Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread inOceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum
Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?
United Airlines Launches Inaugural Flight Between San Francisco and Tahiti, Announces it will Extend to Year-Round Service

United launches the only nonstop service to the Islands of Tahiti by a U.S. carrier from the mainland United States

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today started the only nonstop service by a U.S. carrier to the Islands of Tahiti. The airline launched its first flight between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti. As part of its inaugural celebration, United also announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco.

"We are thrilled to extend this exciting flight to a year-round schedule," said Janet Lamkin. "For Californians and our customers connecting through San Francisco, this route offers an escape to a little corner of paradise."

United's newest international flight offers customers a convenient gateway to the islands of French Polynesia including Mo'orea, Bora Bora, the Marquesas and Rangiroa. Starting today, United's service to Tahiti departs San Francisco International Airport on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Beginning March 30, 2019, United will begin year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. United will operate the route with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft throughout the year. Tickets are available for purchase on united.com.
Flight City Pair Depart Arrive
UA 115 San Francisco - Tahiti 2:45 p.m. 9:25 p.m.
UA 114 Tahiti - San Francisco 11:45 p.m. 9:50 a.m. next day

United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. From San Francisco, United will continue to operate nonstop seasonal summer service to Zurich in 2019 and recently announced it will be the only U.S. carrier to offer daily, year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam beginning March 30, 2019.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's SFO-PPT 788 starts October 30 2018.

United Airlines adds the South Pacific's Most Stunning Tropical Paradise to its Growing List of New Routes

Tahiti becomes the 13th international route announced by the airline in 2017
United's new nonstop flight from SFO to Tahiti connects customers to beautiful beaches, overwater bungalows, coral atolls and forested volcanoes

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 13, 2017 -- United Airlines (UAL), the leading carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area, today announced it will begin service between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti, the South Pacific's gateway to more than 118 islands in French Polynesia including Bora Bora, Moorea, the Marquesas and Raiatea. United is the only U.S. carrier offering nonstop service to Tahiti from the mainland United States. Tickets are now available for purchase.

"We are excited to announce Tahiti as our 13th new international route this year, and we are even more thrilled about offering our customers a whole new world of vacation opportunities," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "We know our customers want more destinations to choose from to escape the winter weather, and we look forward to being the airline that connects them to this corner of paradise.

"United's service from San Francisco will connect customers to the South Pacific's most pristine waters, white sand beaches, stunning turquoise lagoons, coral atolls and volcanic mountain peaks. Visitors to the islands experience a tropical paradise and countless spaces to relax and reconnect in natural beauty and authentic French Polynesian island culture.

United will operate nonstop service, three times weekly with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft between its San Francisco hub and Fa'a'ā International Airport (PPT), beginning Oct. 30, 2018, through March 28, 2019, subject to government approval.
Winter 2018 schedule – Subject to government approval
UA 115 SFO – PPT Tues/Thurs/Sun 2:45 p.m. - 9:25 p.m
UA 114 PPT – SFO Tues/Thurs/Sun 11:45 p.m. - 9:50 a.m. next day
*Flight Times Subject to Change

United's Long History Connecting Customers to the Pacific Islands
United's love affair with the Pacific islands started more than 70 years ago and continues today. It began in 1947 with United's first flight across the Pacific from San Francisco to Honolulu, making the Hawaiian Islands an easily accessible destination for tourism and business. Today, United offers more flights between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands than any other U.S. carrier.

In 1968, United expanded its Pacific network linking the Hawaiian Islands, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Guam. Today, nearly half a century later, United's Island Hopper - Flight 155 - departs Guam in the morning and makes a series of five, one-hour flights to the islands of Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae; Kwajalein and Majuro. In addition to the airline's popular Island Hopper service, United connects customers from Guam to other island destinations including Palau, Yap and the Philippines.

In 1986, United began nonstop service from its West Coast hubs in the U.S. to Sydney and Melbourne, Australia. Today, United is the largest U.S. carrier to serve Australia, offering the most seats to Sydney and Melbourne with its daily nonstop service from San Francisco and Los Angeles.Building its powerful Pacific network, last year United began nonstop service from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, becoming the largest mainland U.S. carrier to serve the City of Sails.

United's San Francisco Hub
United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. Beginning in June 2018, United will start nonstop seasonal summer service between San Francisco and Zurich.
Print Wikipost

UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, .....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
CO tried Fiji not long ago. The route failed.

I definitely prefer UA, but when AF, BF, and TN all offer flights arriving into PPT with time to make connections to other islands and UA doesn't, I'm not likely to choose UA.
flying AF and BF, coming back you will have to overnight at PPT, from the schedule I can see. So do you prefer to overnight at PPT the first night of your vacation or the last night of your vacation?

CO tried FIJI, but it didn't have the powerful hub of SFO at the time. Anyway, not sure it will work, but worth looking on a seasonal, less than daily basis i think.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
For airlines not based in PPT (i,e, AF or UA), it is either late evening arrival/late evening departure or early morning arrival/ early morning departure. so you will spend 1 night at PPT either way. So do you prefer staying the first night of your vacation at PPT or last night of your vacation at PPT?

I don't think UA can afford to leave its 788 close to 12 hours on the ground at PPT not flying.
We plan on taking this flight once we retire, and I hope UA still has it when that happens. When we overnight in PPT doesn't really matter.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
For airlines not based in PPT (i,e, AF or UA), it is either late evening arrival/late evening departure or early morning arrival/ early morning departure. so you will spend 1 night at PPT either way. So do you prefer staying the first night of your vacation at PPT or last night of your vacation at PPT?

