Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 18, 19, 10:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: chrisl137
Wiki Link
United has reconfigured its 757-300 planes to increase density, primarily by adding non E+ seats (1 fewer E+ seats, 22 more E seats).

New Configuration
Boeing 757-300 (753)
24F 54E+ 156E

Post 165 assesses Seats 7DE (and 8ABC) (summary - watch out)
The armrest between 23 B/C and D/E is movable.
The inboard armrest on 23A & F is fixed and contains the tray table.

Previous thread:Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 18, 9:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by amtrakusa View Post
look, before you say something you better know the fact. i can tell you E+ goes down from 57 to 54, a reduction of 3 only, if you know how to count.
The configuration above looks a lot like 48 E+ seats max, and more likely 46, since UA does not count the A/F seats adjacent to 3L/R as E+ because the slide pack cuts into about 1/3 of the leg space in those seats. It's unclear whether that will carry over to the new configuration but I don't doubt it. Currently, the 753 has 55 saleable E+ seats, and so the irony of your rather snarky statement is not lost on me.

Second, my point is that the desirability of many of those remaining E+ seats is questionable at best. The likelihood is that as many as 12 of those E+ seats are non-reclining. If so, then the reduction is actually 57 to 52, with 6 more non-reclining seats than current. One unfavorable aspect of the 757-300 is long board/deplane times, so having a larger E+ section at the front of the cabin mitigates this issue. Now, more E+ seat are farther back. Again, less desirable.

So yes, I can count, and IMV this configuration is a notable, but unsurprising, cut. If I'm wrong and there's an extra E+ row in the mix forward of the overwing exits, that would be a good thing.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Almost certainly neither, although of the two options presented, I think the latter is more likely. The only way they could add space would be to switch to redesigned bins its not like there are seats today with no bins above them. I cant find evidence that the Space Bin retrofit is even available for the 757, and if it were, Im not convinced UA would pay for it. These are planes that UA wanted to retire as recently as a year ago. Theyll simply check more bags at the gate.
UA was only planning to retire the 15 p.s. 757s, which have different engines and, until recently, were not planned for the nitrogen fuel tank inerting mod. The 753s were always part of the long-term fleet plan.

Zodiac (formerly Heath Tecna) has a pivot bin mod for the 757, but I don't believe it's available for the -300... or at least none of the handful of 753 operators have taken delivery of it.
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by EWR764; Jan 3, 18 at 7:11 am
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
My eyes have the same problem. I suspect that the low res image quality has led to the loss of an E+ row at the front of Y cabin - it shows only 3 rows, plus the exit rows, as E+, which would be a sizable decline. That would be 6 more seats.
Makes sense. Compared to DL's 753 seat map, that's probably where UA 'might' have a room to addsqueeze a row.
Old Jan 3, 18, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
UA was only planning to retire the 15 p.s. 757s, which have different engines and, until recently, were not planned for the nitrogen fuel tank inerting mod. The 753s were always part of the long-term fleet plan.

Zodiac (formerly Heath Tecna) has a pivot bin mod for the 757, but I don't believe it's available for the -300... or at least none of the handful of 753 operators have taken delivery of it.
Thanks for the correction. For some reason I had mixed up the 757 subfleets. Id still expect the entire 757 fleet to get phased out if the 797/MOM comes onto the market, although thats admittedly years away at this point. (Id expect theyd switch some traffic to 737 MAX and the rest to 797). So, while Id still be delighted to be wrong, I expect well see these roll back into service without new bins.
Old Jan 8, 18, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Why does my 757-300 flight have seat map that doesn't exist on UA or Seatguru website

Why does my 757-300 flight have seat map that doesn't exist on UA or Seatguru website?

Is this some new configuration? (flight is several weeks from today)

Old Jan 8, 18, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
It has elements of the new densified config, but not all the new seats.

Maybe it's just the seats that are safe in both configs, old and densified?
Old Jan 8, 18, 5:40 pm

What airport is this out of?
Old Jan 8, 18, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It has elements of the new densified config, but not all the new seats.

Maybe it's just the seats that are safe in both configs, old and densified?
This. It has quite a number of missing seats, but certainly looks to be the seats which will not get disturbed by swaps.

All non-firm 753 assignments have this now, see e.g. SFO-OGG on 12-Sep-18.
Old Jan 8, 18, 5:51 pm

That 753 seat map (coach) has been has been flying all over the place last 3 days or so. HNL-LAX flight on Wednesday morning has been showing 6-seat rows in coach starting at row 9-42, and one over wing exit. Looks like it's fixed now.
Old Jan 8, 18, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
That 753 seat map (coach) has been has been flying all over the place last 3 days or so. HNL-LAX flight on Wednesday morning has been showing 6-seat rows in coach starting at row 9-42, and one over wing exit. Looks like it's fixed now.
I wonder what happened to 32ABC... it's completely missing.
Old Jan 8, 18, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Wow that is one ugly seat map! Looks like one of the monsters from Transformers! I can see why UA streamlines and adds nice contrasting colors!
Old Jan 8, 18, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
Wow that is one ugly seat map! Looks like one of the monsters from Transformers! I can see why UA streamlines and adds nice contrasting colors!
That is the seat map in the FA manuals not the one on the public website.
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
So will ORD-West Coast now cruise at 21K feet?
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Odd 757-300 seat map

Jan 16, DCA to DEN is listed as a 757-300 but this morning my seat changed from 20C to 21B. A review of the seat map shows something funny. "Normal" 757-300 is 24/55/134 but this map shows 24/33/120 with only 1 exit row at row 21 (hence my automatic move to a middle seat). We hear of changes to increase the capacity (24/57/132) but this has gone the opposite way. I can only assume a computer error as this doesn't even match either of the 757-200 layouts. Odd the system we re-seat people automatically if there was a display problem though. Anyone know if this "new" layout is real?
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's not a real layout; it's the intersection of seats in the two 757-300 configs which are "safe" (i.e. exist in both configs and won't get moved around). I would expect the seatmap to revert to the old one overnight before the second day prior to your flight (similar to 739s adding the slimline rows). I don't think any new 753s are flying, so you won't see one.
Old Jan 26, 18, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
It's not a real layout; it's the intersection of seats in the two 757-300 configs which are "safe" (i.e. exist in both configs and won't get moved around). I would expect the seatmap to revert to the old one overnight before the second day prior to your flight (similar to 739s adding the slimline rows). I don't think any new 753s are flying, so you won't see one.
yeah... the seat map for my flight just went back to the current 757-300 as of this morning.... which meant that it automatically kicked me into a non-exit window seat again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: