Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to give RPU to charity (or similar) in a UA-approved way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm curious if there's a United-endorsed way for me to give away my RPUs near the end of the year. I'm aware this forum has strict rules about transactions of this kind so I want to be very clear that I want literally nothing in return (not even a tax credit) and I don't want to break any rules that United would consider "gaming the system." I'm thinking something along the lines of anonymously upgrading charity employees or veterans who need to fly on some end of year holiday Xmas/Hanukkah/etc (or something crazy like that). I'm happy to let mine expire like so many 1k folks do these days, I'm just curious if there's something I could do that's (1) "better for the world" and (2) approved by UA.

Mods: I read the forum rules and I currently believe this is an ok topic. If I'm wrong, feel free to delete the thread.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
You'd be taking a risk here. I recall a FTer who "donated" his upgrades to charity, and then had his account closed and miles confiscated when the charity auctioned the upgrades off for a fundraiser. I don't think UA likes that kind of transaction.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
You'd be taking a risk here. I recall a FTer who "donated" his upgrades to charity, and then had his account closed and miles confiscated when the charity auctioned the upgrades off for a fundraiser. .
This is the key, the donation is fine. I have done this (miles for a needy student) BUT it is not fine for the charity to auction off the item or to get any direct monetary benefit.

Since you stay in possession of the upgrade, you can verify how it gets used.

So this can be done without violating the rules but you must stay on top of in.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 2017 at 5:12 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
You'd be taking a risk here. I recall a FTer who "donated" his upgrades to charity, and then had his account closed and miles confiscated when the charity auctioned the upgrades off for a fundraiser. I don't think UA likes that kind of transaction.
That must have been a long time ago, when RPUs (or maybe that was the days of CR1s?) had a pretty good chance of clearing.
Nowadays, with RPU clear rates so dismal, I can only imagine how a good intention could turn so bad. The person who "bid" on the upgrade doesn't understand that the chance of using the RPU is slim, so they want a refund if/when the upgrade doesn't clear... and the snowball starts from there.

But here's the part that strike me as odd... unless things have changed recently, I recall getting emails from UA about donating UA miles (points) to charity. So if donating miles(points) to charity is blessed by UA, why would donating an RPU be against rules/policy? Seems very inconsistent to me...
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA has a specific channel which may be used for donating miles. You may participate in that. But, you may not offer, by way of example, a "free ticket to anywhere in the US" to some local charity of your using which the charity in turn auctions (without UA's permission).
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Phil Level
That must have been a long time ago, when RPUs (or maybe that was the days of CR1s?) had a pretty good chance of clearing.
Nowadays, with RPU clear rates so dismal, I can only imagine how a good intention could turn so bad. The person who "bid" on the upgrade doesn't understand that the chance of using the RPU is slim, so they want a refund if/when the upgrade doesn't clear... and the snowball starts from there.

But here's the part that strike me as odd... unless things have changed recently, I recall getting emails from UA about donating UA miles (points) to charity. So if donating miles(points) to charity is blessed by UA, why would donating an RPU be against rules/policy? Seems very inconsistent to me...
I'm not an accountant, but I've always been skeptical of airline pleas to donate miles or other frequent flier earnings to a worthy cause through them. I'd bet the airline claims the donation against its taxable income, in one way or another. Why should we long suffering frequent fliers be contributing to airline tax breaks?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I'm not an accountant, but I've always been skeptical of airline pleas to donate miles or other frequent flier earnings to a worthy cause through them. I'd bet the airline claims the donation against its taxable income, in one way or another. Why should we long suffering frequent fliers be contributing to airline tax breaks?
On the other hand, how many FF's are reporting the benefits they inure from redeeming awards as income? Maybe not a fair parallel but if you believe the industry at some level competitive then you should look at that tax deduction as a subsidy to your travel at the end of the day. Though the premise that the industry is competitive has been called into doubt in the last few years...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:35 am
Original Poster

It is definitely required, for my personal satisfaction, that the consensus is a "UA-approved" way to give them away. This thread (re)confirms that no such method exists, so I'm not going to do anything with the extras I've got. I want to "play the game" entirely and clearly within UA's rules, I have no interest in pushing the limits whatsoever. Thanks all!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by bruinflyer
It is definitely required, for my personal satisfaction, that the consensus is a "UA-approved" way to give them away. This thread (re)confirms that no such method exists, so I'm not going to do anything with the extras I've got. I want to "play the game" entirely and clearly within UA's rules, I have no interest in pushing the limits whatsoever. Thanks all!
If I'm reading the thread correctly, and thinking about my experience, you *are* allowed to "donate" the RPU to an individual and apply it to their itinerary -- if you can create that connection yourself. Since you'd be in control of the RPU and can verify it gets used for that individual (with no financial transaction -- not even a tax credit).

It makes it harder (you have to create the opportunity itself) but I do think it's still feasible -- unless someone has better info?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.