Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread inOceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum
Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?
United Airlines Launches Inaugural Flight Between San Francisco and Tahiti, Announces it will Extend to Year-Round Service

United launches the only nonstop service to the Islands of Tahiti by a U.S. carrier from the mainland United States

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today started the only nonstop service by a U.S. carrier to the Islands of Tahiti. The airline launched its first flight between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti. As part of its inaugural celebration, United also announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco.

"We are thrilled to extend this exciting flight to a year-round schedule," said Janet Lamkin. "For Californians and our customers connecting through San Francisco, this route offers an escape to a little corner of paradise."

United's newest international flight offers customers a convenient gateway to the islands of French Polynesia including Mo'orea, Bora Bora, the Marquesas and Rangiroa. Starting today, United's service to Tahiti departs San Francisco International Airport on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Beginning March 30, 2019, United will begin year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. United will operate the route with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft throughout the year. Tickets are available for purchase on united.com.
Flight City Pair Depart Arrive
UA 115 San Francisco - Tahiti 2:45 p.m. 9:25 p.m.
UA 114 Tahiti - San Francisco 11:45 p.m. 9:50 a.m. next day

United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. From San Francisco, United will continue to operate nonstop seasonal summer service to Zurich in 2019 and recently announced it will be the only U.S. carrier to offer daily, year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam beginning March 30, 2019.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's SFO-PPT 788 starts October 30 2018.

United Airlines adds the South Pacific's Most Stunning Tropical Paradise to its Growing List of New Routes

Tahiti becomes the 13th international route announced by the airline in 2017
United's new nonstop flight from SFO to Tahiti connects customers to beautiful beaches, overwater bungalows, coral atolls and forested volcanoes

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 13, 2017 -- United Airlines (UAL), the leading carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area, today announced it will begin service between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti, the South Pacific's gateway to more than 118 islands in French Polynesia including Bora Bora, Moorea, the Marquesas and Raiatea. United is the only U.S. carrier offering nonstop service to Tahiti from the mainland United States. Tickets are now available for purchase.

"We are excited to announce Tahiti as our 13th new international route this year, and we are even more thrilled about offering our customers a whole new world of vacation opportunities," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "We know our customers want more destinations to choose from to escape the winter weather, and we look forward to being the airline that connects them to this corner of paradise.

"United's service from San Francisco will connect customers to the South Pacific's most pristine waters, white sand beaches, stunning turquoise lagoons, coral atolls and volcanic mountain peaks. Visitors to the islands experience a tropical paradise and countless spaces to relax and reconnect in natural beauty and authentic French Polynesian island culture.

United will operate nonstop service, three times weekly with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft between its San Francisco hub and Fa'a'ā International Airport (PPT), beginning Oct. 30, 2018, through March 28, 2019, subject to government approval.
Winter 2018 schedule – Subject to government approval
UA 115 SFO – PPT Tues/Thurs/Sun 2:45 p.m. - 9:25 p.m
UA 114 PPT – SFO Tues/Thurs/Sun 11:45 p.m. - 9:50 a.m. next day
*Flight Times Subject to Change

United's Long History Connecting Customers to the Pacific Islands
United's love affair with the Pacific islands started more than 70 years ago and continues today. It began in 1947 with United's first flight across the Pacific from San Francisco to Honolulu, making the Hawaiian Islands an easily accessible destination for tourism and business. Today, United offers more flights between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands than any other U.S. carrier.

In 1968, United expanded its Pacific network linking the Hawaiian Islands, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Guam. Today, nearly half a century later, United's Island Hopper - Flight 155 - departs Guam in the morning and makes a series of five, one-hour flights to the islands of Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae; Kwajalein and Majuro. In addition to the airline's popular Island Hopper service, United connects customers from Guam to other island destinations including Palau, Yap and the Philippines.

In 1986, United began nonstop service from its West Coast hubs in the U.S. to Sydney and Melbourne, Australia. Today, United is the largest U.S. carrier to serve Australia, offering the most seats to Sydney and Melbourne with its daily nonstop service from San Francisco and Los Angeles.Building its powerful Pacific network, last year United began nonstop service from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, becoming the largest mainland U.S. carrier to serve the City of Sails.

