Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
United has reconfigured its 757-300 planes to increase density, primarily by adding non E+ seats (1 fewer E+ seats, 22 more E seats).

New Configuration
Boeing 757-300 (753)
24F 54E+ 156E

Post 165 assesses Seats 7DE (and 8ABC) (summary - watch out)
The armrest between 23 B/C and D/E is movable.
The inboard armrest on 23A & F is fixed and contains the tray table.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-753

Previous thread:Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
LOPA (not officially acknowledged by UA, but I believe it likely accurate) here:
https://twitter.com/LAflyr/status/946450479655002112

Lose a galley at 2R, lav at 3L and closet at 4R. Plus 3 exit rows for two windows.
I count 228 (24F204Y) seats, not 234 (24F210Y). Could be an inaccurate seatmap. Or it's my eyes.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by DCA writer
The 738 will still have a worse passenger:lav ratio: Two for 150 people in the back.
Still amazes me that there are no requirements for a passenger/lavs ratio, nor even lavs being on the minimum equipment list. On some planes, the placement of the lavs greatly favors those in E- over elites in E+, and anything done to make that situation worse seems very elite-unfriendly to me. I haven't gone over the maps though, so maybe the new config has the Conti-style mid-lav?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:23 am

You Can Continuously Smell the Breath of Surrounding Passengers

With slim seating I find you can smell the breath of your surrounding seat mates for the entire flight. When the seat in front of you reclines with their head against the wall of the plane the front passenger’s face is so close to your face. I guess it is like being in an orgy with clothes on. Your fellow passengers can be all over you. And the seats are so hard that for a flight more than a few hours your body aches. Then the bathrooms have large protrusions making it difficult to move. Next the airlines will be charging extra for a clothing optional section of the plane to take advantage of the closeness of the slimline seating.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Will overhead bin baggage space be added to accommodate 20 more bags? Or are they assuming those 20 seats will all be BE (though they arent necessarily restricted from using the overhead space)
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
I'm happy with this - I really like the slimline seats. They're designed such that I can actually be comfortable without reclining the seat, which I find is not the case with most other aircraft seats. It's not related to them being slim at all, but I do think they're better designed.

Good to hear the new F seats are apparently getting added as well. They're miles ahead of the old seats in terms of storage space and comfort IMO. I also feel like I'm not as close to the person next to me, although that may just be a result of the visual appearance of the center console.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by halls120
Let's try again.

2L boarding, seat width, number of lavs, and pitch can be objectively measured. We know what they are. But in the end, how passengers regard and rank those objective features are up to each and every passenger, who makes a subjective determination as to which aircraft they prefer. And if you're going to "objectively rank" the F cabin, how do you "objectively" decide which seat is more comfortable? You believe that the 753 is the best cabin in the fleet, and I suspect others share that view. But that is based on your subjective determination that the privacy afforded the 757 cabin makes it "objectively" better. There is simply no such thing as an "objectively best" F cabin on any airline, because the flying population are individuals who value things differently.

Yes, during the boarding process, the privacy is better in the 757. On disembarking, if I've got a tight connection, I prefer 1L boarding because that means I get off the aircraft quicker than if 2L is used to disembark. You mention the pitch is better in the A320. While I value seat width over pitch when sitting in back, when I'm up front in any aircraft, pitch and seat comfort are key. And as you admit, the A320 F pitch beats the 753. And unless UA installs slimline F seats in the 753, I doubt pitch is going to improve.
I gave you objective facts in favor of the 753 having the overall best F class in the domestic F fleet (which as we all know doesn't mean the best in every category). You can still dispute whether or not it's the best F class, and no one is saying you can't. But that doesn't change the objective facts in favor of the "best" distinction, so trying to subjectively claim otherwise, some going as far to say the 753 is now "the overall worst", is a revealing position.

The new F seats effectively increase pitch, so even if it stays at 38", the room should be better.

Last edited by minnyfly; Jan 1, 2018 at 1:01 pm
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by minnyfly
I gave you objective facts in favor of 753 having the overall best F class in the domestic F fleet (which as we all know doesn't mean the best in every category). You can still dispute whether or not it's the best F class, and no one is saying you can't. But that doesn't change the objective facts in favor of the "best" distinction, so trying to subjectively claim otherwise, some going as far to say the 753 is now "the overall worst", is a revealing position.

