Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Making Lemonade Out of Lemons (How I made lifetime GS)

Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

In 2013, when United announced their Minimum Spend Requirements, many loyal United Frequent Flyers became Free Agents. No longer wedded to United, they went to other programs or simply purchased tickets from whatever airline provided the best pricing, routing, schedule, etc. While they Zigged, I took the opposite route and Zagged.

My history was that I usually made 1k with a minimum of spend (usually at $.05 a mile) or around $5-6,000/year with 90% domestic travel. Some years, I would take an occasional Mileage Run or two at the end of the year to reach 100,000 mileage threshold. However, with the new $10k (then $12k) spending threshold, I realize that my historic flying/spending model was not going to work. I analyzed the situation and came up with following options.

1 – Become a Free Agent and simply fly other airlines, with no allegiance to any program.
2 – Shift/Consolidate my flying on Delta. I was also Delta Platinum for the years 2009-2014.
3 – Switch allegiance to another carrier (i.e. American, Alaska, Virgin America). American looked appealing since they still awarded miles on what you flew, not what you spent.
4 – Drop down from 1k status to Platinum status (Spent >$25k on Chase Explorer card).
5 – Deliberately spend more per ticket (i.e. $.05/mile to $.12/mile) to reach the spending threshold
6 - Dramatically increase the # of miles flown (at $.05/mile) to reach the spending threshold

With about 2.5 million lifetime miles with United and living near San Francisco, I decided not to change carriers (eliminate Option 3). Being cheap, I couldn’t fathom the thought of over spending on tickets (eliminate Option 5). In 2013, 1k status retained some upgrade chances, so dropping down to Platinum status was unappealing (eliminate Option 4).

Although I was also a Delta Platinum, this was due to a temporary bump in business travel to the Southeast during 2009-2011. I was using MQM roll over and other non flight promotions to maintain Platinum status. While I thought Delta provided a slightly better overall in flight (including upgrades) product, it didn’t make long term sense for me to try to reach Delta Lifetime Mileage status. I would be starting out at a low lifetime base and their program tops out at 4 million miles (and only at Platinum). Eliminate Option 2.

This left only Option 1 (the most logical and rationale) or Option 6.

Of course, I chose option 6 and would work toward taking advantage of the lifetime mileage “loophole” and try to reach the permanent 1k status at 3 million miles. And once I reached 3 million miles, I can shift to Option 1, being a free agent, while still retaining 1k status.

United would still get my money, but at the same rate of $.05-.06/mile. Thus, instead of taking an occasional mileage run or two at the end of the year, I stated to actively seek out mileage runs that would provide the best value (i.e. <$.05/mile). My yearly miles on United equipment went from 100k/year to 250-300k/year. I also had a sense of urgency, as United could easily devalue the lifetime mileage at any time (there was a rumor a couple of years ago that United would drop down a level for each million mile threshold). I also remembered when United discontinuing the 2 million benefit of Lifetime United Club membership. When United announced dropping the Lifetime United Club membership @ 2 million miles I was going to fall about 45k miles short. I wrote in to United and, fortunately, was granted Lifetime UC membership, so I knew first hand, how lucky I was and how that things change.

In 2015, I broke through the 3 million barrier and breathed a sigh of relief, lifetime 1k status. I thought about dropping my travel/spend back to normal. However, the effective degradation of 1k status (i.e. lower chances of an upgrade) was in full progress, (i.e. aggressive TOD upgrades). So I decided to go for the 4 million mile, Global Service threshold, and continued to seek out Mileage run opportunities.

This week I finally reach 4 million miles and Lifetime Global Services status. For the past several years, as a 1k, traveling at a low fare classes (K or G), upgrades were sparse. Basically, I viewed myself as a Platinum on with high fare class. If I wasn’t upgraded before the day of the flight, I knew that I will be sitting in Coach.

While I have no illusions that being Global Services will change my life, I am looking forward to

- Getting notifications a few days before my flight that I have been upgraded (I haven’t seen many of those lately)
- Being able to use the San Francisco Global Services lobby to bypass the (sometimes long) Pre Check lines
- Looking for PN (Positively Nice) availability instead of R (Rare) availability for international and PS/Cross Country flights
- The ability to board early (avoid standing in line, so I usually board at the very end of Group 1)
- My first Mercedes Benz transfer
- Getting Complimentary upgraded on SFO-Hawaii flights, using saver awards tickets (once commonplace as a 1k, now, not so much)
- Avoiding seeing my upgrade standing drop like a stone as the flight time approaches (from 2nd to 4th, to 8th, to 15th, to 22nd)
- Upgrading, via GPU’s from a saver economy award tickets to Business (an incredible benefit).
- Getting a little better treatment (note - I always felt I was treated well as a 1k)
- Not worrying that United will arbitrarily discontinue the Lifetime mileage threshold (assuming they grandfathered those who are already in)
- Flying other Star Alliance partners (better fares/schedule) since I no longer have to concentrate my flying only on United metal

Basically, I have become the anti Bob Uecker. Paying for the cheap seats, but being allowed to sit in the front rows.

