Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rumor: CX to leave OW for Star: UA implications?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres

UA Exec meeting today at IAD had talks CX to leave OW when IAD is launched and announce *A. What does this mean for UA?

btw that first suite!!!!!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't see this happening, though I would gladly swap SQ for CX.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
source? because the OP of the a.net thread i read this rumor on earlier spelled qantas "quantas" in the same post. i'm calling #fakenews

EFC: i can see CX joining *A at some point, mainly because of their CA ties. this is nothing new. what i'm doubting is that (a) this change is imminent, and (b) it was divulged at this alleged meeting at IAD.
halls120 likes this.

Last edited by riphamilton; Dec 14, 2017 at 4:00 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This rumor's been floating in and out for quite some time.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Believe it when I see it, but more partners is never(?) a bad thing...
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:51 pm

Airline industry braces for China Southern exit from Skyteam alliance, setting up clash with Cathay Pacific | South China Morning Post

That is as good a version of the story as any of the crap floating around. The theory is that China Southern has to leave SkyTeam to partner with AA now that American owns a small chunk and once that happens (and CZ moves into OW) that CX will leave because it doesn't want to be competing just across the border with another OW member. Putting aside that the two airlines don't really compete for the same passengers today despite their closely located hubs there are plenty of reasons to think it is reasonable or stupid.

As for the impact on UA, if CX joins *A then figure some code-share beyond Hong Kong (but not into mainland China) as well as on the US side. In other words, exactly what the AA/CX relationship looks like today. That said, UA still have the NH JV (and CX won't be in a JV because no open skies and China isn't going to change that any time soon) so I'd bet the cheaper fares, at least for JV markets, would still mostly be on UA/NH metal.

As to the F suite rave by the OP, are you thinking of CX or the new SQ or EK suite?
milepig likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Airline industry braces for China Southern exit from Skyteam alliance, setting up clash with Cathay Pacific South China Morning Post

That is as good a version of the story as any of the crap floating around. The theory is that China Southern has to leave SkyTeam to partner with AA now that American owns a small chunk and once that happens (and CZ moves into OW) that CX will leave because it doesn't want to be competing just across the border with another OW member. Putting aside that the two airlines don't really compete for the same passengers today despite their closely located hubs there are plenty of reasons to think it is reasonable or stupid.

As for the impact on UA, if CX joins *A then figure some code-share beyond Hong Kong (but not into mainland China) as well as on the US side. In other words, exactly what the AA/CX relationship looks like today. That said, UA still have the NH JV (and CX won't be in a JV because no open skies and China isn't going to change that any time soon) so I'd bet the cheaper fares, at least for JV markets, would still mostly be on UA/NH metal.

As to the F suite rave by the OP, are you thinking of CX or the new SQ or EK suite?
That's would be my 'fear', assuming this even happens. They'd be in the alliance, but good luck being able to get a decent fare on a 016 ticket (like how SK, etc. get no love because of the LH JV tie up).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jmanirish
That's would be my 'fear', assuming this even happens. They'd be in the alliance, but good luck being able to get a decent fare on a 016 ticket (like how SK, etc. get no love because of the LH JV tie up).
Though CX and UA already do have a fairly robust relationship, with discount fares (to BKK, for example) often available via HKG.

UA is in many ways closer to CX than it is to TG, which will only allow UA to sell full fare tix on UA stock.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 14, 2017 at 4:22 pm Reason: not sure about codeshares
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Though CX and UA already do have a fairly robust codeshare relationship, with discount throughfares (to BKK, for example) often available via HKG.

UA is in many ways closer to CX than it is to TG, which will only allow UA to sell full fare tix on UA stock.
Ah interesting. Didn't even realize that (shows how often I'm flying that direction)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Ah interesting. Didn't even realize that (shows how often I'm flying that direction)
Although now I think about it, not sure they're sold as codeshares. But UA definitely sells discount onward CX flights from HKG.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA is in many ways closer to CX than it is to TG
...and Star Alliance member Air China is currently the second largest shareholder of CX.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:49 pm

The flight timings for the IAD to HKG flight do not offer much connectivity ex-IAD (late evening arrival into IAD). This is similar to CX's HKG-EWR flight.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
No loss, no gain. CX is not an alliance player. Look at how crummy the mileage earnings are on CX. I think all CX wants are codeshares, not full alliance participation.

Before anyone mentions SkyTeam, I highly doubt that CX would even consider ST since MU is too close.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by sbm12
Airline industry braces for China Southern exit from Skyteam alliance, setting up clash with Cathay Pacific South China Morning Post

CX F suite.

i saw the airliners thread, made a call over to IAD and there was an Exec meeting so this seems pretty true at least UA are talking about it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:28 pm

That would kill one world is Asia. They already have no China presence. To lose HKG seems almost like the death of One World.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.