Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disgusting bathrooms Economy Class PVG-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting bathrooms Economy Class PVG-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Perhaps it's not a Chinese issue but a UA issue.
I would disagree. I flew from PVG-ORD a couple of years ago on a UA 747 (RIP) and the mid-Y lavs were absolutely repulsive. The crew placed signs written on loose leaf graphing paper on a few bathrooms that said "Do not use" in both English and Chinese. There was what seemed to have been dirt or some greyish brown powder seeping out of several restrooms. Mid Y cabin smelled disgusting. Never experienced on any other UA flight or long haul... just China.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:25 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt

Yet every time I take MU or CA long haul the lavs stay clean. Perhaps it's not a Chinese issue but a UA issue.

To the OP, unless there is an absolute need to take UA on this route, China Eastern should be your choice. They are better in all classes and the toilets will be clean.

I can second, it is a management problem as I flew MU for the first time and was wondering why every few visitors to the lavatory a FA would go in, boy they needed to go a lot, LOL. Till I used it, the lavatory, impressed at the little things they do even in economy compared to the America carriers.

Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Have you had the pleasure(?) of using the rear lavs on a US transcon?
Yes. FWIW - it is not as bad as you think.

Yet every time I take MU or CA long haul the lavs stay clean. Perhaps it's not a Chinese issue but a UA issue.
While it starts as a Chinese issue, it becomes a UA issue when the FAs are not required to clean the lavs.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The nastiest lavs I've ever encountered was flying LIS-DKR on TP. I think the natives intentionally missed the toilet.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by TomMM
The nastiest lavs I've ever encountered was flying LIS-DKR on TP. I think the natives intentionally missed the toilet.
Yeah, the Portugese can be quite messy (sigh).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Regardless of how nasty the bathrooms look, nothing is worse than watching people go into these nasty bathrooms wearing socks or bare feet.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
Yeah, the Portugese can be quite messy (sigh).
Who said anything about Portugese(sigh)?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Yes; I took this beauty in Melbourne, Australia of all places:

You see these signs all over Asia especially in Singapore. The worst bathrooms I've seen so far during my travels have been in Malaysia, where washing your rear end with water and your left hand is the norm. The floor is usually flooded and you need some thick high soles on your shoes to wade through the mess without it soaking into your shoes. I also took tons of purell wipes with me since I wasn't going to wash my hands in the sink nor touch the soap or the faucet.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
I made my feelings very clear on the post-flight survey.
I would complain also. Not just on the survey.

Bathroom only for crew members? Who are they kidding here?!?!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:19 am

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
You guys are so quick to judge. Did you ask the Crew why they locked the lav and they answered it’s locked for Crew use only , because they wanted to lock it or there’s was maintenance reason? Or you didn’t ask the Crew and just assumed they locked it for their use? Locking the lav is determined by maintenance or captain. In my experiences, lavs were locked because: not flushing, no water, clogged sink, retractable trash lid not retract, call light out; it became FAA uncompliant, United would get fine if they let passengers use it.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by skidooman
I would complain also. Not just on the survey.

Bathroom only for crew members? Who are they kidding here?!?!
As others have posted, there are certainly numerous reasons why a bathroom would not be legal (per FAA) for pax use, but the crew could still use it.

Now, keeping them clean is another issue.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by TomMM
Who said anything about Portugese(sigh)?
Sorry, my post was sarcastic. I misunderstood and thought you were targeting a particular group of travelers.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Dang. I am flying PVG-SFO this week.

I prefer connection thru NRT over PEK due to the toilet issues.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by poohhead80
Based on your FT name, I would have thought otherwise!
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:20 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Are flight attendants supposed to keep the lavatories reasonably clean?
i agree, on those ultra long hauls the lavs are just awful. i forgot where but there was this study that showed people tend to be messier and not give a flying....in a dirty environment, but in clean environments people go out of their way to keep it that way. and you go on azn carriers and you see the fas doing refreshes

but on the other hand, they serve food, and i dunno if you can properly sanitize your hands post-biohazard-handling in a plane lav.

Originally Posted by poohhead80
Dang. I am flying PVG-SFO this week.

just wear hotel slippers and don't look down, which, mind you, what everyone else is doing, thus the mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.