Looking back, I realize that this was a classic example of making lemonade out of lemons. Taking lemons (the imposition of minimum spending) and turning it into lemonade (achieving Global Services 10+ years sooner). In a way, I should thank United for imposing the spending threshold and not waiving the credit card spending waiver for 1k status. Without both of these changes, I would have stayed at my historic level of 100,000 miles/year. And although I would have reach the 3 million miles (Lifetime 1k) at the end of 2018, it would have been a pyrrhic victory. For the next 10+ years, while I would have 1k status, I would still be looking at low % of upgrades. Now I can enjoy Global Service status 10 years ahead of time. Of course, United could start implementing changes to degrade Global Services status, but that is another/different story.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
How much did all those MRs cost you and how many upgrades could you have purchased with that money?

For the record, I reached 1MM on UA about the same time they introduced the PQD program; I was multi year 1K with very limited MR travel. Everything self-funded. I chose a mix of options 1 and 3 - some allegiance to AS but willing to buy elsewhere if beneficial to me (also needed given AS route network). Fairly satisfied with my choice.
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our new management has decided we are spending too much time/money travelling so things will be drastically cut next year. I am at 1.4MM so, as much as I like being 1K, there is no way I would get to 3 MM...and it is kind of crazy whether I fly 0 mile or 74,999 miles, I get the same thing.

If I were younger, I might find another job but I can't see myself doing that just for airline status. So, I am preparing for 1K Withdrawal Syndrome The lemonade will be the benefits of not travelling
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm glad you went for lifetime GS. To me the lifetime status has two worthwhile tiers, 1MM for Gold and 4MM for GS.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How much did all those MRs cost you and how many upgrades could you have purchased with that money?

For the record, I reached 1MM on UA about the same time they introduced the PQD program; I was multi year 1K with very limited MR travel. Everything self-funded. I chose a mix of options 1 and 3 - some allegiance to AS but willing to buy elsewhere if beneficial to me (also needed given AS route network). Fairly satisfied with my choice.
I would guess that the extra MR's over the past 5 years cost an additional $45k or $9k a year. If I had applied the MR money for upgrades, i would have been able to upgrade about 50% of my domestic flights. The one drawback, is that I used SDC about 33% of the time, which would have negated some of the ugrades, with United selling out First many of their flights (F0, P0).

While I have not priced discounted P fares, a sample SFO-ORD runs at $.20/mile, Assuming that as a GS, I receive CPU's at a 50% rate flying 100,000 miles = 50,000 miles upgraded. As a 1k on G, K fares ($.05/mile), flying to/from SFO, my upgrade rate was closer to 10%,. Thus being a GS is worth $6,000/year (40,000 miles * $.15/mile ($.20/mile - $.05/mile)). Since I achieved GS 10 years "earlier", the value is about $60k.

However, the #1 value is that I have over 2 million miles, which I can now use GPU's to upgrade International Saver awards (PN class). I realize that, as a general rule, buiiding miles is not a smart strategy, but there are some exceptions.. If you add this benefit, it adds another couple of thousands of dollars.

In addition, the ability to use GPU's (PN vs R) is another benefit. While I have been successful at playing the W upgrade lottery, it hasn't always worked out. Now use the PN bucket and getting higher priority GS>1k, there is some $ value of being a GS.

Finally, I also had a sense of urgency. United Lifetime Million Mile program is an obvious outlier. The highest Lifetime Status level you can achieve with American and Delta is Platinum (2 tiers lower). My guess is that there is a 65% chance that the Lifetime program will modify (downgrade) within the next 10 years.
ContinentalFan and not2017 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
What were some of your favorite routes / trips? Low cost but you got lots of miles and we’re able to visit somewhere interesting?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Good post PBAudit and congrats on lifetime GS. And there's food for thought there.

