Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Home for the holidays": Pilot program to hold flights for delayed connections.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Home for the holidays": Pilot program to hold flights for delayed connections.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by mr8
While it seems like nice gesture, some people have plans and need to arrive at the scheduled landing time. What if some pax were connecting to another airline/separate ticket or some other ground transportation that they need to catch.
if you're landing at MSY at 11pm, planning to pick up a connection on a separate ticket, you lose. Ok with that tradeoff! (Last flight of the night to an outstation and connection on separate ticket don't often collide. And if they do, that's the separate ticket risk. Yawn.)
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Two Bee
Now, we have to factor in the make up any answer you want, and they'll fall for it b.s., but he seemed pretty sure of his reply!
There is no strict rule on the number of "runners" that causes a flight to be held. Multiple factors are in play. Every airline has a team of people working on these operations decisions throughout the day.

Taking the delay comes with some costs (human and money). Those are balanced against the costs of not taking the delay. Sometimes it is a straight financial decision and sometimes it is not. But there are always multiple factors in play.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:42 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
In the example given, we're talking about the last flight of the night to an outstation. I don't think they're going to be doing this to SFO with 50 people connecting to SYD...
In the case of SYD specifically, sometimes UA can do this for free anyway. I have been delayed on the ground several times because the winds are too favorable, leading to an arrival that would break the curfew. So you wait regardless.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:23 pm

We could have used this last Friday when our mechanical delayed flight caused us to get to our "last flight of the night" connection to MSY 8 minutes before its scheduled departure time (after running to try and make it), only to find that the door had been closed at 15 minutes before departure...and then to top it off, the ap informs me while in the customer service line that the missed flight was now delayed 21 minutes (customer service agent said it was delayed to load bags), and there were no seats available until Monday on any flights...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
It did say "last flight of the night", so perhaps given the airport location(s) it's unlikely for other passengers to have connections. But if this is a legit program and not a GA initiative, scheduling software can be utilized to make sure other passengers aren't going below MCT!
And this speaks to my original point...is a network-wide "program" or just a good GA? It makes tons of sense on DEN-BUR, but think of the reverse. Going from a hub to non-hub, or even some hub to hub flights -- it may be the last flight of the day, but there could still be flights at airports such as ORD, EWR, IAH, SFO, especially those midnight departures that may not even be UA but other *A. Nice to get someone home to BUR, but not so nice on CVG-ORD and someone misses their flight to Seoul!

We just have one random report so who knows what the policy is. If UA is being smart about which "last flights" qualify, then I'm 100% in favor of this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Agree with this program for the most part and think the concern about impaxginf international flights is overblown. There are maybe what 2 international flights (the two SYD flights) that this impacts since at most outstations I don't think the last flight of the night is timed to the morning /early afternoon TPAC bank or evening TATL / SA bank.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
There is no strict rule on the number of "runners" that causes a flight to be held....
If a bunch of folks are trying to make a tight connection at BOS, is that a Logan's Run?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by JBord
And this speaks to my original point...is a network-wide "program" or just a good GA?.....We just have one random report so who knows what the policy is.
Never heard of this program. Did a search on our employee site and there is no mention of this program. At this point, I would be led to believe it was a GA making a feel good excuse to hold a flight for a bit...and the folks on FT running with it.
Having said that.... The decision to hold a flight for connectors is made at a level far, far away from the aircraft or the gate. The decision, as many have pointed out, involves a myriad of factors including last flight of the day, estimated flight time for that segment, ability to re-book misconnects, impact on follow on flights, crew rest, etc.
Pilots are provided very clear direction for the priorities of operating a flight: Safely, comfortably, on-time, and efficiently...in that order. The priority to be on-time (or less-late) comes before operating efficiently.....i.e. we will always burn more gas if it helps keep the operation on time.

DRW
sbm12 and JBord like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by doobierw
Never heard of this program. Did a search on our employee site and there is no mention of this program. At this point, I would be led to believe it was a GA making a feel good excuse to hold a flight for a bit...and the folks on FT running with it.
Having said that.... The decision to hold a flight for connectors is made at a level far, far away from the aircraft or the gate. The decision, as many have pointed out, involves a myriad of factors including last flight of the day, estimated flight time for that segment, ability to re-book misconnects, impact on follow on flights, crew rest, etc.
Pilots are provided very clear direction for the priorities of operating a flight: Safely, comfortably, on-time, and efficiently...in that order. The priority to be on-time (or less-late) comes before operating efficiently.....i.e. we will always burn more gas if it helps keep the operation on time.

DRW
maybe if the runners are all GS members, then perhaps the flight will be held...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I thought this was a more frequent occurence, I've been on several of the last EWR-BOS flights of the day where it was held ~30 minutes for connecting passengers. Was great for me as an O&D passenger because I thought I was going to miss the flight on more than one occasion...

But then I was also on the 6:50pm IAH-LGA flight 6 weeks ago that pushed back 10 minutes early...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
If I'm scrambling to catch the flight they won't hold the plane

If I'm already onboard, and other passengers are scrambling, they sometimes hold the plane.

If a pilot or flight attendant needs to work the flight, they will definitely hold the plane, even if the crewmembers take a leisurely stroll to the gate
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BH62
Au Contraire: IME, I recall specifically sitting on a SYD flight at SFO (after connecting from SEA), an announcement that "we're holding this flight for connecting passengers from Los Angeles", but on another time the SEA-SFO connection was late & the jetway for the SYD flight was locked just as we came within sight of it. Win some, lose some.
SYD flights get held frequently for inbound passengers. The amount of time they are willing to wait depends a lot on the weather conditions on-route and whether you're in the half of the year that these flights land close to the curfew ending. A few years back we waited over an hour for inbound connections from a ORD (back in the days when ORD-SFO and SFO-SYD shared the flight number UA863), but still landed on-time in Sydney. I'm guessing if we hadn't had such good tailwinds they might not have been so generous...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doobierw

DRW
Thanks for the inside perspective.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Doesn't it make sense that holding the last flight of the evening will probably NOT cause many, if any, UA pax's to mis-connect. However, if some of the pax's on the flight being held are going to then mis-connect (i.e. SFO-SYD) they most likely WOULD NOT cause those people to miss their international flight and would push back? I really think what they are talking about is holding the last flights, if it won't impact a large number of people, just to get the aircraft to a gate where it will terminate for 5/6 hours, until the morning departure.

As is usually the case, if you're the one on the plane you want to get goin' asap, but if you are taxiing for the gate and see your plane still parked a few gates away, and it was supposed to leave 10/15 mins ago, you are pretty happy to see a g/a calling your name when you arrive, out of breath, at the gate.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that the people that are controlling the arrivals and departures are ALL communicating about what they are ALL going to do re every one of their flights, and know who is going to mis-connect and if holding a flight or not, impacts their schedules and pax's for that particular evening.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Doesn't it make sense that holding the last flight of the evening will probably NOT cause many, if any, UA pax's to mis-connect.
Only if there isn't a knock-on effect the following morning due to crew rest issues.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that the people that are controlling the arrivals and departures are ALL communicating about what they are ALL going to do re every one of their flights, and know who is going to mis-connect and if holding a flight or not, impacts their schedules and pax's for that particular evening.
Of course they do. That's been confirmed a couple times now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.