Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please Read

It is the desire of the FT UA Moderation Team to keep this thread open, as there is still much to be learned. While realizing this incident has some elements that have led to some very active discussion; such as the Congresswoman is local to a major UA hub and familiar to many UA flyers, FT has certain rules for discussion. This forum is focused on travel with UA and there are better places for other types of discussion.

After some discussion among the FT UA Moderators, we wish to clarify what is appropriate and what is not.
Discussion of the actual incident and how it might have happened
Discussion of how UA has handled the event
Discussion if the congresswoman or others forced this to happen
Discussion of UA granting unearned GS status

Not appropriate and better elsewhere
Overly political or racial comments about the congresswoman (or anyone else)
General comments about politicians, government officials unrelated to the actual incident
General ethics discussion concerning corporate/government officials accepting complimentary status

And all the standard FT rules apply including not commenting on other posters and not posting unnecessarily inflammatory, inciting or provocative comments.

Generally, if you are not discussing the incident, good chance you may be Off Topic.

WineCountryUA
on behalf of the UA FT Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onlySIA
Passenger's credibility seems dubious. She keeps talking about paying for the flight (I don't think most of us would count points as paying),
Wrong
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Hertz PC
I remember a few years ago on TMZ. They were interviewing some actor/singer leaving LAX and she said her United Host made the impossible happen and got her entire entrouge on a sold out flight to make award show that night.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Passenger's credibility seems dubious. She keeps talking about paying for the flight (I don't think most of us would count points as paying), she claims she didn't receive an apology (then it turns out that she did, but from a "low-level" employee which she doesn't think counts) or $500 (even though in the same sentence she agrees she did get $500), she can somehow recognise Global Services members on sight to know that the Congresswoman boarded before them, and she seems surprised that they thought she might cause problems (even though she says she had complained and "I told a flight attendant that I knew why I had been bumped").

Don't get me wrong, I would be annoyed too, but it seems there is a perfectly plausible explanation (i.e. that the poor design of the app resulted in her reservation getting cancelled by mistake). The fact that she is adamant that foul play is afoot (with no corroborating evidence, just the allegations of a Republican Congressman) and is bringing up completely irrelevant, but highly emotive, information (servicemen and children boarded after the Congresswoman!!!) makes me sceptical that she has given an objective account of events.

Having seen the photo of the so-called first class seat I have to say I would be pretty disappointed if I had forked out that many miles!
This. The whole situation gives the appearance that she was booted out of first to make way for a congress-critter. United offered a perfectly plausible explanation for what happened. Although one can question United's credibility w.r.t. it denying special treatment to political figures (Chairman's flight anyone?). When offered compensation, she made a counter offer (would have as well). Eventually United hit her bid ($500 voucher, not sure the time line).

From her FB page, she actively shopped the story around. WaPo decided to take a pass on it. Her words from FB.

As a United customer for a decade (Gold Elite) and a reader of the Washington Post for 20 years, I never thought I'd be posting this: the WP killed the story because they thought it was "too much ambiguity about exactly what happened," despite the fact that I sent them copies of my boarding pass, my original receipt, my letter to United CEO Óscar Muñoz, and the photo of Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee. So they got suckered by Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) and the absurd claim that a passenger headed for home in DC would cancel the second segment of her flight. Moreover, as the WP was killing the story, I received three voicemails from United customer service, with "apologies" for what happened and asking me to get in touch with them.
I think WaPo nailed it. Too much ambiguity. Did United evict her from FC for a congress-critter, probably but I don't know for certain.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by n9536j
So how does United give GS status to house menbers? They are prohibited from accepting anything of value above 25$ and GS (and 1k)is above that by virtue of the free drink coupons alone.
Same way they give the GS status to decision makers at companies that still have ethics policies against accepting these gifts.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:51 am

This is pretty pathetic. UA can easily go in to their back end systems and see what actually happened. Hopefully, someone with access will leak the logs and other information.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2017 at 11:44 am Reason: OMNI content removed
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...(I don't think most of us would count points as paying)...
Then, later in the same post:

Having seen the photo of the so-called first class seat I have to say I would be pretty disappointed if I had forked out that many miles!
If points aren't "paying", then why would "forking out that many miles" for a substandard seat disappoint you?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

The thread topic is a passenger believing they were inappropriately removed from a flight and then provided an E+ seat instead of their booked first class award seat. And the passenger's believe this was so UA could curry favor with a US congresswoman.

Some recent folks have gone into topics much outside the scope of the UA forum and into OMNI territory-- so in a desire to keep this thread open in the UA forum, the OMNI / political / non-UA related content has been removed.

Let's focus on the thread topic. If you wish to discuss those other issues, you are welcome to have that discussion in one of the OMNI forums.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My two cents--

I had a long conversation with United yesterday and published a follow-up post today on my blog.

