Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please Read

It is the desire of the FT UA Moderation Team to keep this thread open, as there is still much to be learned. While realizing this incident has some elements that have led to some very active discussion; such as the Congresswoman is local to a major UA hub and familiar to many UA flyers, FT has certain rules for discussion. This forum is focused on travel with UA and there are better places for other types of discussion.

After some discussion among the FT UA Moderators, we wish to clarify what is appropriate and what is not.
Discussion of the actual incident and how it might have happened
Discussion of how UA has handled the event
Discussion if the congresswoman or others forced this to happen
Discussion of UA granting unearned GS status

Not appropriate and better elsewhere
Overly political or racial comments about the congresswoman (or anyone else)
General comments about politicians, government officials unrelated to the actual incident
General ethics discussion concerning corporate/government officials accepting complimentary status

And all the standard FT rules apply including not commenting on other posters and not posting unnecessarily inflammatory, inciting or provocative comments.

Generally, if you are not discussing the incident, good chance you may be Off Topic.

WineCountryUA
on behalf of the UA FT Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

She was not auto-upgraded. United claims Jackson Lee was upgraded according to the automatic/normal upgrade order, not due to her congressional credentials.
Which would indicate she is GS. That is also indicated by the passenger’s story, with her boarding before Group 1. Did she earn that? Or does UA give it to politicians? That is something it would be interesting to know.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I think most of you people have got this all wrong. Not only does United not have to go overboard in accommodating Sheila Jackson Lee, but it could probably undo all of the Dr. Dao damage and more if it announced it was banning her from its planes for being the obnoxious cretin she's long been known to be. Half of her own party can't stand her, and she's in the minority anyway, both in the House and in her home state.
iluv2fly, SFO777, 747FC and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I hope she files a DOT complaint. I can't imagine something that Elaine Chao would rather ensure was handled throughly than a complaint involving Rep. Lee...
iluv2fly and Two Bee like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by greg99
I hope she files a DOT complaint. I can't imagine something that Elaine Chao would rather ensure was handled throughly than a complaint involving Rep. Lee...
I take a back seat to no one in my dislike of Sheila Jackson Lee, but the fact pattern here suggests the passenger accidentally canceled her last segment or rebooked herself. If this was a GA engaging in shenanigans, he would have dumped the lady back to E+. It makes no sense that the GA would have canceled the ticket in its entirety, when he knew the passenger was going to be his problem as soon as she showed up.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I take a back seat to no one in my dislike of Sheila Jackson Lee, but the fact pattern here suggests the passenger accidentally canceled her last segment or rebooked herself. If this was a GA engaging in shenanigans, he would have dumped the lady back to E+. It makes no sense that the GA would have canceled the ticket in its entirety, when he knew the passenger was going to be his problem as soon as she showed up.
That may, in fact, be the case. We don't *know* that it's the case, though.

Many of us have had seats pulled out from under us by UA (and other carriers). I haven't seen anyone involved in this threat admit to having canceled their flight accidentally while looking at flight alternatives. Doesn't mean it doesn't/can't happen, but my Occam's Razor hunch points me towards an airline with a fondness for bumping people out of seats on behalf of a favored politico, given their multiple apologies and $500 voucher.

The Department of Transportation ought to look into it. There are processes and procedures for that to take place. UA has the ability to demonstrate that their story was actually what happened.

That the Secretary of Transportation might be pleased to know that this particular investigation would be handled thoroughly is just a side remark.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Have you ever used the United app during IRROPS? It's easy to change an itinerary accidentally, or at least begin a change and leave the reservation in limbo.

There's no way this was some sort of conspiracy within United to shaft a ticketed passenger. At worst, it was a rogue GA, and if that's the case, United is assuredly investigating already.

The $500 voucher means nothing. Airlines pass them out all the time as a p.r. move, even when the pax was wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:44 pm

Have you ever used the United app during IRROPS? It's easy to change an itinerary accidentally, or at least begin a change and leave the reservation in limbo.

There's no way this was some sort of conspiracy within United to shaft a ticketed passenger. At worst, it was a rogue GA, and if that's the case, United is assuredly investigating already.
I have. Numerous times. Never once accidentally canceled my flight. I'm sure it's possible, though - stranger things are happening.

That said, I've also seen very experienced UA agents completely foul up a PNR.

