Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Allegations of sexual assault on United Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

UA just can't catch a break.

Washington (CNN)Katie Campos settled into her seat for a short flight from Newark to Buffalo last week. Within minutes, she said, an intoxicated male passenger sitting next to her began groping and harassing both Campos and a second female passenger seated in the same row, grabbing Campos repeatedly despite her demands for him to stop it.

"He grabbed my upper thigh, like in the crotch area, and he grabbed it pretty forcefully," Campos told CNN, adding that the man only stopped touching her after she got out of her seat and ran to the back of the plane, where she told a flight attendant what was happening.
Women detail sexual assaults and harassment on flights - CNNPolitics

Ms. Campos isn't happy with UA, but the pilot did arrange for the flight to be met by local law enforcement, and the passenger was taken into custody and charged. What else was UA supposed to do?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Aren't those E145s in 1-2? So he was aisle, she was window and he was interacting with the woman across the aisle?

If so seems like he would have been pretty noticeable to the FA or other surrounding pax. I can commiserate with her wanting to be far from the guy but with 50 min in the air on a regional jet is the FA supposed to start musical chairs?
Captain did the right thing, what was she expecting that he put the plane in park and come back there?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
The FA's are not trained well especially on the regional carriers. They are paid low wages and do not have the years of experience dealing with drunks and nasties.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Aren't those E145s in 1-2? So he was aisle, she was window and he was interacting with the woman across the aisle?

If so seems like he would have been pretty noticeable to the FA or other surrounding pax. I can commiserate with her wanting to be far from the guy but with 50 min in the air on a regional jet is the FA supposed to start musical chairs?
Captain did the right thing, what was she expecting that he put the plane in park and come back there?
Yep! But NOW it's ALWAYS the airlines fault. I do agree with some of the victims, however. Whenever a pax complains about this sort of harassment, it should be instantly/automatic that the f/a immediately separate the two, preferably moving the victim, and if the flight is full find the biggest dude you can to sit in that seat (... and comp him something nice). I know, I know, it's not any other pax's responsibility, but sometimes volunteer's are necessary. Probably, laying out the airline's for major lawsuit's if something goes wrong, but the f'a's should DO SOMETHING to protect their customers, at least until the plane lands somewhere, and the guy is arrested.

Btw, in the video posted abv, a Delta f/a tells the victim, "Oh, don't worry about that guy, he does this all the time. He's a "Platinum!"

You can't make this stuff up!

As a "Platinum" on UAL, I NEVER got this "Bennie!"
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Aren't those E145s in 1-2?
EWR-BUF also has mainline, not just UX.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:34 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I can never understand why the women involved in these incidents don't take stronger action. A really hard slap across the face, if not something more drastic, before going to report the matter to a FA, would seem to be the minimum response. That way, other pax become involved as witnesses. And for those who say that's assault, it can easily be justified as self-defence.
Two Bee and trooper like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by 1P
I can never understand why the women involved in these incidents don't take stronger action. A really hard slap across the face, if not something more drastic, before going to report the matter to a FA, would seem to be the minimum response. That way, other pax become involved as witnesses. And for those who say that's assault, it can easily be justified as self-defence.
I very much understand the sentiment, but listening to what women say about such sentiments explains why it can be so hard to do. Often they do nothing because women are trained from a young age not to make a fuss/not to cause a scene. Women are taught that this is embarrassing for them, so why would they want to draw attention to it? (This makes me wonder how many women don't say anything and just tolerate it because "it's just a short flight" or whatever.) Women are told through the way we often discuss sexual assault and harassment in public discourse that this is something women might have brought on themselves by wearing suggestive clothing (any clothing, really) or just being friendly, which is misread as flirtatious. (Of course not being friendly makes them seen as b*ches.) Women are taught to question their judgment about these things. ... Also, I wonder how many people who ask "why didn't they...?" have been in a similar situation? Even for men, who are taught to be assertive and defend themselves, it might not be so easy. Having not experienced it, I can't say what I would do.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Maybe we can put those sex offender lists to use!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
An incident like this happened on one of my USAirways flights some years ago. Leaving from PHL to Europe. Intoxicated passenger groped neighbors. After an hour in flight, the plane had to return to PHL because then the US had jurisdiction on the case and could arrest him. About one year later we started getting emails and letters from the Department of Justice about how the case was proceeding.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:41 pm

I was the victim of sexual assault by someone I used to work for. Male on male. He thought I wanted it, that I'd be ok with it. I wasn't. Sometimes it happens so fast that you don't know what to do.

Let's stop victim blaming/shaming and show some support for these women.
l etoile, KBRDU, Glensea and 17 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by 1P
Because a "really hard slap across the face" could easily result in an "even harder punch in the nose/mouth from someone who is likely bigger, stronger, and drunk enough to not stop at a single punch."

The woman is already being mauled and groped in a public setting and no one is stepping up to help her, and you're suggesting she put herself at even greater risk of injury?
br2k, KBRDU, l etoile and 14 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Earlier this year, after hours of pleasant conversations, an intoxicated female passenger next to me got a bit frisky. No intervention from any FA on the flight; one of them even winked at us while the plane was on approach for arrival I concluded in her view, we were together? Regardless, it was an interesting flight for sure.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
An incident like this happened on one of my USAirways flights some years ago. Leaving from PHL to Europe. Intoxicated passenger groped neighbors. After an hour in flight, the plane had to return to PHL because then the US had jurisdiction on the case and could arrest him. About one year later we started getting emails and letters from the Department of Justice about how the case was proceeding.
SO! What happened?
artvandalay likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Two Bee
SO! What happened?
I was a little bit wrong. My wife and I were contacted by the US Department of Justice 3 months after the incident (not one year like I wrote previously) by mail and by email to let us know that we were victims in the case and that the perpetrator was no longer into custody as he had posted bail about ten days after the event. About one month after we were contacted he did get to court and they gave him five months of community confinement (whatever that is) and he had to pay $53000 of restitution to US Airways. I guess that was to reimburse USAirways for the fuel they had to dump so we could land back in PHL. For anybody who wants to speculate about the cost of the fuel it was an Airbus 330.

We were in Business Class so did not see the events that unfolded but did see the agitation from the two FAMs that were sitting in Business Class. According to my wife they were already agitated before we departed the gate. My wife was in 1A, I was in 4A. In that plane they are window seats alone. Twenty minutes after we boarded, my wife came to talk to me for two minutes and she noticed that they made a gesture to check what she was doing and gave her a dirty look. After we landed back in PHL, while they were deplaning the perpetrator from the back of the plane, one of the FAMs shouted that we were not supposed to look backwards. Since my wife was seated in the front she did look and saw the deplaning. Passenger in 2A who seemed to be a person that did not travel frequently was shaken by the fact that the FAM was shouting at us. He spent the next hour mentioning it.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P
It's not like she can really get away from him. Striking without disabling could be a bad idea.
KathyWdrf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.