UPDATE: United Insists It Did NOT Boot Woman From First Class for Congresswoman

United shared with me screenshots from SHARES and walked me through where SHARES indicates the reservation was cancelled via the mobile app. Obviously, that involved translation of coding by UA that I will have to take their word on, but it seems 100% clear to me that United (corporate) did not sanction this. I do believe it could have been a gate agent or GS agent, but that's merely speculation...

I'm sorry I cannot publish pictures from SHARES. I'd love to have all of us dissect it.

In my many years of flying United and many irr/ops conditions, I've never cancelled or come to accidentally cancelling a reservation. Can someone, perhaps someone who is experiencing irr/ops today, walk me through on the app how one can inadvertently cancel the remaining segment on a reservation, at least without rebooking another segment? How does the record totally disappear?

And yes, if you read the post you'll see several follow-up questions to United including the question someone asked above about scanning in at the club.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
In my many years of flying United and many irr/ops conditions, I've never cancelled or come to accidentally cancelling a reservation. Can someone, perhaps someone who is experiencing irr/ops today, walk me through on the app how one can inadvertently cancel the remaining segment on a reservation, at least without rebooking another segment? How does the record totally disappear?
During IRROPS, an option appears in the app to cancel the remaining segment(s). I always figured it was distance-limited — e.g., makes sense one might want to cancel LGA-ALB and drive, but it's hard to believe someone en route from Guatemala to D.C. would want to cancel while a thousand miles from home — but perhaps not. Perhaps these sorts of "cancellations" aren't true cancellations, but, rather, a way for pax to simply offload themselves from a delayed flight until they can see an agent and get things sorted out. A lot of the usual rules seem to go out the window during IRROPS, so it's not like UA is going to leave someone a thousand miles from home because they clicked the wrong button in the app.

Regardless of all of the above, just last week I had my record disappear entirely from the UA app during IRROPS. I flew POP-EWR, then my connecting flight was delayed for a couple of hours. The app kept me posted, but then, around the time the flight was originally supposed to depart, the whole record disappeared from the app. I manually reentered it and my printed boarding pass still worked, but I did get extra screening when entering the A gates after hitting the lounges in B; not sure if that was just random or because of the record glitch.

The SJL incident seems much more likely to be a case of user error and/or poor IT than a case of someone at UA deciding to screw over this passenger.

--

[Moderator edit]
rufflesinc and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 27, 2017 at 12:33 pm Reason: To edit content commenting on moderation not allowed by FT Rules.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My two cents--

I had a long conversation with United yesterday and published a follow-up post today on my blog.

UPDATE: United Insists It Did NOT Boot Woman From First Class for Congresswoman
Just read the blog post and saw the follow-ups you sent to UA. The first question doesn't seem to make any sense:

1. When she cancelled her segment, did she rebook herself on another segment?
Definitionally, a rebooking wouldn't be considered a "cancellation," would it?

Did the app offer her another option? In my experience using the app, it won’t just allow a cancellation but will offer an alternate option.
As mentioned by several people above, the above is incorrect.

As for question #4 :

4. Is there any time-stamp of her entering the United Club where she claims she spent her layover? If so, it is assumedly before her final flight was canceled?
The woman claims to be UA Gold, doesn't she? If so, it wouldn't matter if the connecting flight had been canceled. She would have had arrival access to the UC as a *A Gold traveling on an international flight that day.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Without seeing the screenshots (sans PII or corporate secrets), I don't really believe UA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2017 at 3:35 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Do Reps or govt people get the credit for the miles? If she it's 2300 miles round trip. Flying home most weekends and a few overseas flights and she is 1K, though I doubt GS.

Was she upgraded?
I believe they get to earn and keep their miles. I know a U.S.Senator that had two million skymiles.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Without seeing the screenshots (sans PII or corporate secrets), I don't really believe UA.
i would be inclined to believe UA if not for their past track record of catering to powerful politicians.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, UA Lifetime GS, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Five-Star Pres Circle
No doubt at all that a congress critter, known for being horrible to her staff and the public bullied her way into that FC seat. None. At. All.

That being said, I honestly do not believe United. They lied to me and told me my flight was cancelled as I saw it push off the
gate and take off. I stood patiently while the gate agent told me it was cancelled. Sorry, babe, but I saw you load the entire flight.
I called a Continental person I knew and was placed on the next flight. Surprised they didn't try to tell me that one was cancelled.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, UA Lifetime GS, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Five-Star Pres Circle
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Fox News is saying the Congresswoman had something to do with this. No evidence of that. Now that is Fake News.
Unless you have lived in Houston and know SJL's bad reputation, you don't have much room to say that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.