The new F seats effectively increase pitch, so even if it stays at 38", the room should be better.
One person can view a certain seat on a certain plane as the “best” on United and another may view it, perhaps, as second best in their opinion. There are objective measurements and subjective opinions. Opinions are based not only on objective measurements but personal preferences, which will weigh seat comfort, pitch, etc into an opinion of a seat.

artvandalay likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 2017 at 3:41 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I gave you objective facts in favor of 753 having the overall best F class in the domestic F fleet (which as we all know doesn't mean the best in every category). You can still dispute whether or not it's the best F class, and no one is saying you can't. But that doesn't change the objective facts in favor of the "best" distinction, so trying to subjectively claim otherwise, some going as far to say the 753 is now "the overall worst", is a revealing position..
IAH-OIL-TRASH nails it. People are individuals, and value things differently.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 2017 at 3:42 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator eit
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
One person can view a certain seat on a certain plane as the “best” on United and another may view it, perhaps, as second best in their opinion. There are objective measurements and subjective opinions. Opinions are based not only on objective measurements but personal preferences, which will weigh seat comfort, pitch, etc into an opinion of a seat.
I happen to agree in that in F, the 753 is the best narrow-body plane left at UA, but at Delta I'll take the new A321 anyway over their newly retrofitted 757s.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 2017 at 4:37 pm Reason: OT content removed
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I gave you objective facts in favor of 753 having the overall best F class in the domestic F fleet (which as we all know doesn't mean the best in every category). You can still dispute whether or not it's the best F class, and no one is saying you can't. But that doesn't change the objective facts in favor of the "best" distinction, so trying to subjectively claim otherwise, some going as far to say the 753 is now "the overall worst", is a revealing position.

"Biggest" or "largest", in itself does not guarantee "best". Biggest and largest can be measured objectively. "Best" or "worst" is subjective. The largest strawberry is not necessarily the sweetest. Your argument is the "largest" strawberry must be the "best". It is, if all you're concerned about is size. My choice would be otherwise because of other considerations. Same goes for seats. One person's "best" seat is not necessarily another's.

I like 1AB on the 753 because of the cavernous legroom and don't mind the monitor being on the bulkhead.. I think some prefer 1CD so they can annoy people by putting their feet 3' up on the bulkhead. Some prefer 2AB with the shorter pitch than 1ABCD because the monitor is closer on the seatback. (I don't even know if there's still monitors on some 753s). Same seats - 3 different opinions of what's "best".
sbm12 likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 31, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
LOPA (not officially acknowledged by UA, but I believe it likely accurate)

Lose a galley at 2R, lav at 3L and closet at 4R. Plus 3 exit rows for two windows.
The picture on twitter appears to be a screengrab from the FA e-manuals. 75E was loaded into the manuals the last update (or the one before, I can never keep track)

FA's are pissed about the lost galley and closets. It looks like there will be room for 2 carts at 2R, but the counter for them would probably be directly in the aisle, so I can't imagine it'll be very useful.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by fezzington
The picture on twitter appears to be a screengrab from the FA e-manuals. 75E was loaded into the manuals the last update (or the one before, I can never keep track)

FA's are pissed about the lost galley and closets. It looks like there will be room for 2 carts at 2R, but the counter for them would probably be directly in the aisle, so I can't imagine it'll be very useful.
Exactly like the 2R galley on the pmUA domestic 757s back in the day. Seemed to work fine then?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Will overhead bin baggage space be added to accommodate 20 more bags? Or are they assuming those 20 seats will all be BE (though they arent necessarily restricted from using the overhead space)
Almost certainly neither, although of the two options presented, I think the latter is more likely. The only way they could add space would be to switch to redesigned bins — it’s not like there are seats today with no bins above them. I can’t find evidence that the Space Bin retrofit is even available for the 757, and if it were, I’m not convinced UA would pay for it. These are planes that UA wanted to retire as recently as a year ago. They’ll simply check more bags at the gate.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
I happen to agree in that in F, the 753 is the best narrow-body plane left at UA, but at Delta I'll take the new A321 anyway over their newly retrofitted 757s.
The pitch is very tight in DL's new F cabins. Seats are more comfortable than UA's but I really notice the 2 inches that have been lost.

I do agree that 753 has best F cabin in the mainline UA narrowbody fleet, but that's mostly a combination of (1) turn left, (2) 1 A/B, and (3) the 737s are horrible.

There's also an argument that the E175 single is better than any other mainline domestic F seat.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
I count 228 (24F204Y) seats, not 234 (24F210Y). Could be an inaccurate seatmap. Or it's my eyes.
My eyes have the same problem. I suspect that the low res image quality has led to the loss of an E+ row at the front of Y cabin - it shows only 3 rows, plus the exit rows, as E+, which would be a sizable decline. That would be 6 more seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.