Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please Read

It is the desire of the FT UA Moderation Team to keep this thread open, as there is still much to be learned. While realizing this incident has some elements that have led to some very active discussion; such as the Congresswoman is local to a major UA hub and familiar to many UA flyers, FT has certain rules for discussion. This forum is focused on travel with UA and there are better places for other types of discussion.

After some discussion among the FT UA Moderators, we wish to clarify what is appropriate and what is not.
Discussion of the actual incident and how it might have happened
Discussion of how UA has handled the event
Discussion if the congresswoman or others forced this to happen
Discussion of UA granting unearned GS status

Not appropriate and better elsewhere
Overly political or racial comments about the congresswoman (or anyone else)
General comments about politicians, government officials unrelated to the actual incident
General ethics discussion concerning corporate/government officials accepting complimentary status

And all the standard FT rules apply including not commenting on other posters and not posting unnecessarily inflammatory, inciting or provocative comments.

Generally, if you are not discussing the incident, good chance you may be Off Topic.

WineCountryUA
on behalf of the UA FT Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
No way that SJL met the spend requirement for GS using GSA City Pairs.
Huh? No way? YCA is about $500 one way between IAH and DCA/IAD. If she does this route every week, that's about $50,000 per year on UA fares, which is about at the line for GS at a hub. She probably does a bit of personal travel on UA and other government travel, which might or might not be on UA depending on who has the contract for the route. [Especially given her tendency to decide on flight times at the last minute, I'm pretty confident that SJL uses YCA rather than HCA or whateverCA fares, which of course are cheaper.]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2017 at 11:41 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? No way? YCA is about $500 one way between IAH and DCA/IAD. If she does this route every week, that's about $50,000 per year on UA fares, which is about at the line for GS at a hub. She probably does a bit of personal travel on UA and other government travel, which might or might not be on UA depending on who has the contract for the route. [Especially given her tendency to decide on flight times at the last minute, I'm pretty confident that SJL uses YCA rather than HCA or whateverCA fares, which of course are cheaper.]
As OP pointed out, there are people in the 2018 GS Qualification thread who are past the $50k spend who are crossing their fingers for GS invitations.

Aside from her political status, and flying between IAH and DCA, she does not fit the GS profile, IMHO. Remember, she is, I am sure, flying only on GSA City Pair fares.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...8TM/edit#gid=0

Last edited by DelrayChris; Dec 28, 2017 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Is there confirmation of GS status?
There's not much confirmation of anything in this thread and yet here we are... 200+ posts in...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by blackllotus
There's not much confirmation of anything in this thread and yet here we are... 200+ posts in...
No real way to find out unless you know a GA or other employee with access who is willing to check on it.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by blackllotus
According to this NBC report, she does have GS status. Question is, did she earn it like everybody else, or has UA been handing it out to politicians as a favor (in which case it is probably not just her).

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...ecause-n832726
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100
According to this NBC report, she does have GS status. Question is, did she earn it like everybody else, or has UA been handing it out to politicians as a favor (in which case it is probably not just her).

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...ecause-n832726
Then you have to wonder of the GS agent, who has more authority than a GA from what we have been told, was the one who orchestrated the bump of the individual traveling on a mileage award.

I imagine if SJL is GS, that she simply calls GS number and says, "I need to get on a flight to IAH and am on my way to the airport," at which point GS agent makes it happen.

Makes you wonder if GS agents use these types of tactics more often.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Then you have to wonder of the GS agent, who has more authority than a GA from what we have been told, was the one who orchestrated the bump of the individual traveling on a mileage award.

I imagine if SJL is GS, that she simply calls GS number and says, "I need to get on a flight to IAH and am on my way to the airport," at which point GS agent makes it happen.

What good is a GS Agent if he/she can't pull strings?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

But the above seems to contradict itself: Hard to believe GS agents are crafty schemers one minute but then so incompetent as to cancel a reservation instead of moving the person to E+ the next.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Two Bee
This type of "string pulling" is completely unethical. I have not had time to read if it potentially violates UA's Contract of Carriage or other terms.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Exactly. So I think there is no way in heck that she "qualified" for it, however, I would not put it past UA to "give it to her" on the "down low" in which case, would cause SJL House ethics issues:

If UA is bumping her into FC on flights when SJL did not warrant the bump (i.e., through upgrade, etc.) this would also cause SJL House ethics issues as the FC seat has monetary value.

Hopefully, investigative journalists are digging in to this given SJL's district and UA's business there.
I certainly am.
JNelson113 and Keyser like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's too bad that apparently no one from FT was on the flight, especially someone who had been watching the upgrade list and seat maps. Some questions would be solved by viewing the upgrade list just as the flight departed. It's unfortunate that the displaced passenger wasn't a FT junkie who would have been obsessed with checking stuff like this--including her own PNR.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:53 am

As OP pointed out, there are people in the 2018 GS Qualification thread who are past the $50k spend who are crossing their fingers for GS invitations.

Aside from her political status, and flying between IAH and DCA, she does not fit the GS profile, IMHO. Remember, she is, I am sure, flying only on GSA City Pair fares.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...8TM/edit#gid=0
Given how frequently she likes to fly and how much value she places on it i'm guessing she uses every possible dime of the to/from the district travel, so on a numbers basis could be pretty close to a GS profile.

That said, Delta has been publicly known to comp out top tier status to politicians as an 'in kind' contribution...

Deal gets perk; Delta does, too
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Tried to link an interesting photo from Twitter, but unsuccessful.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by deniah
She's a D.C. resident. I wouldnt expect her to have interest in or hold recognition of Texas representatives. Allegedly, it was this other congressman who let her in on who the 1A pax is.
Her own account tells us she had high interest. She used this person as evidence that SJL is pulling strings. She somehow found out his general title and used his testimony as evidence, and yet she didn't find out who he was or even who he served? Why fail to obtain or hide that piece of information?

No way that SJL met the spend requirement for GS using GSA City Pairs.
Originally Posted by joe_miami
In the "2018 GS qualification" thread, there are people well over $50,000 PQD who have their "fingers crossed."
I would not expect SJL to be under the same "requirements" as a general customer. It's an invitation program. No doubt she would get invited over a Joe Blow. Wish it wasn't that way, but if I was an airline I'm pretty much forced to if the politician coaxes it. Businesses want to be on good terms with their local elected leaders. I know DL has their buddies. I expect UA, AA, and the rest to have their own too.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Two Bee
This type of "string pulling" is completely unethical. I have not had time to read if it potentially violates UA's Contract of Carriage or other terms.
Exactly this ^ and while I'm not saying strings were pulled but if strings were in fact pulled, United needs to fess up quickly before it gets made public as this will add to this already growing PR nightmare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.