Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Home for the holidays": Pilot program to hold flights for delayed connections.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Home for the holidays": Pilot program to hold flights for delayed connections.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Look the obvious solution to this is that if it is my connection that is late, they should definitely hold the plane for me.
If I'm already on the plane, they should depart the gate on schedule so that I can get to destination on time.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Red face

Originally Posted by sbm12
Of course they do. That's been confirmed a couple times now.
Which is why I said it a third time.
If it didn't get across the first time, and needed a second opinion, I thought what the heck, let's beat-er to death!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:28 pm

Kudos!

This is a customer friendly initiative with great optics going into the holidays — well done, United!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:34 pm

United, the only company that can make having more delays sound like a positive initiative...
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Doesn't it make sense that holding the last flight of the evening will probably NOT cause many, if any, UA pax's to mis-connect.
No, this by itself doesn't make sense, without being more specific. If it's the last flight of the night to a small outstation with no *A connections, then it's true. But some US airports with international flights are only shut down for a few hours a day. It goes beyond UA connections, you have to look at all Star Alliance. And even if you disregard UA's hubs, international carriers depart from a number of US locations which may not be all that significant to UA.

So it's not that simple. It makes me feel a lot better that an employee stated upthread that this is not a program, but rather just a case-by-case decision, which IME, it always has been. And it's not only for "last flight" but I've seen them do it for connections too. Living in Chicago, it can be a little annoying when they announce they're holding the flight for someone who has the 11:55 pm flight to Seoul and needs to get to ORD. But even when I just REALLY want to get home, I think of how missing that flight would ruin someone else's day, week, or family vacation.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by doobierw
Never heard of this program. Did a search on our employee site and there is no mention of this program. At this point, I would be led to believe it was a GA making a feel good excuse to hold a flight for a bit...and the folks on FT running with it.
Having said that.... The decision to hold a flight for connectors is made at a level far, far away from the aircraft or the gate. The decision, as many have pointed out, involves a myriad of factors including last flight of the day, estimated flight time for that segment, ability to re-book misconnects, impact on follow on flights, crew rest, etc.
Pilots are provided very clear direction for the priorities of operating a flight: Safely, comfortably, on-time, and efficiently...in that order. The priority to be on-time (or less-late) comes before operating efficiently.....i.e. we will always burn more gas if it helps keep the operation on time.

DRW
Agree 100% as I've never heard of it anywhere but here - couple of days ago I had the last flight of the night to an outstation with a good number of people who had just landed on a delayed inbound. At no point did the agents suggest we were waiting and in fact we did not - pushed ten early.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
nice in theory but often poorly executed. This week our flight was held 25 minutes for connecting passengers and we arrived 30 minutes late ... they thought they could make up for it but they could not and several pax missed their connections. As usual ... nice theories from UA married with poor execution ... recipe for disaster.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by TA
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
Pilot made a nice announcement reassuring folks that we'll make up the time in flight.
I guess they'll take the extra fuel burn as an expense?

Nice gesture.
I've never been on a late leaving flight where the pilot didn't announce that they would make up the time/some of the time in flight.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
UA 328 DEN-HNL being held at gate 30 mins for inbound passengers. FAs and Capt totally professional about it and keeping us informed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.