Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
United has reconfigured its 757-300 planes to increase density, primarily by adding non E+ seats (1 fewer E+ seats, 22 more E seats).

New Configuration
Boeing 757-300 (753)
24F 54E+ 156E

Post 165 assesses Seats 7DE (and 8ABC) (summary - watch out)
The armrest between 23 B/C and D/E is movable.
The inboard armrest on 23A & F is fixed and contains the tray table.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-753

Previous thread:Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Slimline doesn't necessarily affect leg room. Space for stuffing seats in can be done three ways - 1) reducing pitch, 2) installing slimline seats, or 3) a combination of reducing pitch and installing slimlines.
Do the slimlines eliminate the seat pocket that can be used for storage? The flexibility of that has always created the feeling of more knee room for me.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by wh6cto
213 + 21 = 234

So 3-seat blocks likely.

What's crazy is that this is 3.5 rows of seats! They are definitely going to need to slimline the lavs, too. (I hate those more than the slimeline seats!)
They may eliminate the closet in Row 41, and make the last row a full 6 across (row 44 presumably).

Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
They may eliminate the closet in Row 41, and make the last row a full 6 across (row 44 presumably).

Yeah, but knowing United, they'll eliminate a lavatory in order to reduce maintenance. Why just add 10% seats (or whatever) when you can also reduce coach cabin lavs by 25%? United's thinking: "It's not like they (the coach passengers) have anywhere else to go (or go)".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 28, 2017 at 3:55 pm
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

I was thinking more along the lines of something like making DCA-SFO full-time lie-flat and adding other TCON routes (EWR-SEA, IAD-SFO, etc.), i.e. expanding the service to other destinations, not replacing the current mix of HD 772, sCO and sUA 752s.
I love the idea of making WAS-SFO and EWR-SEA have lie-flats especially for the red-eyes, but sadly the current UA management doesn't seem interested in doing much (in any reasonable time). It's definitely a shame, since the 753s would have a much lower ratio of J to Y than the 752s if they are worried about the relative strength of premium cabin demand.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Converting 753s to lie-flats would greatly reduce the F cabin from 24 to 14-16 seats. It would be hard to replace that decreased revenue. F fares would need to rise by 65-75%. The sCO 752s have 16F cabin but they were originally justified for TATL fares, not domestic fares. To convert the 752 in a similiar manner for domestic runs, would reduce the 753 fleet revenue potential, likely not an attractive idea for UA.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I've quite liked my UA 757 rides for the most part, I KNOW some of them have been 752, not sure if I've flown 753 or not. That being said, as a capitalist (though not a shareholder in United) I can't fault them for this at all. I'm AMAZED that they can squeeze 20 more seats (the article indicates 31 more, are some of those J?) without ruining the width/pitch, then I'm all for it. I don't love the slimline seats, no one does, and I liked that the 752s at least had AVOD, but again this is a positive change for the company, so I can't complain.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I've quite liked my UA 757 rides for the most part, I KNOW some of them have been 752, not sure if I've flown 753 or not. That being said, as a capitalist (though not a shareholder in United) I can't fault them for this at all. I'm AMAZED that they can squeeze 20 more seats (the article indicates 31 more, are some of those J?) without ruining the width/pitch, then I'm all for it. I don't love the slimline seats, no one does, and I liked that the 752s at least had AVOD, but again this is a positive change for the company, so I can't complain.
I think the loss of the closet in row 41 is a given. Don't think they will split the J cabin, so losing a row of e+ is a possibility, the rest will prob come from the diff between the current seats to slimline. Just theories.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by yul36
I think the loss of the closet in row 41 is a given. Don't think they will split the J cabin, so losing a row of e+ is a possibility, the rest will prob come from the diff between the current seats to slimline. Just theories.
That's was I'm thinking, I hadn't thought the of the closet, but between the E+ and the natural differences in size with the slimline seats, I agree with you. Again, I think it's pretty positive. Maybe not for my butt, but in general. I don't find them to be all that uncomfortable tbh, but I'm almost always in Y so all the seats are uncomfortable to a certain extent. Except maybe the barka loungers I sat in on the flight (MU) between PVG-CRK...they looked like chairs your dad would have in his cabin in the woods. Nice for the butt, but they held the heat in like crazy.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
LOPA (not officially acknowledged by UA, but I believe it likely accurate) here:

Lose a galley at 2R, lav at 3L and closet at 4R. Plus 3 exit rows for two windows.
Originally Posted by hoshattack
I love the idea of making WAS-SFO and EWR-SEA have lie-flats especially for the red-eyes, but sadly the current UA management doesn't seem interested in doing much (in any reasonable time). It's definitely a shame, since the 753s would have a much lower ratio of J to Y than the 752s if they are worried about the relative strength of premium cabin demand.
It is not just about a ratio but also the overall demand. Dropping 50 extra Y seats in on those routes hurts yields.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
From a business perspective, this change is overdue. UA's 753 has been an outlier in lower density. Hopefully the net result isn't significantly less comfortable.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Right... at least DL went for pivot bins on its 753 mods. I have no expectation that UA will do the same, despite a roughly 70% load factor in the current configuration bulking out the 753 overheads.
DL didn't upgrade to pivot bins in the 757-300, only the -200. Why not, I don't know.

Last edited by minnyfly; Dec 28, 2017 at 10:35 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by minnyfly
From a business perspective, this change is overdue. UA's 753 has been an outlier in lower density. Hopefully the net result isn't significantly less comfortable.

DL didn't upgrade to pivot bins in the 757-300, only the -200. Why not, I don't know.
Right, I see this now.

The loss of the lav and significant cut to E+ makes this the worst configuration in the fleet, IMO.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Right, I see this now.
The loss of the lav and significant cut to E+ makes this the worst configuration in the fleet, IMO.
This will rival the 777HD for that honor. Sure, let's add 20 more seats, don't add any extra bin space, and remove a lav. What could possibly go wrong?

Somewhere, SMI/J is happy, because his plan to make the customer experience worse is alive and well.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by sbm12
LOPA (not officially acknowledged by UA, but I believe it likely accurate) here:
https://twitter.com/LAflyr/status/946450479655002112

Lose a galley at 2R, lav at 3L and closet at 4R. Plus 3 exit rows for two windows.

It is not just about a ratio but also the overall demand. Dropping 50 extra Y seats in on those routes hurts yields.
Delta's version has 210 Y, with 5 1/2 rows of C+ (with 34" pitch) and 4 lavs for Y. UA currently has 189 Y, with 61/2 rows of 35" E+, and 4 lavs for Y. I guess UA has a choice here, do they go with 3 lavs and keep more E+ seats, or do they go with a very similar configuration to DL, cutting out one row of E+?

I guess I don't have the same issues with slimming this plane that I do with the 10x on the 777, or other classic UA cheap-outs. My guess is that UA goes with 34" pitch in E+, likely with one less row. Not the end of the world. I would be more concerned about removing a lav, only three for 210 people is not a pleasant thought on a 5+ hour flight to Hawaii, which is where these birds get used a lot.

the big difference is that E+ remains ok on this plane - it will be basically the 737 but with IFE (assuming UA does not pull it...)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
dissapointing this is what the configuration is moving to. Just glad it didn't go back to the 12F we did years ago on the CO side with these birds. (also along the time we reduced the 735 from 10 to 8).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK

Right, I see this now.

i can tell you E+ goes down from 57 to 54, a reduction of 3 only. <inappropriate comment removed by moderator>

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 2, 2018 at 9:27 am Reason: Rule 12

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.