Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread inOceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum
Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?
United Airlines Launches Inaugural Flight Between San Francisco and Tahiti, Announces it will Extend to Year-Round Service

United launches the only nonstop service to the Islands of Tahiti by a U.S. carrier from the mainland United States

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today started the only nonstop service by a U.S. carrier to the Islands of Tahiti. The airline launched its first flight between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti. As part of its inaugural celebration, United also announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco.

"We are thrilled to extend this exciting flight to a year-round schedule," said Janet Lamkin. "For Californians and our customers connecting through San Francisco, this route offers an escape to a little corner of paradise."

United's newest international flight offers customers a convenient gateway to the islands of French Polynesia including Mo'orea, Bora Bora, the Marquesas and Rangiroa. Starting today, United's service to Tahiti departs San Francisco International Airport on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Beginning March 30, 2019, United will begin year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. United will operate the route with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft throughout the year. Tickets are available for purchase on united.com.
Flight City Pair Depart Arrive
UA 115 San Francisco - Tahiti 2:45 p.m. 9:25 p.m.
UA 114 Tahiti - San Francisco 11:45 p.m. 9:50 a.m. next day

United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. From San Francisco, United will continue to operate nonstop seasonal summer service to Zurich in 2019 and recently announced it will be the only U.S. carrier to offer daily, year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam beginning March 30, 2019.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's SFO-PPT 788 starts October 30 2018.

United Airlines adds the South Pacific's Most Stunning Tropical Paradise to its Growing List of New Routes

Tahiti becomes the 13th international route announced by the airline in 2017
United's new nonstop flight from SFO to Tahiti connects customers to beautiful beaches, overwater bungalows, coral atolls and forested volcanoes

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 13, 2017 -- United Airlines (UAL), the leading carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area, today announced it will begin service between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti, the South Pacific's gateway to more than 118 islands in French Polynesia including Bora Bora, Moorea, the Marquesas and Raiatea. United is the only U.S. carrier offering nonstop service to Tahiti from the mainland United States. Tickets are now available for purchase.

"We are excited to announce Tahiti as our 13th new international route this year, and we are even more thrilled about offering our customers a whole new world of vacation opportunities," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "We know our customers want more destinations to choose from to escape the winter weather, and we look forward to being the airline that connects them to this corner of paradise.

"United's service from San Francisco will connect customers to the South Pacific's most pristine waters, white sand beaches, stunning turquoise lagoons, coral atolls and volcanic mountain peaks. Visitors to the islands experience a tropical paradise and countless spaces to relax and reconnect in natural beauty and authentic French Polynesian island culture.

United will operate nonstop service, three times weekly with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft between its San Francisco hub and Fa'a'ā International Airport (PPT), beginning Oct. 30, 2018, through March 28, 2019, subject to government approval.
Winter 2018 schedule – Subject to government approval
UA 115 SFO – PPT Tues/Thurs/Sun 2:45 p.m. - 9:25 p.m
UA 114 PPT – SFO Tues/Thurs/Sun 11:45 p.m. - 9:50 a.m. next day
*Flight Times Subject to Change

United's Long History Connecting Customers to the Pacific Islands
United's love affair with the Pacific islands started more than 70 years ago and continues today. It began in 1947 with United's first flight across the Pacific from San Francisco to Honolulu, making the Hawaiian Islands an easily accessible destination for tourism and business. Today, United offers more flights between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands than any other U.S. carrier.

In 1968, United expanded its Pacific network linking the Hawaiian Islands, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Guam. Today, nearly half a century later, United's Island Hopper - Flight 155 - departs Guam in the morning and makes a series of five, one-hour flights to the islands of Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae; Kwajalein and Majuro. In addition to the airline's popular Island Hopper service, United connects customers from Guam to other island destinations including Palau, Yap and the Philippines.

In 1986, United began nonstop service from its West Coast hubs in the U.S. to Sydney and Melbourne, Australia. Today, United is the largest U.S. carrier to serve Australia, offering the most seats to Sydney and Melbourne with its daily nonstop service from San Francisco and Los Angeles.Building its powerful Pacific network, last year United began nonstop service from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, becoming the largest mainland U.S. carrier to serve the City of Sails.

United's San Francisco Hub
United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. Beginning in June 2018, United will start nonstop seasonal summer service between San Francisco and Zurich.
Print Wikipost

UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, .....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:57 am

I had been hoping that Los Angeles or San Francisco to Brisbane would be next on the list but sadly no.
jumpingenes and Wombat1 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Any forecasts as to what will happen with fares and awards? I’m starting to check from ORD for November, and business is runnning ~$5,500 RT and business saver is not available (yeah, I know saved is never available) and regular RT would be 350K Miles.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:18 pm

just got excited about this as currently planning a trip to PPT with united EWR - HNL with miles and then paying for the HNL to PPT leg. but 350K miles a ticket is impossible. Also seems to be 350K whether from EWR or SFO.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Perhaps it’s a temporary glitch, but the inaugural flight is now showing no space at all in the forward cabin. (I am booked already on it).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by zrs70
Perhaps it’s a temporary glitch, but the inaugural flight is now showing no space at all in the forward cabin. (I am booked already on it).
glitch. a bazillion seats available on the flight, both up front and in Y.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by CALMSP
glitch. a bazillion seats available on the flight, both up front and in Y.
Well, I see those seats on the map when I pull up my reservation. But when looking at new availability, it is zeroed out (still).
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by zrs70

Well, I see those seats on the map when I pull up my reservation. But when looking at new availability, it is zeroed out (still).
a few people booked, but the rest will be media/journalists/vip's, etc. I suppose thats why it is zeroed out then.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Originally Posted by haddon90
i'm not familiar with the range on the 789 but is SFO-PER possible?
Not a chance: SFO-PER is almost 3 hours longer than SFO-MEL.. ;-(
Great Circle Mapper

The longest flights (thank you flightaware.com!) on 787's are currently LAX/SFO-SIN, YVR/LAX-MEL, PVG-MEX. These are all over 8000 miles, with LAX-SIN at 8700. Another 450 or so above that to get to Perth, and unless the oil/gas business gets a LOT better in Perth I just can't ever see these flights yielding enough high-$$$ passengers to make the math work.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:25 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Just noticed this is “seasonal”...over the rainiest months in Tahiti. Interesting.

Last edited by Ericka; Feb 15, 2018 at 10:31 am
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Ericka
Just noticed this is “seasonal”...over the rainiest months in Tahiti. Interesting.
Rainy season and awful arrival time into PPT.
Hard to see this succeeding.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I have been to Fr Polynesia many times in November.... It's not that rainy and actually doesn't get too bad until January... This will succeed as when AF and TN start competing the price will be driven down... I see it as a giant win as I try to go down there 2-3 times a year..
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
hey, where else can you fly a 787 in winter and make more money? another 12-hour flight to shanghai with $300 coach ticket? another flight to Europe with coach class mostly empty? or an 8-hour flight to PPT maybe with $500 to $600 coach ticket? it is a no brainer. UA is moving in the right direction, it should be more flexible and opportunistic. It should open up more less than daily and seasonal markets. IF this works, i see UA open more seasonal destinations like FIJI, etc.
runner450 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buzzman
I have been to Fr Polynesia many times in November.... It's not that rainy and actually doesn't get too bad until January... This will succeed as when AF and TN start competing the price will be driven down... I see it as a giant win as I try to go down there 2-3 times a year..
Succeed for passengers and succeed for airlines are two different things. I don't think this has anything to do with AF or TN. I think this was introduced due to the ORY-SFO-PPT sector being launched by French Bee (née French SAS, née French Blue -- BF). I don't think UA wants a low-cost competitor on Paris to San Francisco and this is their response. If BF drops the route, I suspect UA will do the same.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
hey, where else can you fly a 787 in winter and make more money? another 12-hour flight to shanghai with $300 coach ticket? another flight to Europe with coach class mostly empty? or an 8-hour flight to PPT maybe with $500 to $600 coach ticket? it is a no brainer. UA is moving in the right direction, it should be more flexible and opportunistic. It should open up more less than daily and seasonal markets. IF this works, i see UA open more seasonal destinations like FIJI, etc.
CO tried Fiji not long ago. The route failed.

I definitely prefer UA, but when AF, BF, and TN all offer flights arriving into PPT with time to make connections to other islands and UA doesn't, I'm not likely to choose UA.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
CO tried Fiji not long ago. The route failed.

I definitely prefer UA, but when AF, BF, and TN all offer flights arriving into PPT with time to make connections to other islands and UA doesn't, I'm not likely to choose UA.
For airlines not based in PPT (i,e, AF or UA), it is either late evening arrival/late evening departure or early morning arrival/ early morning departure. so you will spend 1 night at PPT either way. So do you prefer staying the first night of your vacation at PPT or last night of your vacation at PPT?

I don't think UA can afford to leave its 788 close to 12 hours on the ground at PPT not flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.