I don't think UA can afford to leave its 788 close to 12 hours on the ground at PPT not flying.
We'll be going no November to hook up to a Windstar cruise. Timing is horrible - we'll arrive late on a Tuesday and then the cruise isn't until Thursday - can't fly on Wednesday as UA doesn't fly that day. Then on the way back we'll again have to overnight before a late evening flight the next day.

Now, we are waiting in hopes that the fares drop. Still $5K plus from ORD in business, and no saver fares to be had. RT would be 350,000 miles. Upgrades from economy are all waitlisted, and in any case I've played that waiting game before and don't relish doing so again.

Last edited by milepig; Feb 16, 2018 at 4:42 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by milepig
We'll be going no November to hook up to a Windstar cruise. Timing is horrible - we'll arrive late on a Tuesday and then the cruise isn't until Thursday - can't fly on Wednesday as UA doesn't fly that day. Then on the way back we'll again have to overnight before a late evening flight the next day.

Now, we are waiting in hopes that the fares drop. Still $5K plus from ORD in business, and no saver fares to be had. RT would be 350,000 miles. Upgrades from economy area all waitlisted, and in any case I've played that waiting game before and don't relish doing so again.
have a great trip! good luck on the fare and upgrade!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, we are waiting in hopes that the fares drop. Still $5K plus from ORD in business, and no saver fares to be had. RT would be 350,000 miles. Upgrades from economy are all waitlisted, and in any case I've played that waiting game before and don't relish doing so again.
have a great trip! good luck on the fare and upgrade!
I pulled the trigger today. The flights in J were actually beginning to fill, so I don’t expect fares to drop much. Also booked the IC in overwater bungalow, so just all a splurge.

Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;

I pulled the trigger today. The flights in J were actually beginning to fill, so I don’t expect fares to drop much. Also booked the IC in overwater bungalow, so just all a splurge.

I did it a couple weeks ago... J was filled for the first flight but I got the Y seats I wanted.... I noticed that TN announced a sale yesterday $880USD R/T, which is way below any previous sale numbers they've advertised.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buzzman
I did it a couple weeks ago... J was filled for the first flight but I got the Y seats I wanted.... I noticed that TN announced a sale yesterday $880USD R/T, which is way below any previous sale numbers they've advertised.
Wow - filled over six months out. That must be encouraging to UA! I was seeing maybe half full and even that surprised me this far out. Yeah, I guess TN is blinking.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Wow - filled over six months out. That must be encouraging to UA! I was seeing maybe half full and even that surprised me this far out. Yeah, I guess TN is blinking.
I don't think it's full of REV passengers in J.... It sat there with only 3-5 seats sold during the first couple months and then it filled almost overnight. May be NON REV pax for the inaugural trip. I know that Y is wide open...
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buzzman
I don't think it's full of REV passengers in J.... It sat there with only 3-5 seats sold during the first couple months and then it filled almost overnight. May be NON REV pax for the inaugural trip. I know that Y is wide open...
maybe the inaugural. We’re a couple weeks later.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:43 pm

French Bee

I was able to book flight SFO-PPT $ 650 roundtrip on French Bee website....it looks like it will fly May-October. Which now makes sense why United will fly November -April...
Old May 22, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Any predictions on when saver availability might open up for any of the low-season weeks (between Thanksgiving and Christmas)? Looks like very few Y tickets being actually sold during these weeks.

Or with new routes, does UA typically wait until they begin operating before trying to optimize inventory?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
P-Fares

P is available on a lot of dates for 7-12 day trips in NOV/DEC/JAN/FEB/MAR
I booked East Coast to PPT RT for $4,445- in FEB.

I'd allow at least a 2 hour layover in SFO for your outbound flight because of the abysmal delay/ground stop rate there.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 24, 2018 at 8:59 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Club Carlson, AA, UA, AS, SQ, AF
Originally Posted by Sea77
I was able to book flight SFO-PPT $ 650 roundtrip on French Bee website....it looks like it will fly May-October. Which now makes sense why United will fly November -April...
I forgot this was originally scheduled as seasonal. I had always assumed it was year round or they would extend it. Unfortunately, still no flights scheduled past March 28th
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:49 pm

These must not be selling well....

UA now matching French Bee for 700 or less... about to pull the trigger on a $700 RT ticket at Christmas-time (which seems insane considering it's $70 cheaper than Hawaii on the same dates - 12/23-12/27). Seat map looks 80% empty in coach, 40% empty up front. I'd think most people would buy this far out or farther for Xmas time

And looking at more dates before Xmas and into January...the seat map is even more abysmal. Virtually nobody up front or in back, though maybe with the price change that will shift quickly. Hope this route survives as the one time I flew TN some time ago it was a bad experience all around...

Last edited by jk88usa; Jun 26, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our flight times for November just got changed to move up 45 minutes in each direction. This works in our favor on the outbound as it reduces a four hour layover. On the return not so great. We land (in theory) at 8:45 and I’d go for the 10:40, but UA has zeroed out P for the SFO-ORD leg. There is then a hole in the schedule until our 12:45ish flight.

oddly, this came though to us as an email and the flights in the record had already been changed without the confirmation step.

The prices for our rt ORD-SFO-PPT have doubled so they must be doing OK in the front cabin, although I didn’t check how much this is due to zero P on the SFO-ORD leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.