United's San Francisco Hub
United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. Beginning in June 2018, United will start nonstop seasonal summer service between San Francisco and Zurich.
Print Wikipost

UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, .....

Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I hope UA will add connecting flights to/from SYD, even if it's not on a *A carrier. It would be nice to have a stopover in Tahihi to the US.

PPT-SFO leaves at 11:45pm and lands at 9:30am. For SYD-SFO passengers without a connection to the East Coast, that sounds a lot better than the current 11:30am SYD departure, landing around 7am. I'm struggling to sleep on that flight, even in C. UA recently offered a non-*A flight for SYD-AKL-SFO, before the earlier AKL-SFO flight was cancelled.

For SFO-PPT, landing at 9:25pm, I'd rather take the straight SFO-SYD flight.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:04 pm

I actually thought it might be SFO-MEL but not to be, since Qantas have today announced that route starting late in 2018.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
I definitely hear that argument but those places are a lot further away than PPT.

I think UA is more going after the West Coast folks who go to Hawaii every year and didn't realize Tahiti was only a couple hours further away and equally as easy (either direct or one hop through SFO) and then offering them a better hard product than the competition at the same price.

Will it work? Who knows but I don't think prices seem particularly crazy from that lenses and when put side by side with the competition
I would love to build PPT into my annual N. America to Australia work trips. If they code share with NZ, this flight could be a real winner, depending on the on the stop-over rules.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I presume this is going to be insanely popular with United crew scheduling? I could imagine this becomes one of the hottest routes to bid.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66

Finally!! I've been waiting years for this. Now my 1M+ IHG points will be out to good use -- if only I could ever string together 7-10 reward nights at Thalasso.
Lets not forget the Ambassador Weekend Certs to the mix. But I've been saving all of my IHG so I could go to Bora Bora one day. Visited Moorea when I was in High School with the family. The lack of Star Alliance connection to PPT has always pushed Bora Bora to the back of the line on my list of places to go. I always figured it would be Air New Zealand who would bring back connection between the US and PPT NOT United. Now, if only United brings back Fiji which they flew to during in the 90's, I can check off the two places I want to visit in the South Pacific.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
I presume this is going to be insanely popular with United crew scheduling? I could imagine this becomes one of the hottest routes to bid.
Is Iris still working? I bet she would enjoy French Polynesia.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by seat38a
. Now, if only United brings back Fiji which they flew to during in the 90's, I can check off the two places I want to visit in the South Pacific.
CO flew HNL-NAN from 2009-2011: New Air Mike service - Fiji (NAN) to HNL

Suspension was blamed on high fuel prices...

Last edited by ctownflyer; Dec 15, 2017 at 7:24 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:09 am

Wasn't there also NAN-GUM at some point? Along with GUM-DPS.

If we're talking Pacific routes that we want to bring back... then GUM-CNS please (or even better, GUM-BNE)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The Pan Am Tahiti layovers were the stuff of legend...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Before I go all crazy and book thousands of dollars of ground arrangements, I notice that the small print says "Pending Governmental Approval". Do these things ever not go through after the big PR splash?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Standard for any new international route. SFOPPT is covered by US-EU Open Skies so government approval won’t be a problem for this route.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PPT is not partucularly attractive and kinda messy.. i d take a day anywhere in HI over PPT (aside from novelty factor)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
CO flew HNL-NAN from 2009-2011: New Air Mike service - Fiji (NAN) to HNL
They also flew SYD-NAN-HNL in the 80s.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
PPT is not partucularly attractive and kinda messy.. i d take a day anywhere in HI over PPT (aside from novelty factor)
Assuming the late arrival to PPT, and the inability to get to Moorea or Bora Bora until the next day, do you have a recommended hotel for that first night in PPT?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by jeepie
Assuming the late arrival to PPT, and the inability to get to Moorea or Bora Bora until the next day, do you have a recommended hotel for that first night in PPT?
The Intercontinental is pretty close, but it all depends on your budget. I am not sure if the Hilton opposite Carrefour has opened yet, have to check next week. In
any case, no free hotel shuttles inTahiti.
jeepie likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.