Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
United has reconfigured its 757-300 planes to increase density, primarily by adding non E+ seats (1 fewer E+ seats, 22 more E seats).

New Configuration
Boeing 757-300 (753)
24F 54E+ 156E

Post 165 assesses Seats 7DE (and 8ABC) (summary - watch out)
The armrest between 23 B/C and D/E is movable.
The inboard armrest on 23A & F is fixed and contains the tray table.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-753

Previous thread:Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by weezl

This should help with some 7DE and 8F questions.
The exit door juts a bit into row 7 but since there’s only two seats
it doesn’t encroach into your R side.
8F has pretty good leg room even with the door sticking out
in front of you but if you have long legs they will hit the door.
Galley is in front of row 7 but the bulkhead wall covering
it is far enough to allow good legroom for 7E, maybe even an
inch or two more than row 1 in FC.
7D on the aisle seems even roomier.
How about 8ABC?

What's consensus about the seats that become available ~ T-72 (which include 7DE, 8DEF, 8ABC and row 23 exit row)?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by drewguy
How about 8ABC?
The photo in post 151 is taken from me standing in what would be 7ABC, ie lots of leg room for 8ABC.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drewguy
How about 8ABC?

What's consensus about the seats that become available ~ T-72 (which include 7DE, 8DEF, 8ABC and row 23 exit row)?
8ABC are great, with infinite legroom. My impression of 7DE upon boarding is that they are literally in the galley. You get a front row seat to everything happening at 2R.. I would not be a huge fan of the seats.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
8ABC are great, with infinite legroom. My impression of 7DE upon boarding is that they are literally in the galley. You get a front row seat to everything happening at 2R.. I would not be a huge fan of the seats.
Does row 8 (and 23, which also has a missing seatback in the row in front) have fixed armrests for all seats? Or is the tray table just in the armrest for the seat with the missing seat in front? I generally have good luck with getting an empty middle, so it's preferable to have a liftable armrest.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Does row 8 (and 23, which also has a missing seatback in the row in front) have fixed armrests for all seats? Or is the tray table just in the armrest for the seat with the missing seat in front? I generally have good luck with getting an empty middle, so it's preferable to have a liftable armrest.
23A/F is my go to. It has fixed armrests. Not sure about Row 8 as I don’t like to put my carry-on in the overhead.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was my motivation for 23A, and Y is showing fully booked so I'll just keep it.

eta: sitting in 23A right now- 23A and F have the tray table in fixed armrests on the inboard side of the seat. The armrest between B/C and D/E is movable.

Last edited by chrisl137; Dec 27, 2018 at 7:40 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by prometa
I couldn't disagree more. Sat in 7D yesterday with my wife in 7E, and will avoid those two seats on any future flights.

Yes, you do get a bit more leg room, especially in 7D since you can extend your legs into the aisle. You're also the first out the door once the plane lands, which is nice. However, those perks come at a significant cost:
  • The orientation and tightness of the galley means you feel like you're sitting in the galley with the FA while he/she prepares the bar cart/coffee/tea (the flip side is I now know more than I ever thought I would about the details of how the bar carts are loaded and built). The FA has to pull the cart out of the galley into the open space in front of you and row 8A-C in order to assemble and prepare it, because there is no open space in the galley for prep.
  • The tightness of the galley means that while the FA in front of you is prepping, everyone else has to squeeze by, and often needs to stand in your leg room in order to get by.
  • The service carts have to turn 90 degrees to go from secured to up/down the aisle, and space is tight so you'll probably have to lean away from the aisle to not get bumped
  • You have no overhead bins above you, which means that you MUST put your bags behind you. You have to be quick and pushy once landed to get your stuff before the aisle is blocked (jayzala was able to put his/her bags in front of the last F row, but on my flight, crew bags occupied all of that space)
The galley tightness also soured the experience of people in 8A-C on my flight, and the FAs, while doing an admirable job, also looked cramped and a bit stressed.

It was bad enough I commented on the post-flight survey that UA should leave the galley as is and omit the 7D/E seats in future retrofits.

There's a couple other things worth mentioning too:
  • The overhead light is built into the roof of the plane. You'll need to be tall AND standing to reach it. It's a superwhite LED that flooded the entire row with bright light -- great if you all want to read, but it ended up disturbing my seat mate. I think the lenses in the lights are the same as the rest of the plane, so focused assuming an overhead bin to seat distance not a roof to seat distance. That wrong focal distance means light floods more area than usual. Let me say again, the lights are BRIGHT. I would hate sitting in that row trying to sleep while a seatmate reads.
  • Since you're sitting in front of a door, you have no window. There's a fisheye porthole on the exit door, but you won't see much. If you don't care about windows, though, it won't bother you
  • The galley light is above the aisle, so it's even brighter than usual sitting near the galley on a night flight, even with the cabin lights fully dimmed..
On a recent transcon, I booked both 7D & E (due to a neck/shoulder injury from an old auto accident). People were envious. People wanted to sit in my extra seat while they waited for the lav... The seat does suffer from some of the things others have mentioned. Also, since it is a bulkhead seat, one can't lift up the arm rest between the two seats.

But the annoying thing about this flight was that the "gentleman" in 8F decided that his path to/from his seat was to go forward into row 7 and step over my legs and all the things I had out on the floor during the flight. Not what I had expected...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
But the annoying thing about this flight was that the "gentleman" in 8F decided that his path to/from his seat was to go forward into row 7 and step over my legs and all the things I had out on the floor during the flight. Not what I had expected...
I was in 8F on one of these new configs a few months ago, and I must say that path is tempting when 8D and 8E sleep on their tray tables the entire flight. But I didn’t do it.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
The last four old config 753s (birds 3852, 3855, 3856 and 3870) are in the shop undergoing densification, so the interim map shouldn't be around for long.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
The seat map just updated to the new config. I'm currently sitting in 7E but after scanning this thread it seems pretty mixed. 35C/D are available, but there doesn't seem to be any reviews here? Would you take row 7 with the galley issues over row 35?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bioyuki
...Would you take row 7 with the galley issues over row 35?
There's no galley issues. The mid-cabin galley is basically used for storage, no prep etc. The FAs don't hang out there and gab. The bigger problem w/ row 7 is proximity to lavatory. Door constantly opening/closing, people hanging out waiting. If it's a longer flight and you want something hot off the cart, likelihood of successful choice is better in 7 than in 35. And it takes a lot of time to de-plane from row 35.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 3, 2019 at 9:46 am
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No more interim map

It appears the last 753 has been reconfigured, and the odd interim map has been removed. No more free E+ in 9ABC for non-Premier!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: WN (though no longer exclusive thanks to RR 2.0), AA, UA
So my seat map was showing the hybrid configuration until today where it now has the newer slimline options. I read earlier in the thread that 22B and 22C are E- seats without recline, so I am wondering if there is any advantage compared to other E- seats as we originally had. Does the lack of a window seat at least help it feel more spacious? Or are we better served elsewhere? It is a two hour flight so I don't feel the need to upgrade to E+. Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:09 pm

757-300 7E&7D or 23F&23E??

What is the leg room like in seats 7E & 7D? I would rather have two seats by themselves but my husband is 6'3 and I know 23F would be unlimited leg room.......

Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tealy13
What is the leg room like in seats 7E & 7D? I would rather have two seats by themselves but my husband is 6'3 and I know 23F would be unlimited leg room.......

img
(I think my post disappeared while this one was being moved; apologies if double-posted.)

I would choose 23, with the caveat that BoB options may be gone by the time the attendants get there. I've not sat in 7, but they look awkward and exposed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.