FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, ..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1882474-ua-sfo-ppt-787-8-experiences-qa.html)

amtrakusa Feb 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 29424131)
CO tried Fiji not long ago. The route failed.

I definitely prefer UA, but when AF, BF, and TN all offer flights arriving into PPT with time to make connections to other islands and UA doesn't, I'm not likely to choose UA.

flying AF and BF, coming back you will have to overnight at PPT, from the schedule I can see. So do you prefer to overnight at PPT the first night of your vacation or the last night of your vacation?

CO tried FIJI, but it didn't have the powerful hub of SFO at the time. Anyway, not sure it will work, but worth looking on a seasonal, less than daily basis i think.

halls120 Feb 16, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by amtrakusa (Post 29425104)
For airlines not based in PPT (i,e, AF or UA), it is either late evening arrival/late evening departure or early morning arrival/ early morning departure. so you will spend 1 night at PPT either way. So do you prefer staying the first night of your vacation at PPT or last night of your vacation at PPT?

I don't think UA can afford to leave its 788 close to 12 hours on the ground at PPT not flying.

We plan on taking this flight once we retire, and I hope UA still has it when that happens. When we overnight in PPT doesn't really matter.

milepig Feb 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by amtrakusa (Post 29425104)
For airlines not based in PPT (i,e, AF or UA), it is either late evening arrival/late evening departure or early morning arrival/ early morning departure. so you will spend 1 night at PPT either way. So do you prefer staying the first night of your vacation at PPT or last night of your vacation at PPT?

I don't think UA can afford to leave its 788 close to 12 hours on the ground at PPT not flying.

We'll be going no November to hook up to a Windstar cruise. Timing is horrible - we'll arrive late on a Tuesday and then the cruise isn't until Thursday - can't fly on Wednesday as UA doesn't fly that day. Then on the way back we'll again have to overnight before a late evening flight the next day.

Now, we are waiting in hopes that the fares drop. Still $5K plus from ORD in business, and no saver fares to be had. RT would be 350,000 miles. Upgrades from economy are all waitlisted, and in any case I've played that waiting game before and don't relish doing so again.

amtrakusa Feb 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 29425216)
We'll be going no November to hook up to a Windstar cruise. Timing is horrible - we'll arrive late on a Tuesday and then the cruise isn't until Thursday - can't fly on Wednesday as UA doesn't fly that day. Then on the way back we'll again have to overnight before a late evening flight the next day.

Now, we are waiting in hopes that the fares drop. Still $5K plus from ORD in business, and no saver fares to be had. RT would be 350,000 miles. Upgrades from economy area all waitlisted, and in any case I've played that waiting game before and don't relish doing so again.

have a great trip! good luck on the fare and upgrade!

milepig Mar 1, 2018 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 29425216)

Now, we are waiting in hopes that the fares drop. Still $5K plus from ORD in business, and no saver fares to be had. RT would be 350,000 miles. Upgrades from economy are all waitlisted, and in any case I've played that waiting game before and don't relish doing so again.

Originally Posted by amtrakusa (Post 29425371)
have a great trip! good luck on the fare and upgrade!

I pulled the trigger today. The flights in J were actually beginning to fill, so I don’t expect fares to drop much. Also booked the IC in overwater bungalow, so just all a splurge.

Buzzman Mar 2, 2018 8:19 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 29475381)

I pulled the trigger today. The flights in J were actually beginning to fill, so I don’t expect fares to drop much. Also booked the IC in overwater bungalow, so just all a splurge.

I did it a couple weeks ago... J was filled for the first flight but I got the Y seats I wanted.... I noticed that TN announced a sale yesterday $880USD R/T, which is way below any previous sale numbers they've advertised.

milepig Mar 2, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman (Post 29476747)
I did it a couple weeks ago... J was filled for the first flight but I got the Y seats I wanted.... I noticed that TN announced a sale yesterday $880USD R/T, which is way below any previous sale numbers they've advertised.

Wow - filled over six months out. That must be encouraging to UA! I was seeing maybe half full and even that surprised me this far out. Yeah, I guess TN is blinking.

Buzzman Mar 3, 2018 7:41 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 29477216)
Wow - filled over six months out. That must be encouraging to UA! I was seeing maybe half full and even that surprised me this far out. Yeah, I guess TN is blinking.

I don't think it's full of REV passengers in J.... It sat there with only 3-5 seats sold during the first couple months and then it filled almost overnight. May be NON REV pax for the inaugural trip. I know that Y is wide open...

milepig Mar 3, 2018 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman (Post 29480303)
I don't think it's full of REV passengers in J.... It sat there with only 3-5 seats sold during the first couple months and then it filled almost overnight. May be NON REV pax for the inaugural trip. I know that Y is wide open...

maybe the inaugural. We’re a couple weeks later.

Sea77 Mar 11, 2018 8:43 pm

French Bee

I was able to book flight SFO-PPT $ 650 roundtrip on French Bee website....it looks like it will fly May-October. Which now makes sense why United will fly November -April...

gradientdescent May 22, 2018 10:28 pm

Any predictions on when saver availability might open up for any of the low-season weeks (between Thanksgiving and Christmas)? Looks like very few Y tickets being actually sold during these weeks.

Or with new routes, does UA typically wait until they begin operating before trying to optimize inventory?

zombietooth Jun 24, 2018 8:53 am

P-Fares

P is available on a lot of dates for 7-12 day trips in NOV/DEC/JAN/FEB/MAR
I booked East Coast to PPT RT for $4,445- in FEB.

I'd allow at least a 2 hour layover in SFO for your outbound flight because of the abysmal delay/ground stop rate there.

merice107107 Jun 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sea77 (Post 29512879)
I was able to book flight SFO-PPT $ 650 roundtrip on French Bee website....it looks like it will fly May-October. Which now makes sense why United will fly November -April...

I forgot this was originally scheduled as seasonal. I had always assumed it was year round or they would extend it. Unfortunately, still no flights scheduled past March 28th :(

jk88usa Jun 26, 2018 10:49 pm

These must not be selling well....

UA now matching French Bee for 700 or less... about to pull the trigger on a $700 RT ticket at Christmas-time (which seems insane considering it's $70 cheaper than Hawaii on the same dates - 12/23-12/27). Seat map looks 80% empty in coach, 40% empty up front. I'd think most people would buy this far out or farther for Xmas time

And looking at more dates before Xmas and into January...the seat map is even more abysmal. Virtually nobody up front or in back, though maybe with the price change that will shift quickly. Hope this route survives as the one time I flew TN some time ago it was a bad experience all around...

milepig Jul 29, 2018 8:44 am

Our flight times for November just got changed to move up 45 minutes in each direction. This works in our favor on the outbound as it reduces a four hour layover. On the return not so great. We land (in theory) at 8:45 and I’d go for the 10:40, but UA has zeroed out P for the SFO-ORD leg. There is then a hole in the schedule until our 12:45ish flight.

oddly, this came though to us as an email and the flights in the record had already been changed without the confirmation step.

The prices for our rt ORD-SFO-PPT have doubled so they must be doing OK in the front cabin, although I didn’t check how much this is due to zero P on the SFO-ORD leg.