Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 18, 19, 10:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: chrisl137
Wiki Link
United has reconfigured its 757-300 planes to increase density, primarily by adding non E+ seats (1 fewer E+ seats, 22 more E seats).


New Configuration
Boeing 757-300 (753)
24F 54E+ 156E


Post 165 assesses Seats 7DE (and 8ABC) (summary - watch out)
The armrest between 23 B/C and D/E is movable.
The inboard armrest on 23A & F is fixed and contains the tray table.





Previous thread:Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 30, 17, 4:25 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: IND
Posts: 1,894
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
LOPA (not officially acknowledged by UA, but I believe it likely accurate) here:
https://twitter.com/LAflyr/status/946450479655002112

Lose a galley at 2R, lav at 3L and closet at 4R. Plus 3 exit rows for two windows.
I count 228 (24F204Y) seats, not 234 (24F210Y). Could be an inaccurate seatmap. Or it's my eyes.
bobbybrown is offline  
Old Dec 30, 17, 5:30 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Redwood City, CA USA (SFO/SJC)
Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Posts: 8,512
Originally Posted by DCA writer View Post
The 738 will still have a worse passenger:lav ratio: Two for 150 people in the back.
Still amazes me that there are no requirements for a passenger/lavs ratio, nor even lavs being on the minimum equipment list. On some planes, the placement of the lavs greatly favors those in E- over elites in E+, and anything done to make that situation worse seems very elite-unfriendly to me. I haven't gone over the maps though, so maybe the new config has the Conti-style mid-lav?
Mike Jacoubowsky is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 1:23 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,859
You Can Continuously Smell the Breath of Surrounding Passengers

With slim seating I find you can smell the breath of your surrounding seat mates for the entire flight. When the seat in front of you reclines with their head against the wall of the plane the front passengerís face is so close to your face. I guess it is like being in an orgy with clothes on. Your fellow passengers can be all over you. And the seats are so hard that for a flight more than a few hours your body aches. Then the bathrooms have large protrusions making it difficult to move. Next the airlines will be charging extra for a clothing optional section of the plane to take advantage of the closeness of the slimline seating.
BF263533 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 11:46 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Posts: 3,355
Will overhead bin baggage space be added to accommodate 20 more bags? Or are they assuming those 20 seats will all be BE (though they arent necessarily restricted from using the overhead space)
eng3 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 12:33 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, IHG Platinum
Posts: 122
I'm happy with this - I really like the slimline seats. They're designed such that I can actually be comfortable without reclining the seat, which I find is not the case with most other aircraft seats. It's not related to them being slim at all, but I do think they're better designed.

Good to hear the new F seats are apparently getting added as well. They're miles ahead of the old seats in terms of storage space and comfort IMO. I also feel like I'm not as close to the person next to me, although that may just be a result of the visual appearance of the center console.
jm0933 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 3:54 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Posts: 1,313
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Let's try again.

2L boarding, seat width, number of lavs, and pitch can be objectively measured. We know what they are. But in the end, how passengers regard and rank those objective features are up to each and every passenger, who makes a subjective determination as to which aircraft they prefer. And if you're going to "objectively rank" the F cabin, how do you "objectively" decide which seat is more comfortable? You believe that the 753 is the best cabin in the fleet, and I suspect others share that view. But that is based on your subjective determination that the privacy afforded the 757 cabin makes it "objectively" better. There is simply no such thing as an "objectively best" F cabin on any airline, because the flying population are individuals who value things differently.

Yes, during the boarding process, the privacy is better in the 757. On disembarking, if I've got a tight connection, I prefer 1L boarding because that means I get off the aircraft quicker than if 2L is used to disembark. You mention the pitch is better in the A320. While I value seat width over pitch when sitting in back, when I'm up front in any aircraft, pitch and seat comfort are key. And as you admit, the A320 F pitch beats the 753. And unless UA installs slimline F seats in the 753, I doubt pitch is going to improve.
I gave you objective facts in favor of the 753 having the overall best F class in the domestic F fleet (which as we all know doesn't mean the best in every category). You can still dispute whether or not it's the best F class, and no one is saying you can't. But that doesn't change the objective facts in favor of the "best" distinction, so trying to subjectively claim otherwise, some going as far to say the 753 is now "the overall worst", is a revealing position.

The new F seats effectively increase pitch, so even if it stays at 38", the room should be better.

Last edited by minnyfly; Jan 1, 18 at 2:01 pm
minnyfly is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 4:04 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,872
Originally Posted by minnyfly View Post
I gave you objective facts in favor of 753 having the overall best F class in the domestic F fleet (which as we all know doesn't mean the best in every category). You can still dispute whether or not it's the best F class, and no one is saying you can't. But that doesn't change the objective facts in favor of the "best" distinction, so trying to subjectively claim otherwise, some going as far to say the 753 is now "the overall worst", is a revealing position.

