Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread inOceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum
Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?
United Airlines Launches Inaugural Flight Between San Francisco and Tahiti, Announces it will Extend to Year-Round Service

United launches the only nonstop service to the Islands of Tahiti by a U.S. carrier from the mainland United States

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today started the only nonstop service by a U.S. carrier to the Islands of Tahiti. The airline launched its first flight between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti. As part of its inaugural celebration, United also announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco.

"We are thrilled to extend this exciting flight to a year-round schedule," said Janet Lamkin. "For Californians and our customers connecting through San Francisco, this route offers an escape to a little corner of paradise."

United's newest international flight offers customers a convenient gateway to the islands of French Polynesia including Mo'orea, Bora Bora, the Marquesas and Rangiroa. Starting today, United's service to Tahiti departs San Francisco International Airport on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Beginning March 30, 2019, United will begin year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. United will operate the route with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft throughout the year. Tickets are available for purchase on united.com.
Flight City Pair Depart Arrive
UA 115 San Francisco - Tahiti 2:45 p.m. 9:25 p.m.
UA 114 Tahiti - San Francisco 11:45 p.m. 9:50 a.m. next day

United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. From San Francisco, United will continue to operate nonstop seasonal summer service to Zurich in 2019 and recently announced it will be the only U.S. carrier to offer daily, year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam beginning March 30, 2019.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's SFO-PPT 788 starts October 30 2018.

United Airlines adds the South Pacific's Most Stunning Tropical Paradise to its Growing List of New Routes

Tahiti becomes the 13th international route announced by the airline in 2017
United's new nonstop flight from SFO to Tahiti connects customers to beautiful beaches, overwater bungalows, coral atolls and forested volcanoes

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 13, 2017 -- United Airlines (UAL), the leading carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area, today announced it will begin service between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti, the South Pacific's gateway to more than 118 islands in French Polynesia including Bora Bora, Moorea, the Marquesas and Raiatea. United is the only U.S. carrier offering nonstop service to Tahiti from the mainland United States. Tickets are now available for purchase.

"We are excited to announce Tahiti as our 13th new international route this year, and we are even more thrilled about offering our customers a whole new world of vacation opportunities," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "We know our customers want more destinations to choose from to escape the winter weather, and we look forward to being the airline that connects them to this corner of paradise.

"United's service from San Francisco will connect customers to the South Pacific's most pristine waters, white sand beaches, stunning turquoise lagoons, coral atolls and volcanic mountain peaks. Visitors to the islands experience a tropical paradise and countless spaces to relax and reconnect in natural beauty and authentic French Polynesian island culture.

United will operate nonstop service, three times weekly with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft between its San Francisco hub and Fa'a'ā International Airport (PPT), beginning Oct. 30, 2018, through March 28, 2019, subject to government approval.
Winter 2018 schedule – Subject to government approval
UA 115 SFO – PPT Tues/Thurs/Sun 2:45 p.m. - 9:25 p.m
UA 114 PPT – SFO Tues/Thurs/Sun 11:45 p.m. - 9:50 a.m. next day
*Flight Times Subject to Change

United's Long History Connecting Customers to the Pacific Islands
United's love affair with the Pacific islands started more than 70 years ago and continues today. It began in 1947 with United's first flight across the Pacific from San Francisco to Honolulu, making the Hawaiian Islands an easily accessible destination for tourism and business. Today, United offers more flights between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands than any other U.S. carrier.

In 1968, United expanded its Pacific network linking the Hawaiian Islands, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Guam. Today, nearly half a century later, United's Island Hopper - Flight 155 - departs Guam in the morning and makes a series of five, one-hour flights to the islands of Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae; Kwajalein and Majuro. In addition to the airline's popular Island Hopper service, United connects customers from Guam to other island destinations including Palau, Yap and the Philippines.

In 1986, United began nonstop service from its West Coast hubs in the U.S. to Sydney and Melbourne, Australia. Today, United is the largest U.S. carrier to serve Australia, offering the most seats to Sydney and Melbourne with its daily nonstop service from San Francisco and Los Angeles.Building its powerful Pacific network, last year United began nonstop service from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, becoming the largest mainland U.S. carrier to serve the City of Sails.

United's San Francisco Hub
United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. Beginning in June 2018, United will start nonstop seasonal summer service between San Francisco and Zurich.
Print Wikipost

UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, .....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by cmw021
Would a 730pm arrival into PPT (from BOB) be sufficient time for a rapid test (if pre-registered) prior to a 915pm flight home on United? The alternative is 5:40pm, which isn’t terrible but would require 3.5 hours in the PPT airport. Many thanks!
Why not do the eMed test?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Exclamation

Originally Posted by FLLUAFlyer
Standing in line at the UA check-in were several paxs that had tested positive for C19. So it is still a thing!!!!
What were they ding there instead of isolating?! I certainly hope UA didn't fly them when they were showing a positive test. This is why we can't have nice things. <sigh>
Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
What were they ding there instead of isolating?! I certainly hope UA didn't fly them when they were showing a positive test. This is why we can't have nice things. <sigh>

I was about to ask the same question and then I wondered if they were trying to rebook? Still ssems crazy to me but im guessing all the airline can do at that point is hand out the consul office #?

Originally Posted by FLLUAFlyer
Had same experience.... UA115 SFO-PPT on 08/21 the "real" Polaris 1-2-1 seating.... odd seats being the "couples", with even facing away from each other.... UA114 PPT-SFO on 08/28 the "fauxlaris" 2-2-2....

I understand UA (and every airline) can/has to swap equipment for reason.... but UA always advertises and sell the seats lately to PPT as the "new" 787-9 Polaris layout...... then about 1-2 days before departure will put the actual aircraft into the system. Not only sucks for Polaris, but the 2-2-2- 787-9 does not have Premium Economy.... so if you are lucky, and Polaris is not full, you get a free upgrade... if not, you get a free downgrade!!!

I know that a downgrade from PE to EC gets compensation.... but in my opinion, a change in Polaris should also get some compensation!!

Hey we were on the same flight PPT-SFO!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 9, 2021 at 1:34 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Anyone worried about testing, can reconfirm that United accepts CVS antigen tests uploaded to travel ready
bsdstone likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
for thursday 2pm departure out of SFO, should I do it on wed or tuesday is ok? is it exactly 48 hours or by calendar days? thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Just flew SFO-PPT return this week; this is the 2nd round trip I've done in the past 2 years in Polaris. Why are the FAs so tired and grumpy on this route? PPT-SFO had several seats free but service was so slow – 45m after takeoff I finally got asked or my drink and food order (on a short red eye!). I just wanted to have a quick drink then sleep :-/ And same thing on the outbound, there was an FA that passed out ice cream but did not collect any disposables or proactively offer anything throughout the daytime flight.

Obviously this is a leisure route for United, but I've never seen so much carelessness and attitude from United FAs before. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by brodayo
Just flew SFO-PPT return this week; this is the 2nd round trip I've done in the past 2 years in Polaris. Why are the FAs so tired and grumpy on this route? PPT-SFO had several seats free but service was so slow – 45m after takeoff I finally got asked or my drink and food order (on a short red eye!). I just wanted to have a quick drink then sleep :-/ And same thing on the outbound, there was an FA that passed out ice cream but did not collect any disposables or proactively offer anything throughout the daytime flight.

Obviously this is a leisure route for United, but I've never seen so much carelessness and attitude from United FAs before. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Were they very senior FAs? They needed a short nap before starting serving the customers. 😂
cuthroat, Repooc17 and brodayo like this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by brodayo

Unfortunately, this is par for the course for UA. Flying cross country often, it is no longer a surprise to me anymore if nothing would be served until well west of Chicago, and we are almost half way to LAX/SFO already. I usually have some snacks on board, because I cannot depend on United; its inconsistencies drive me crazy.
tcdtcd, cuthroat, brodayo and 1 others like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
How is UA doing on SFO-PPT route?

Hi guys
How is UA doing on SFO-PPT route?
best regards
Old May 27, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: UA
In terms of what? Load factor? On time performance?
Old May 27, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Well - todays flight is mostly full in economy - fairly wide open in Premium Plus - and has a decent number of F seats still available - upgrades should be plentiful.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by angetenar
In terms of what? Load factor? On time performance?
load factor/profitability.
In short, does the route have a future?
Old May 27, 2022, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No one here can talk about profitability or relative performance. Pretty easy to look at the flights daily to see load factor but that is meaningless in terms of profitability. The flights have been operating for nearly a year and likely to continue if demand continues.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No one here can talk about profitability or relative performance. Pretty easy to look at the flights daily to see load factor but that is meaningless in terms of profitability. The flights have been operating for nearly a year and likely to continue if demand continues.
how is it possible to see load factors?
thanks
Old May 31, 2022, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LY777
how is it possible to see load factors?
Look at the seatmap on flight status after the flight has closed.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.