you hit $25K & PQD waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Do you stop using that card once you hit $25K (assuming you have another card with similar/better benefits)?

Not an important question but was curious after seeing how many people seem to hit their PQM and then seem to stop.

I try to spend only $25K on the Explorer CC because I prefer the Sapphire CC.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2017 at 10:40 pm Reason: Made title clearer
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some need to spend $35K to get the 5K PQM (or 10K RDMs) bonus of the older cards.
nnn likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Aside from the PQD waiver, another reason to stop at $25K is you also only get the one 10,000 mile bonus.

After I hit $25K this year, all my tickets went on AMEX Plat and the rest of my spend is split between Sapphire and SPG AMEX.
nnn and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some need to spend $35K to get the 5K PQM (or 10K RDMs) bonus of the older cards.
I'im in that camp, and still use it afterwards. Not for the miles exactly, but because I prefer using one card mostly.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Yep. I managed to hit $25008 this year a few weeks too early In previous years I've cut it so close my status didn't update until early Jan! As a churner, there are usually "MSR"s that need tending to.

I love my biz card. Since there are 2x categories, I've earned a total of 50k miles. So it's essentially a double miles card. And the spend encourages Chase to waive the AF (I think I'm 2 for 3).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I met the $25,000 waiver sometime in July. I'll finish the year at just under $40K spend on the card. I shift some expenses to other cards once I hit $25K, but I continue to use the MP Explorer for many expenses, especially travel-related.

Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:14 am

My MP Select offers 5K EQM on a one-for-one match with UA purchases, and a 5K RDM annual bonus. It also awards 3 miles per dollar for UA purchases. So this card gets all my UA spending even after I hit the $25K mark each year. However, once I hit 1 MM bis (lifetime Gold), this card will probably be canceled or PC'd and all travel will go to the CSR.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
After I hit $25K this year, all my tickets went on AMEX Plat and the rest of my spend is split between Sapphire and SPG AMEX.
After I hit 25K on my Chase UA Club card, most of my high dollar spend goes on AMEX Plat, except for tickets for travel on UA.
Aussienarelle and Bruin1K like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
After I hit 25K on my Chase UA Club card, most of my high dollar spend goes on AMEX Plat, except for tickets for travel on UA.
I'd rather have 5 MR than 2 UA.
nnn and JHake10 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:20 am

Good point. I just shifted from AMEX green to Platinum, so I'm still learning the benefits on the latter.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Good point. I just shifted from AMEX green to Platinum, so I'm still learning the benefits on the latter.
Although the Chase cards offer much better travel insurance, so it's not irrational to use the UA card.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’m in the 35K camp as well. Past it a month or so ago and am holding off on a couple big spends until January so they count toward 2018.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I have an old MileagePlus Mastercard which I've been keeping for its $65 annual fee. Might it also provide the PQM bonus? I don't think I've ever received one, but I'm not sure I've put over $35K on it in a year.

I find it very difficult to find this information at Chase. Any pointers or links would be appreciated!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Likewise here, though with URs myself. With the CSR, 3x UR points turns into 3x UA miles, which is strictly better than 2x UA miles from the MPE on ... all fronts? Though I suppose if you pay with the CSR you lose the baggage allowance ...

Here's an interesting question though: I can't hit the PQD waiver with organic spend. I can reach it if I pay rent via the card (at ~$650 in fees over 12 months). Is Premier Gold worth $650 in fees, or would it only be worth doing for Platinum for BG1+RPUs?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Is Premier Gold worth $650 in fees, or would it only be worth doing for Platinum for BG1+RPUs?
For E+ at booking and *A lounge access? That would be worth it to me if I was flying 50K per year, especially if some of that was international.

You'll also earn 35K UA miles, which I'd value somewhere between $350 and $525.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.