Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did UA miss the window for MEL SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Seems more a 788 capacity type route. Except during december/Jan.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by david_oz

true. But QF suffers at the other end at SFO, which is why I think this route makes less sense for QF than for UA. In any case, good to see North America to Australia competition increasing after years of very limited, expensive options.

Although I’m certainly hoping UA also launches this route to give me a 1 stop option from YYC to see my brother who just moved to MEL

there red is a one stop option via LAX the timing is just bad, you have to leave yyc at 7am where if you connect sfo lax Mel you leave yyc at 2 pm , so the second stop is actually faster

i do Yyc Mel 6-7 times per year and there is no “good”route

if you find one make sure you let me know
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:20 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
I would vote yes if they asked me, SFO is so much better than the LAX maze of TBIT onward
but tbit lounge (14 minute brisk walk from lounge entrance to united club) is far superior to sfo lounges. lax did a good job working with what they got and tbit is far nicer than sfo int.

there red is a one stop option via LAX the timing is just bad, you have to leave yyc at 7am where if you connect sfo lax Mel you leave yyc at 2 pm , so the second stop is actually faster

i do Yyc Mel 6-7 times per year and there is no “good”route

if you find one make sure you let me know

i love that long layover in lax (as i fly to sin a bit, and i'm self employed). meet up with friends at melodies, go that taqueria just down the road, get my work and drank on in the tbit lounge, fly out tired. but i hear yah if you don't have a half day to waste.

anyways i found one:
http://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/2017/yvr-a...ne-from-canada
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cur
but tbit lounge (14 minute brisk walk from lounge entrance to united club) is far superior to sfo lounges. lax did a good job working with what they got and tbit is far nicer than sfo int.

i love that long layover in lax (as i fly to sin a bit, and i'm self employed). meet up with friends at melodies, go that taqueria just down the road, get my work and drank on in the tbit lounge, fly out tired. but i hear yah if you don't have a half day to waste.

anyways i found one:
YVR to Launch First Non-Stop Flight between Melbourne and Canada | YVR
true the new AC route is better. But as a 1K, and also as someone who has seen AC’s Y product go steadily downhill over the last few years I’ll always prefer the UA option if possible. Although the 12 hour layover at LAX is too much for me. I’d rather take the layover in SYD (on the outbound) where I can at least catch up with friends and family
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry

true the new AC route is better. But as a 1K, and also as someone who has seen AC’s Y product go steadily downhill over the last few years I’ll always prefer the UA option if possible. Although the 12 hour layover at LAX is too much for me. I’d rather take the layover in SYD (on the outbound) where I can at least catch up with friends and family
OK, there are 3 of us going , how many do we need to charter a 787...................... lol

Originally Posted by cur

anyways i found one:
YVR to Launch First Non-Stop Flight between Melbourne and Canada YVR
I do remember hearing about that after you posted it, I have not spent much time in YVR but the domestic to USA connection is a gong show, maybe the international is better

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2017 at 8:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:07 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I do remember hearing about that after you posted it, I have not spent much time in YVR but the domestic to USA connection is a gong show, maybe the international is better
i have no clue what you are talking about. usa>int and int>usa connections in yvr yyc yyz is as smoove as it gets for a country like canada. a few years ago yvr had its choke points and i'm guessing that is what you are referring to, but now everyone gets kicked into the central hall so now we all suffer equally.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 18, 2017 at 3:08 pm Reason: OMNI content removed
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
SFO BNE would make the most sense now that SFO MEL will commence by QF.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by cur
i have no clue what you are talking about. usa>int and int>usa connections in yvr yyc yyz is as smoove as it gets for a country like canada. a few years ago yvr had its choke points and i'm guessing that is what you are referring to, but now everyone gets kicked into the central hall so now we all suffer equally.
the transfer from Canada domestic flight into yvr to a USA outbound flight is a gong show, it’s a long way to get to the customs and the hallways and doors are poorly marked and confusing. Myself and others from CALGARY will avoid yvr to make a connection to Hawaii , go to Seattle or sfo
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum

upgrades on AC are only available 7 days out, as an SE, chuckle AC flys the 787-8 and its only got 20 business class seats and if they have changed to the 787-9 its just got 30 J seats, worse yet not E+ if you miss an upgrade. ( AC has 31" seat pitch and UA has 32" E+ is 35"
AC 789 has 298 seats vs United 252 seats.
No matter how you look at it AC, is in reality selling a Rouge product.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Why Does United Fly To Melbourne from LAX but not SFO?

This always struck me as odd, since the vast majority of their Transpacific flights are out of SFO and it's a bigger hub for them than LAX. I figured the SFO <=> Melbourne route must not be as profitable as the market from LAX, hence the nonstop from there. But since Qantas announced SFO <=> Melbourne flights with minimal opportunities for connecting onwards at SFO, that doesn't seem likely. Anyone know why United has been hesitant to start this route? Does anyone see them following suit and starting it in order to compete with Qantas?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Is range an issue from SFO?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bhunt
Is range an issue from SFO?
MEL-SFO is shorter than MEL-LAX.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
This always struck me as odd, since the vast majority of their Transpacific flights are out of SFO and it's a bigger hub for them than LAX. I figured the SFO <=> Melbourne route must not be as profitable as the market from LAX, hence the nonstop from there. But since Qantas announced SFO <=> Melbourne flights with minimal opportunities for connecting onwards at SFO, that doesn't seem likely. Anyone know why United has been hesitant to start this route? Does anyone see them following suit and starting it in order to compete with Qantas?
Film industries in Melbourne and Los Angeles?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
This always struck me as odd, since the vast majority of their Transpacific flights are out of SFO and it's a bigger hub for them than LAX.
I would assume it's due to O/D traffic, and LA is 3x larger O/D market than SF.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
QF have a very large connection partner in AA, and AA has infinitely more connection potential ("some") in SFO than UA does at MEL ("zero").
You could convince me that MEL-SFO is a profitable route, but you could never convince me that once QF announced it that there was enough left over for UA to make any money.
My limited experience with the LAX-MEL flights on UA is that they aren't selling out the back consistently, and these have been *relatively* easy to GPU up front, so while I think these flights yield "well" I don't think they yield so well that adding capacity to MEL makes much sense. With SFO slots and 787 frames both a limited resource, I think a new 789 frame is going to make a lot more money for UA flying direct to some random business/manufacturing center in the middle of China than it ever would to MEL.
Most Aussie tourists connecting are going to fly QF, and most USA tourists are not likely to care much whether they go via LAX or SFO *unless* they live in one of those cities....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.