FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, ..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1882474-ua-sfo-ppt-787-8-experiences-qa.html)

Kacee Dec 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 29170213)
I flew BA from LHR to MIA recently and onboard they said that anyone continuing on an AA flight to south or central America did not have to clear customs at MIA.

CBP has a very limited experimental program under which international transit pax do not need to retrieve their checked bags. I believe this program is only in place at MIA and IAH. As already noted, passengers still must clear US immigration.

DoTheBartMan Dec 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 29167883)
The complicating factor, as it is with the existing CDG-LAX-PPT flights, is that transit pax must clear US customs on the intermediate stop, despite CDG-PPT being technically a domestic route. Geography is such that there really are no other, more favorable routing options.

CDG-FSP-PPT would allow the route to remain "domestic", but FSP can't handle B777s. :D

(FSP = Saint-Pierre airport, Saint Pierre and Miquelon)

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller (Post 29168118)
I believe NZ has something similar for its AKL-LAX-LHR connections at LAX, though they're segregated from general pax and have to use a "holding area".

That changed after NZ moved from T2 to TBIT. Nowadays NZ1/NZ2 transfer passengers go through special CBP processing and are then allowed into the general departure area.

Connecting at Los Angeles (Air NZ webpage)

On arrival at LAX, transit customers holding an onward boarding pass and continuing on the same aircraft to Auckland or London Heathrow will be issued a transit card (example above) and directed by ground staff to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) processing.

Passengers will then be directed to a designated transit location for security screening by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). Once screened, passengers will be directed back into the central terminal area where they will have complete access to the departure area, including the 150,000 square feet of retail and dining space in TBIT's Great Hall.

For those eligible (Business Premier, Star Alliance Gold & other eligible customers), transiting passengers will also have access to the Star Alliance lounge. Passengers must retain their boarding passes at all times. There is no requirement to complete any arrival forms and checked baggage will remain onboard during transit time.

seat38a Dec 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Bora Bora here I come! Time to use up all my IHG points at the InterContinental Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa

milepig Dec 13, 2017 3:05 pm

I just tried a dummy booking and the date after 11/18 were grayed out. Still loading fares?

PV_Premier Dec 13, 2017 3:09 pm

interesting addition. i guess UA has more data than me, but i would've expected to see something else before this.

stimpy Dec 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a (Post 29170697)
Bora Bora here I come! Time to use up all my IHG points at the InterContinental Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa

I'm thinking the same thing. And if I can use a UA GPU to fly flat it will finally make sense.

PsiFighter37 Dec 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 29170856)
I'm thinking the same thing. And if I can use a UA GPU to fly flat it will finally make sense.

I do wonder what GPU success will be like. Given how high-cost French Polynesia is, I could see a decent amount of paid J on this route.

jsloan Dec 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 29170834)
I just tried a dummy booking and the date after 11/18 were grayed out. Still loading fares?

UA only allows bookings about ~335 days in advance.

hirohito888 Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan (Post 29170626)
CDG-FSP-PPT would allow the route to remain "domestic", but FSP can't handle B777s. :D

They can always operate CDG-PTP-PPT (Pointe-a-Pitre) which can handle a 777.

I do hope that R space opens up, similar to how all the R space available when they announced IAH-SYD.

Kacee Dec 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 29170956)
I do hope that R space opens up, similar to how all the R space available when they announced IAH-SYD.

Me too. But that's a mistake when it happens. The algorithm mistakes an empty cabin for lack of demand.

milepig Dec 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 29170915)
UA only allows bookings about ~335 days in advance.

Doh. I always translate that into 365 in my brain.

TravelTheWorld66 Dec 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a (Post 29170697)

Finally!! I've been waiting years for this. Now my 1M+ IHG points will be out to good use -- if only I could ever string together 7-10 reward nights at Thalasso.

halls120 Dec 13, 2017 4:58 pm

So I ran a dummy booking in November and found a $4383.56 R/T business fare that earns 0 PQD. Wow. ;)

HkCaGu Dec 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT (Post 29169943)
The SFO departure timing makes sense given the availability of gates at that time and, importantly, when an Asia departure goes mechanical, the PPT aircraft will instead be used and the PPT flight will get delayed/cancelled.

Cancelling a 3x/week flight to a vacation destination isn't going to be good for reputation. However, I can see them holding departure for delayed EU-SFO arrivals. A 2-hour CDG-SFO delay does not trigger 261 compensation, but missing onward SFO-PPT will.

pseudoswede Dec 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan (Post 29170626)

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 29170956)
They can always operate CDG-PTP-PPT (Pointe-a-Pitre) which can handle a 777.

I think there are three options...

Great Circle Mapper