Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Making Lemonade Out of Lemons (How I made lifetime GS)

Making Lemonade Out of Lemons (How I made lifetime GS)

Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LBJ
Aside from the time requirements (30 weekends per year would likely be challenging for many people with families), there's also the opportunity cost to be considered. If someone spends $50K over a year or two on MR's (1M miles at .05 CPM), that's money that could have been invested and earning significant dollars over their lifetime. Unless someone is already wealthy enough to consider $50K pocket change, I'm having difficulty seeing this as a wise "investment".
I agree spending $50k on MR is a terrible investment versus investing the money (the $45k - $50k is actually over a 5 year span). I am fortunate that I have the money, time and flexibility to embark on this endeavor. When I first started on this plan, I thought this may fizzle out quickly, as there were 2 major barriers I had to overcome. One physical and one psychological.

The physical issue was the "wear and tear" of more flying. Since most of the MR were over weekends (a Trip to Nowhere), I was concerned that this would take a toll during the week. Also, I had actively avoided taking domestic red eyes. It turned out I was OK with the additional travel.

The psychological issue was the most difficult. As a "saver", the act of "wasting money" on unnecessary MR trips was an anathema. I was able to convince myself that spending a few hundred dollars on an end of year on a Mileage Run or two made sense as it would give me 1k status and 6 GPU's (which, at that time, you could easily apply). However, spending thousands of dollars a year was a Rubicon that I wasn't sure I could cross.

I rationalize the additional spending by comparing this to a "Hobby". Hobby example #1 - Golf. We wouldn't give it a second thought if someone told us they were an avid golfer, who spend 30-40 weekends playing golf. If playing a couple rounds a weekend would cost easily add up to $150-$250 (green fees, food, drinks). This would add up to $5k-$10k a year in "unnecessry" spending. Of course spending $250 a weekend on golf seems normal, but spending $250 a weekend on travel (mileage run), seems unnatural.

The second, and better analogy is obtaining Baseball season tickets. Again attending 2-3 games one can easily spend $200-$400/weekend (tickets, parking, food, drinks). With 14-15 weekend dates, this will add up to $4,000 or more. Throw in a couple of trips to see your team on the road, you get up to $5-6k a year.

The reason why this is a better analogy is that at the end of this 5 year endeavor, whenever I attend future games, I will be able to pay for "bleacher" tickets with a good possibility (probability) of moving to seats behind Home Plate.

By looking at my actions as a "hobby" (i.e. travel), I could get more easily get my "mind around this". And as a general rule, most hobbies would be considered terrible investments.

Last edited by PBAudit; Dec 17, 2017 at 10:22 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
OP, I am glad to see you didn’t just have pure MRs, but rather turned them into mini vacations. That is what I usually did when I did selective MRs. (it did drive up my cost - an occasional Hotel night, transportation into a city), but the greater cost factor for me was the time I was spending.

Thanks for starting this thread.
getagb and Two Bee like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Congrats on the GS status!

I am not sure it is a viable strategy for most, and I am always concerned when anyone relies on anything "lifetime" with United - They have carte blanche to change at any time.

But if you enjoy the travel, and the MRs became a hobby, there is nothing wrong with that at all. I travel a bunch and enjoy each trip. But at 1.1M lifetime, 4M is just a blur on the far-distant horizon.
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Congrats OP for your farsighted planning. It's an opportunity cost that I would not have considered paying myself, but I admire your energy to have accomplished it, not to mention all the perks that you get to enjoy from now on.
Thanks. I agree that there is always a risk of downgrading/changing of Lifetime status. The only solace is that 1) it makes sense that United has extraordinary perks for those who spend the most (Global Service) and 2) that there are only a few of us 4 million milers that we "fly under the radar".

When the mileage earnings changed in 2013, I was at 2.5 million miles and to me, 4 million miles (Global Services) was just a mirage. It was more fear than farsighted planning that made me act. My only goal was to get to 3 million mile status before United downgrades their Lifetime Million Mile program. Achieving Lifetime 1k status and 6 GPU's would be a great perk when I eventually retire.

Once I got to 3 million, I thought why not go for 4 million, especially with the effective degradation of 1k mileage benefits (i.e. lower upgrade chances). I knew that I could have the "rug pulled out" over the past 2.5 years, but thought it was worth the try. I breathed a hugh sigh of relief when I took my last trip this year.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by PBAudit

By looking at my actions as a "hobby" (i.e. travel), I could get more easily get my "mind around this". And as a general rule, most hobbies would be considered terrible investments.
I too fly for a hobby, and a higher status makes it much easier and more fun.

I really don't feel that I need to explain to ANYONE how I spend my money, and what I spend it for, even my kids. I earned it and I'll spend it as I see fit, without spinning it as a bad investment. Sure beats sitting in a bar every day investing in ------
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Here is the Miles I accrued over the past 5 years;
2013 - 150k
2014 - 330k
2015 - 250k
2016 - 350k
2017 - 450k
These are serious numbers to accomplish mostly on 30 weekends especially if you also fly non-upgradable fare to international destinations.

I fly about 400K BIS for work each year on *A airlines and United, and It has been a challenge to it within 52 weeks to accommodate personal obligations at home and my social circle.
Miggles and Two Bee like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thanks to OP for sharing a thoughtful, and thought provoking story.

I agree that unless one makes investing a hobby, financial returns on one's avocation should not be expected.

I've found that my body can tolerate long-haul flights every two to three weeks with no health effects. More frequent travel, and I feel the worse for wear. Fortunately, my work allows this flexibility, but it means that I'll never get over 200,000 PQM per year, depending on how many of these flights are on P fares versus W for international or K or G for N. America. I'll be reaching Million miler status at the very end of this month, somewhere between HNL and SFO. I don't think I'll even make it to 2 million, but I'll try to stay 1K through PQM until they either devalue the GPUs or my retirement arrives in 10 - 15 years.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

These are serious numbers to accomplish mostly on 30 weekends especially if you also fly non-upgradable fare to international destinations.

I fly about 400K BIS for work each year on *A airlines and United, and It has been a challenge to it within 52 weeks to accommodate personal obligations at home and my social circle.
The Mileage Runs weekends were in addition to my normal business travel during the year (80-100k). From 2013-2017, I took 10-15 weekend mileage runs. And my original plan was to fly about 250k in 2017 and 250k in 2018. But as I got closer to the prize, I became paranoid that United would announce the devaluation of the Lifetime program, effective 2018.

When GS status was a far off dream, the possible Lifetime Program changes wasn't much of a concern. But since 4 million was within striking distance, I devised a plan to make this year and a grueling last 4 months, Thus this year, I completed around 30 weekend MR's.
ContinentalFan and Two Bee like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Impressed as well. I moved from 50K a year to 100K when they devalued Gold earnings. Now averaging 100K barely a year. Considered moving up to 125-150K, but any more becomes difficult with work/life/happy wife balances. Will hit 1MM next year, and should be able to target 2MM in 2026. But man, that's far away, so 3MM and lifetime 1K/GS seem well out of reach for me.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Very impressive! I did 115k BIS miles and 91 segments this year (100% domestic), and I’m feeling beat up by it. I can’t even imagine what you’re feeling! Locking in those GS benefits for life sure is nice though!

I’ll cross the million-miler threshold in about a year and hope like hell I’m done flying like this before 2mm is anywhere near a thought. I don’t want to do this forever, but for now, it’s what pays my bills.

Feeling way too close to a Harry Chapin song as I’m away so often.

Hoping this is the year I don’t make 1K again, except by a crazy mileage run in december. Making it organically, domestically, sucks. I don’t envy your current lifestyle, but I wouldn’t say no to GS status either :-)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Very impressive! I did 115k BIS miles and 91 segments this year (100% domestic), and I’m feeling beat up by it. I can’t even imagine what you’re feeling! Locking in those GS benefits for life sure is nice though!:-)
I agree with you 100%. I am spending practically as much times at doctors offices as I am flying, it seems. Swollen feet, back pain, butt pain, to name just a few go wrongs. Several years ago I did over 300K-2 years straight, mostly LAS-BKK, with no problems. I am really wearing down, lately, but I am going to get to 3 MM if it kills me!

I have to hand it to the OP --- U-Da-Man!!! ^

My 2017 rap-sheet---YTD Premier qualifying miles:219,394YTD Premier qualifying segments:162Lifetime flight miles:2,989,134
ContinentalFan and dmurphynj like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I think it's awesome and congratulations! I'm at 2.1MM and if I didn't have a young child at home I'd be mile running 1-2 times a month to Asia to build toward LT 1K status at 3MM. I pay for all my own travel and although I easily hit 100K a year I only pay around $6K for that, so haven't been 1K for the last few years because of the spend. Love that you made it to LT GS the cheap way.
ContinentalFan and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Congratulations!! LT GS is amazing. I actually think of this as an amazing investment for a hobby because sports or any hobby usually don't have LT benefits. But now you can get GS perks forever (because we all know that UAL won't go away) but without paying an annual subscription fee that most hobbies have. And if you choose to not fly ual for a year, GS will still be there for you when you're ready to fly ual again. Enjoy. And thanks for sharing HOW you did it, so others can try it out :-)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: United Gold
Congrats PBAudit! I just wanted to note that its alot easier to decide to embark on your plan from an international hub than an out station like PIT. As I have considered mileage runs/etc I am always having to look at long connections and frankly the whole plan loses steam.

Back when PIT was US hub I did runs all the time..
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:32 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Two Bee
I agree with you 100%. I am spending practically as much times at doctors offices as I am flying, it seems. Swollen feet, back pain, butt pain, to name just a few go wrongs. Several years ago I did over 300K-2 years straight, mostly LAS-BKK, with no problems. I am really wearing down, lately, but I am going to get to 3 MM if it kills me!

I have to hand it to the OP --- U-Da-Man!!! ^

My 2017 rap-sheet---YTD Premier qualifying miles:219,394YTD Premier qualifying segments:162Lifetime flight miles:2,989,134
You sound like poor old me... Sitting right now at 2,988,000. Would have made it this week but decided to burn some FF miles to go on vacation in Sydney than go to Europe and to our HQ Christmas party. Will make it at end of Jan. Congrats 3MM is a lot of BIS flying.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:07 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
The real question is, would you do it all again?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.