The new F seats effectively increase pitch, so even if it stays at 38", the room should be better.
One person can view a certain seat on a certain plane as the “best” on United and another may view it, perhaps, as second best in their opinion. There are objective measurements and subjective opinions. Opinions are based not only on objective measurements but personal preferences, which will weigh seat comfort, pitch, etc into an opinion of a seat.

artvandalay likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 17 at 4:41 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 4:07 pm
  #68  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 40,852
Originally Posted by minnyfly View Post
I gave you objective facts in favor of 753 having the overall best F class in the domestic F fleet (which as we all know doesn't mean the best in every category). You can still dispute whether or not it's the best F class, and no one is saying you can't. But that doesn't change the objective facts in favor of the "best" distinction, so trying to subjectively claim otherwise, some going as far to say the 753 is now "the overall worst", is a revealing position..
IAH-OIL-TRASH nails it. People are individuals, and value things differently.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 17 at 4:42 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator eit
halls120 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 5:24 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Posts: 6,432
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
One person can view a certain seat on a certain plane as the “best” on United and another may view it, perhaps, as second best in their opinion. There are objective measurements and subjective opinions. Opinions are based not only on objective measurements but personal preferences, which will weigh seat comfort, pitch, etc into an opinion of a seat.
I happen to agree in that in F, the 753 is the best narrow-body plane left at UA, but at Delta I'll take the new A321 anyway over their newly retrofitted 757s.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 17 at 5:37 pm Reason: OT content removed
spin88 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 5:42 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,872
Originally Posted by minnyfly View Post
I gave you objective facts in favor of 753 having the overall best F class in the domestic F fleet (which as we all know doesn't mean the best in every category). You can still dispute whether or not it's the best F class, and no one is saying you can't. But that doesn't change the objective facts in favor of the "best" distinction, so trying to subjectively claim otherwise, some going as far to say the 753 is now "the overall worst", is a revealing position.

The new F seats effectively increase pitch, so even if it stays at 38", the room should be better.
"Biggest" or "largest", in itself does not guarantee "best". Biggest and largest can be measured objectively. "Best" or "worst" is subjective. The largest strawberry is not necessarily the sweetest. Your argument is the "largest" strawberry must be the "best". It is, if all you're concerned about is size. My choice would be otherwise because of other considerations. Same goes for seats. One person's "best" seat is not necessarily another's.

I like 1AB on the 753 because of the cavernous legroom and don't mind the monitor being on the bulkhead.. I think some prefer 1CD so they can annoy people by putting their feet 3' up on the bulkhead. Some prefer 2AB with the shorter pitch than 1ABCD because the monitor is closer on the seatback. (I don't even know if there's still monitors on some 753s). Same seats - 3 different opinions of what's "best".
sbm12 likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 31, 17 at 5:53 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 7:48 pm
  #71  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 423
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
LOPA (not officially acknowledged by UA, but I believe it likely accurate)

Lose a galley at 2R, lav at 3L and closet at 4R. Plus 3 exit rows for two windows.
The picture on twitter appears to be a screengrab from the FA e-manuals. 75E was loaded into the manuals the last update (or the one before, I can never keep track)

FA's are pissed about the lost galley and closets. It looks like there will be room for 2 carts at 2R, but the counter for them would probably be directly in the aisle, so I can't imagine it'll be very useful.
fezzington is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 8:46 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: RIC
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 3,200
Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
The picture on twitter appears to be a screengrab from the FA e-manuals. 75E was loaded into the manuals the last update (or the one before, I can never keep track)

FA's are pissed about the lost galley and closets. It looks like there will be room for 2 carts at 2R, but the counter for them would probably be directly in the aisle, so I can't imagine it'll be very useful.
Exactly like the 2R galley on the pmUA domestic 757s back in the day. Seemed to work fine then?
rch4u is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 9:31 pm
  #73  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,087
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Will overhead bin baggage space be added to accommodate 20 more bags? Or are they assuming those 20 seats will all be BE (though they arent necessarily restricted from using the overhead space)
Almost certainly neither, although of the two options presented, I think the latter is more likely. The only way they could add space would be to switch to redesigned bins ó itís not like there are seats today with no bins above them. I canít find evidence that the Space Bin retrofit is even available for the 757, and if it were, Iím not convinced UA would pay for it. These are planes that UA wanted to retire as recently as a year ago. Theyíll simply check more bags at the gate.
jsloan is offline  
Old Dec 31, 17, 9:57 pm
  #74  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,424
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
I happen to agree in that in F, the 753 is the best narrow-body plane left at UA, but at Delta I'll take the new A321 anyway over their newly retrofitted 757s.
The pitch is very tight in DL's new F cabins. Seats are more comfortable than UA's but I really notice the 2 inches that have been lost.

I do agree that 753 has best F cabin in the mainline UA narrowbody fleet, but that's mostly a combination of (1) turn left, (2) 1 A/B, and (3) the 737s are horrible.

There's also an argument that the E175 single is better than any other mainline domestic F seat.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 1, 18, 12:01 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,807
Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
I count 228 (24F204Y) seats, not 234 (24F210Y). Could be an inaccurate seatmap. Or it's my eyes.
My eyes have the same problem. I suspect that the low res image quality has led to the loss of an E+ row at the front of Y cabin - it shows only 3 rows, plus the exit rows, as E+, which would be a sizable decline. That would be 6 more seats.
drewguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: