Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread inOceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum
Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?
United Airlines Launches Inaugural Flight Between San Francisco and Tahiti, Announces it will Extend to Year-Round Service

United launches the only nonstop service to the Islands of Tahiti by a U.S. carrier from the mainland United States

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today started the only nonstop service by a U.S. carrier to the Islands of Tahiti. The airline launched its first flight between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti. As part of its inaugural celebration, United also announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco.

"We are thrilled to extend this exciting flight to a year-round schedule," said Janet Lamkin. "For Californians and our customers connecting through San Francisco, this route offers an escape to a little corner of paradise."

United's newest international flight offers customers a convenient gateway to the islands of French Polynesia including Mo'orea, Bora Bora, the Marquesas and Rangiroa. Starting today, United's service to Tahiti departs San Francisco International Airport on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Beginning March 30, 2019, United will begin year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. United will operate the route with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft throughout the year. Tickets are available for purchase on united.com.
Flight City Pair Depart Arrive
UA 115 San Francisco - Tahiti 2:45 p.m. 9:25 p.m.
UA 114 Tahiti - San Francisco 11:45 p.m. 9:50 a.m. next day

United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. From San Francisco, United will continue to operate nonstop seasonal summer service to Zurich in 2019 and recently announced it will be the only U.S. carrier to offer daily, year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam beginning March 30, 2019.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's SFO-PPT 788 starts October 30 2018.

United Airlines adds the South Pacific's Most Stunning Tropical Paradise to its Growing List of New Routes

Tahiti becomes the 13th international route announced by the airline in 2017
United's new nonstop flight from SFO to Tahiti connects customers to beautiful beaches, overwater bungalows, coral atolls and forested volcanoes

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 13, 2017 -- United Airlines (UAL), the leading carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area, today announced it will begin service between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti, the South Pacific's gateway to more than 118 islands in French Polynesia including Bora Bora, Moorea, the Marquesas and Raiatea. United is the only U.S. carrier offering nonstop service to Tahiti from the mainland United States. Tickets are now available for purchase.

"We are excited to announce Tahiti as our 13th new international route this year, and we are even more thrilled about offering our customers a whole new world of vacation opportunities," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "We know our customers want more destinations to choose from to escape the winter weather, and we look forward to being the airline that connects them to this corner of paradise.

"United's service from San Francisco will connect customers to the South Pacific's most pristine waters, white sand beaches, stunning turquoise lagoons, coral atolls and volcanic mountain peaks. Visitors to the islands experience a tropical paradise and countless spaces to relax and reconnect in natural beauty and authentic French Polynesian island culture.

United will operate nonstop service, three times weekly with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft between its San Francisco hub and Fa'a'ā International Airport (PPT), beginning Oct. 30, 2018, through March 28, 2019, subject to government approval.
Winter 2018 schedule Subject to government approval
UA 115 SFO PPT Tues/Thurs/Sun 2:45 p.m. - 9:25 p.m
UA 114 PPT SFO Tues/Thurs/Sun 11:45 p.m. - 9:50 a.m. next day
*Flight Times Subject to Change

United's Long History Connecting Customers to the Pacific Islands
United's love affair with the Pacific islands started more than 70 years ago and continues today. It began in 1947 with United's first flight across the Pacific from San Francisco to Honolulu, making the Hawaiian Islands an easily accessible destination for tourism and business. Today, United offers more flights between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands than any other U.S. carrier.

In 1968, United expanded its Pacific network linking the Hawaiian Islands, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Guam. Today, nearly half a century later, United's Island Hopper - Flight 155 - departs Guam in the morning and makes a series of five, one-hour flights to the islands of Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae; Kwajalein and Majuro. In addition to the airline's popular Island Hopper service, United connects customers from Guam to other island destinations including Palau, Yap and the Philippines.

In 1986, United began nonstop service from its West Coast hubs in the U.S. to Sydney and Melbourne, Australia. Today, United is the largest U.S. carrier to serve Australia, offering the most seats to Sydney and Melbourne with its daily nonstop service from San Francisco and Los Angeles.Building its powerful Pacific network, last year United began nonstop service from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, becoming the largest mainland U.S. carrier to serve the City of Sails.

United's San Francisco Hub
United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. Beginning in June 2018, United will start nonstop seasonal summer service between San Francisco and Zurich.
Print Wikipost

UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, .....

Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EWR764
The flight appears to shift a few hours earlier in the summer, but still not early enough for the last flights to BOB or the Moorea ferries. Still an oddly-timed flight.
Also not well timed for at least our Windstar cruise. We need to cool our heels for two nights before and after. Not the worst thing, but the late arrival prevents a quick trip to anywhere, so Papeete it is on both ends.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LTP, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver, Delta Silver
Can't find any biz saver award space and am only seeing economy at 45k miles each way. Thought it should be 35k.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Wish they would come down with pricing.
At least in coach the pricing seems pretty reasonable, it's possible to book two one-ways SFO-PPT and PPT-SFO for a total cost of $620 (oddly, booking a roundtrip ticket is about $140 more expensive).
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far they seem to have avoided he first flight curse. Off on schedule and due to arrive ~30 minutes early.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Is the flight timed so as to make a better connection for folks coming back to SFO? (I have no idea, just speculating). Either way, I am stoked to see this go year-round...hope it can stick. I would have to imagine that prices should be decent, as if you can spend money on the hotels at Bora Bora, you're probably not doing too shabby for yourself...
My guess is utilization... the afternoon departure out of SFO turns from an Asia arrival and heads back TPAC after coming in from PPT. It's competitive with French Bee, though, and is timed well for connections throughout the US.

The southbound UA flight will generally call for an overnight on Tahiti, while the return redeye is well-timed for arrivals from other islands. OTOH, the French Bee redeye PPT-SFO works well for outbound pax, but the 0725 northbound will also require an overnight.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by milepig

Also not well timed for at least our Windstar cruise. We need to cool our heels for two nights before and after. Not the worst thing, but the late arrival prevents a quick trip to anywhere, so Papeete it is on both ends.
Ditto with our Paul Gauguin cruise- need to arrive on a Thursday for cruise departing on a Saturday.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:21 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Great news about the extension to year round!
But has anyone ever seen a single BUSINESS SAVER award seat for this flight? I would consider booking our family of 3 on a standard award (1,050,000 miles!)....if I thought we had a shot of getting a few of those miles back.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ericka
Great news about the extension to year round!
But has anyone ever seen a single BUSINESS SAVER award seat for this flight? I would consider booking our family of 3 on a standard award (1,050,000 miles!)....if I thought we had a shot of getting a few of those miles back.
No. But then I can't tell you the last time I've seen a business saver seat for ANY flight! Scarce as hen's teeth these days.

It looks the the SFO return went out last night as full as the inbound. J checked in full (including the 12 seats that had been blocked) and only a few scattered E- seats.

Is there any serious need for cargo and/or mail in either direction. Cargo can result in a fair amount of income and make a flight viable when the pax along can't carry it. This is the only US carrier flight - does the postal service have a mandate to use US carriers when possible?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LTP, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver, Delta Silver
No. But then I can't tell you the last time I've seen a business saver seat for ANY flight! Scarce as hen's teeth these days.

It looks the the SFO return went out last night as full as the inbound. J checked in full (including the 12 seats that had been blocked) and only a few scattered E- seats.

Is there any serious need for cargo and/or mail in either direction. Cargo can result in a fair amount of income and make a flight viable when the pax along can't carry it. This is the only US carrier flight - does the postal service have a mandate to use US carriers when possible?

Got one for you but still... Not looking great.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by IAlwaysCall

Got one for you but still... Not looking great.
I would snag that if it were during the summer!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Methinks your not looking hard enough

List of saver dates on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/airfare-de...ilable-tahiti/
IAlwaysCall likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer

Great post. Just need July/August... Come onnnnn!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:21 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
At least in coach the pricing seems pretty reasonable, it's possible to book two one-ways SFO-PPT and PPT-SFO for a total cost of $620 (oddly, booking a roundtrip ticket is about $140 more expensive).
Thanks. Will keep that in mind
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ronin
Ditto with our Paul Gauguin cruise- need to arrive on a Thursday for cruise departing on a Saturday.
IMO, that's perfect timing. Gives you a full day plus a couple halves to recover from the air travel and get your body clock adjusted to the new time zone as well as being able to shop for anything you might have forgotten to pack.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer

Will you marry me?
Seriously, I need summer dates though. Think theyll be adding a few?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.