Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
United has reconfigured its 757-300 planes to increase density, primarily by adding non E+ seats (1 fewer E+ seats, 22 more E seats).

New Configuration
Boeing 757-300 (753)
24F 54E+ 156E

Post 165 assesses Seats 7DE (and 8ABC) (summary - watch out)
The armrest between 23 B/C and D/E is movable.
The inboard armrest on 23A & F is fixed and contains the tray table.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-753

Previous thread:Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Updated seat map on UA website. Seems interesting between row 21 and 23

Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by COEWR2587

I hereby dub 22BCDE the milk crate seats.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have the 753's already all been updated? The website doesn't have the old configuration any longer.

And adding to my confusion, here's the seat map shown on the website for my flight (in two months)

and here is what my reservation displays

Is row 9 E+ or not? Guess I'll move to 10.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If flight site correct, only one a/c has been converted?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If flight site correct, only one a/c has been converted?
Thanks, I thought the updates had not been so rapid. Will just have to wait for the actual map to shake out. The one I'm seeing doesn't even seem like the 'undecided' version, as it's not fully consistent with either old or new.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:26 pm

I just saw the same seat map on an upcoming 753 flight SFO-ORD a couple of weeks from now. What's odd is that it only shows a single overwing exit, when the 753 has 2. Also, row 9 not being E+ is odd, and the seat map is clearly missing a bunch of E+ for either 54 or 57 seats. I believe the total seat count on that map is 174, which is way too low for a 753.

I know UA sometimes puts in placeholder seat maps to protect against equipment swaps, but aren't those generally for flights months in the future? The one I'm looking at is mid-March, so one would expect the schedules to be more-or-less solidified (so pilot and FA schedules can be set).
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
I just saw the same seat map on an upcoming 753 flight SFO-ORD a couple of weeks from now. What's odd is that it only shows a single overwing exit, when the 753 has 2. Also, row 9 not being E+ is odd, and the seat map is clearly missing a bunch of E+ for either 54 or 57 seats. I believe the total seat count on that map is 174, which is way too low for a 753.

I know UA sometimes puts in placeholder seat maps to protect against equipment swaps, but aren't those generally for flights months in the future? The one I'm looking at is mid-March, so one would expect the schedules to be more-or-less solidified (so pilot and FA schedules can be set).
I am just as confused! (see above)

There is definitely some kind of hedging going on with the seat map, but it doesn't seem consistent with either configuration. Please let us know how it shakes out for your flight, particularly if you do have the misfortune to get the densified 753.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
United 753 with small E+ Cabin?

I'm looking at flights from SFO-OGG in late March and I'm coming across a seat config I've never seen before. The 1st flight SFO-OGG is a 753, but economy starts in row 9 and is E-. There are then 3 rows of E+ then 5 rows of E- before the exit rows. I've looked at seatguru and seatexpert as well as all of the FT forums and can't find any info on this configuration. Am I missing something here?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, the new composite 753 seatmap is quite a mess. There is no actual plane configured this way; you will almost certainly be flying on the old config (as listed on SeatGuru) but it's unclear where seats will move when the correct seatmap shows up two days before departure.

Still not as bad as the 77H for 77G swaps though.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, the new composite 753 seatmap is quite a mess. There is no actual plane configured this way; you will almost certainly be flying on the old config (as listed on SeatGuru) but it's unclear where seats will move when the correct seatmap shows up two days before departure.

Still not as bad as the 77H for 77G swaps though.
Wow, thanks for that. Sorry I missed it in my FT search. Guess I should have just looked at the front page.

I really hope you're right and that my plane gets swapped back to the old config. It was originally the old config and got swapped to the new config in the past week or two which makes me wonder if they have some a set integration plan to get the new configs in place. Really really hope my RPU clears now...

Mods, please feel free to merge with existing thread or delete.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
I really hope you're right and that my plane gets swapped back to the old config. It was originally the old config and got swapped to the new config in the past week or two which makes me wonder if they have some a set integration plan to get the new configs in place. Really really hope my RPU clears now..
Odds are you will be fine. Your frame hasn't been "swapped" in any real sense of the word - it's just now that they have any new 753s flying they want to come up with a "composite" seatmap such that regardless of which frame flies they don't sell seats that don't exist (normally this process makes a lot more sense, like blocking half of row 12 on the composite 739 since it's only sometimes E+ -- this particular composite seatmap is a little crazy).

Right now, there are 21 753s in service with United: 18 are flying in the old configuration, 1 is flying in the new config, and 2 are in the shop for modification. This likely won't change very much in a month, so you probably have about a 3 in 20 chance of seeing the new config.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by fumje
I am just as confused! (see above)

There is definitely some kind of hedging going on with the seat map, but it doesn't seem consistent with either configuration. Please let us know how it shakes out for your flight, particularly if you do have the misfortune to get the densified 753.
I wound up booking a different flight a day earlier (737), so won’t have the chance to find out. For those curious, it was the 2:10 pm flight on March 17, SFO-ORD.

While the Friday flight works slightly better for me timing-wise, one of the key reasons I specifically avoided this flight was fear of a down gauge to a 739. While I fully realize seat maps don’t equal loads before departure, one thing I found curious is that there were 7 unassigned F seats, but expert mode was showing that they were only selling F3, which would bring capacity to 20 (holding for a possible last-minute 739 swap?). This worried me because the only E+ non-middle showing available was row 12, which I was painfully reminded isn't always E+ on a 739. Either way, I didn’t want to book a flight, then need to babysit the seat map every day or so in order to make sure I don’t wind up in a terrible seat. Therefore, unfortunately, I’ll have to avoid booking 753s, at least until we see how these seat maps shake out.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
While I fully realize seat maps don’t equal loads before departure, one thing I found curious is that there were 7 unassigned F seats, but expert mode was showing that they were only selling F3, which would bring capacity to 20 (holding for a possible last-minute 739 swap?).
Or Y is overbooked by 4, or 4 passengers haven't selected a seat assignment yet, or...

A 753 -> 739 swap is extremely unlikely. Even if they had a bunch of empty seats and they were trying to avoid sending a half-empty plane, they presumably need the 753 for its next leg out of Chicago. Also, they'd need a different crew, at least up front; the 737 and 757 have a different cockpit layout, so it's extremely unlikely that the original crew would be have valid, up-to-date certifications for both.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I wonder if Row 22 is considered exit row. It appears that in an emergency one would exit either between Row 20 and 21 and between 23 and 22, but between 22 and 21 is not itself a passageway, so no need for added legroom (but no recline of course).
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:52 pm

Weird 757-300 seat map

Hi,
Just booked UA 1836 at 2:07 PM from ORD to LAX on April 5 and it says it's a 757-300, but the seat map doesn't seem to correspond to any seat map types on the UA website or seat guru. Any thoughts on what's going on? It has the first row of economy as row 9 and last as row 41. The seat map I see online should be row 7-43 (or 7-40 if it's the 752). Mainly asking because I strongly prefer row 7 on this plane and can't select it online. Worth calling?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 1, 2018 at 2:58 pm Reason: Merged into exisiting thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.