I've just looked at some cheap MR options for Jan/Feb/March, 4cpm for PDX-AUA to net 10,000+ PQMs (and BIS) for a long weekend is one example. Work related travel should pick up next year but your recommendations are sound. Thanks.
ContinentalFan and pfpdx like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:00 am

So you averaged between 333k and 500k miles per year since 2015 in order to achieve 4 million miles. How many weeks out of the year were you traveling?
adambadam likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by PBAudit

This week I finally reach 4 million miles and Lifetime Global Services status.
Congratulations! That is an achievement! Hope you enjoy GS benefits. Be modest in your expectations, though, things like the Mercedes transfer are seemingly random, but nice when it happens.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: 3 MMer
4 more weeks to 3 MM's, but then what?

Just got home from Illinois,
Lock the front door, oh, boy!
Got to sit down,
Take a rest on the porch.
Imagination sets in,
Pretty soon I'm singin'.
Doo, doo, doo,
Lookin' out my back door. (CCR aka John Fogerty)
iluv2fly, Xyzzy and not2017 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by getagb
What were some of your favorite routes / trips? Low cost but you got lots of miles and we’re able to visit somewhere interesting?
During the past 5 years, I spent time (2-4 days) whenever I was on a "Mileage Run" to a new city or a city that I haven't been to in a long time. Some of the more memorable routes/trips included;
LAX-BAH - $750 RT fares, for 19,000 miles. Took several trips. On a couple of trips, stopped over in Baharain and Kuwait.
SFO-HKG - In 2017, took 4 $1000 RT (W fares that I was able to upgrade). Took 2 RT for $600 RT. Usually spend a couple days in HKG.

Other "Mileage Run" trips (spent 2-3 days at site) with low fares included, PEK, HGH, TPE, PVG, HND, KUL, SYD, IST (*), MEX, BEY, SOF, DUB, MNL, ICN, CAI, NAP (**), LIS (**), FCO (**), CPH, CDG, LHR, VIE, LIM/CUZ (Machu Picchu). While I enjoyed all the trips, Machu Picchu has to be one the most memorable.

(*) In addition to visiting IST, on other trips took inexpresive Turkish Air to other cities (Antalya, Ankara, Kayseri).
(**) In 2014, United offered $1500 Business Class fares from SJC to Europe.

Domestic Mileage Runs. I was fortunate that many of the Domestic Mileage Runs, also coincided with my Business Travel. For the most part, I was opportunisitc and agnostic on the domestic Mileage runs. I would find most on Flyertalk Mileage Run. Some of the more memorable Mileage Runs where I booked/took several trips included;

SFO/IAH/PDX - 2014 this priced out <$200 RT, provided 7,000 miles.
SFO/DTW -. 2016/2017, this priced out <$200, provide 5,000 miles.
SFO/FLL - priced out <$250, provided 7,000 miles (via EWR or IAD)
SFO/ORD - priced out <$120, provided 3,700 miles
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Miggles
So you averaged between 333k and 500k miles per year since 2015 in order to achieve 4 million miles. How many weeks out of the year were you traveling?
Here is the Miles I accrued over the past 5 years;
2013 - 150k
2014 - 330k
2015 - 250k
2016 - 350k
2017 - 450k

This year, I would do a MR on any spare weekend with a reasonable fare. In 2017, this was about 30 weekends. If it was an international MR trip, I would leave on Friday/Saturday and return Sunday/Monday. If I planned on spending a couple of days at the destination, i would leave Thursday and return Monday/Tuesday. If it was a domestic MR trip, i would usually leave Friday or Saturday night (red eye) and return the next day.
tuolumne and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aside from the time requirements (30 weekends per year would likely be challenging for many people with families), there's also the opportunity cost to be considered. If someone spends $50K over a year or two on MR's (1M miles at .05 CPM), that's money that could have been invested and earning significant dollars over their lifetime. Unless someone is already wealthy enough to consider $50K pocket change, I'm having difficulty seeing this as a wise "investment".
IAHtraveler and notquiteaff like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 17, 2017 at 7:53 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Congrats on the GS status!

I am not sure it is a viable strategy for most, and I am always concerned when anyone relies on anything "lifetime" with United - They have carte blanche to change at any time.

But if you enjoy the travel, and the MRs became a hobby, there is nothing wrong with that at all. I travel a bunch and enjoy each trip. But at 1.1M lifetime, 4M is just a blur on the far-distant horizon.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Congrats OP for your farsighted planning. It's an opportunity cost that I would not have considered paying myself, but I admire your energy to have accomplished it, not to mention all the perks that you get to enjoy from now on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.