I don't think the GA had anything to do with it, but I do I think it's entirely possible that some GS concierge, in (i) trying to figure out what was happening with the loads on the flight, to (ii) fix a problem with a known difficult VVIP, (iii) looked at the person in the F cabin traveling on an MP ticket and (apparently) no status, and (iv) deliberately or accidentally canceled out her record. They have authority to do things that GA's would get fired for, and in this context, it might actually have been the commercially advisable thing to do, but for the fact original pax decided not to play ball and went public.

I'll leave it to you to decide which scenario is more plausible.

Candidly, I don't trust UA to tell the truth on this one. They're going to throw SJL under the bus and say that she got a perk she shouldn't have received? No freaking way. UA would much rather take the PR hit.

That's why the DOT ought to look into it.
wrp96, Two Bee and Cotumely like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I suppose it's possible that an agent - perhaps a GS agent - tried to downgrade the passenger and mucked up the PNR and left the passenger without a reservation on the flight instead of in E+, only to be discovered at the gate, and the GA may have only seen when the reservation was cancelled and been incorrect about how it was cancelled.

United certainly has the prerogative to force people back to E+ if they want, and there's a contractual remedy available to them should they choose to do so.

I also wouldn't assume the $500 voucher means anything - even if PAX accidentally cancelled their ticket, when it was reinstated, it was indeed a paid F ticket, and if the PAX ends up in E+ instead they are due downgrade compensation, and $500 sounds about right on an international ticket (even if not an international flight).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:12 pm

I think most of you people have got this all wrong. Not only does United not have to go overboard in accommodating Sheila Jackson Lee, but it could probably undo all of the Dr. Dao damage and more if it announced it was banning her from its planes for being the obnoxious cretin she's long been known to be. Half of her own party can't stand her, and she's in the minority anyway, both in the House and in her home state.
More nonsense.

is this stuff tounge in cheek or am I just that alarmed over some of these sentiments...
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
The biggest question in all this to me - does UA really auto-upgrade within 90 minutes of departure? The company line is that the passenger canceled her flight at T-80 (or it was "canceled by united.com") and then the system upgraded the first person on the list. At AA, starting ~four hours before the flight, nothing clears until T-30 by the GA - I would have thought UA was the same.

​​​​

I don't think the system does automatic upgrades within 90 minutes, but an agent can certainly process the upgrade list.

And you could have situations where someone with an F seat on a different flight (even an upgraded one) convinces an agent to move them to open inventory on another flight. (Been there, done that.)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Here's another question: if the passenger in question had not accidentally cancelled her reservation thereby freeing up seat 1A, what would they have done with the cranky VIP passenger? Left her in economy and dealt with a hissy fit? Downgraded someone else?
greg99 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I wonder if the congresswoman sometimes doesn't get upgraded (ie, UA always ensures that she sits in F).
I don't know if that is "knowable", but it would really be interesting.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Here's another question: if the passenger in question had not accidentally cancelled her reservation thereby freeing up seat 1A, what would they have done with the cranky VIP passenger? Left her in economy and dealt with a hissy fit? Downgraded someone else?
The passenger in question didn't accidentally cancel anything. Hence the downgrade comp. UAL did what they needed to do.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 26, 2017 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by denver19
I don't know if that is "knowable", but it would really be interesting.
It's absolutely "knowable" but we won't know it.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Given SJL's past behavior on United, that's the part that's hard to believe. We also have the other congressperson sitting with the original pax who told her that he's seen SJL bump people out of first class three times. Maybe it's true, but I find it quite fishy.
I read the same thing as well.
If SJL is a difficult passenger, then UA should put her on a watch list and have a supervisor check her reservations and make sure she gets no special treatment. I hardly consider a congress person that makes less than $200K per year to be a special celeb. I doubt she is Global Services.

We seen similar on AA forum. Retired football player takes F seat and an upgraded Concierge Key member gets the boot to Y.

Last edited by cova; Dec 26, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:00 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by denver19
The passenger in question didn't accidentally cancel anything. Hence the downgrade comp. UAL did what they needed to do.
100% correct. Not easy to cancel and rebook it was a FF miles seat especially using the APP. Rewards seats are the lowest on the totem pole when it comes to invol downgrades. They gave her the 500 miles which was by their rule book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.