Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN-IAH Not a Single Upgrade Cleared

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by williambruno1975

ya P fares are indeed a godsend .... just yesterday I scored a P fare that will net me 32,990 in PQM For just $2,754 ai
yup, at least I can run up the PQMs on them too. Sure it will be a slow on the PQDs, but fly on enough of these, by the time I hit $12K PQDs, I can be well past 100K PQMs and be within spitting distance of the bonus GPU/RPUs since those are only based on PQMs once the $12K PQD plateau is hit.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:30 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Just booked my first January 2018 P fare ORD>LGA for $180 on the OW outbound, $234 on the return. Another route where the common A319 and A320s are almost always sold out up front.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Upgrades are just benefits airlines can market these days. I couldn't even get an upgrade from SFO-AUS on a full Y fare.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Since UA seems to be finally successful monetizing first class, some first cabins seem too small, especially on A319s and A320s. As others have said, not uncommon to see none or a few upgrades on flights, and those upgrades likely went to GS and perhaps a 1K or two using an upgrade cert. I've found it easier to upgrade int'l flights using certs than domestic ones.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by JHake10
Upgrades are just benefits airlines can market these days. I couldn't even get an upgrade from SFO-AUS on a full Y fare.
I'm pretty confident I won't clear AUS-IAH on a larger trip using an RPU next week if it makes you feel better. On a 319, but thankfully a short flight.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I'm pretty confident I won't clear AUS-IAH on a larger trip using an RPU next week if it makes you feel better. On a 319, but thankfully a short flight.
Trying to count on an RPU clearing, especially in late December, is an act of faith.

The whole strategy of trying to monetize F is great for frequent flyers not bound to a single airline. For example, later this month I'm flying MSP-SFO. Alaska F was cheaper than UA Y. Guess which airline this UA elite chose?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Happens all the time, especially on hub-hub routes. For example, I have a domestic 772HD flight coming up. The inbound is EWR-SFO which is already booked full about 6 days out with not one upgrade.

-RM
As a 1k who frequents that route, you have an ice cubes chance in hell of being upgraded using instruments, playing instruments etc. in other words I feel your pain.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I have all these GPUs and RPUs sitting in my account. I apply them to most flights and just get them back when they don't clear. I would of applied an RPU to SFO-AUS but its moot since M/B/Y fares are eligible for PN when is greater than or equal to R anyway.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
It is impossible for me to justify an additional ~$200 to sit in first class on United on a short flight like DEN-IAH.
I will not eat the "meals". The service is on average only slightly better. The seat is larger, but I'm average size and get more legroom in the exit row in economy with the bonus of no one reclining their seat in my face.
Therefore, you will find this 1K in the exit row in economy more often than not.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by MysteryTour
It is impossible for me to justify an additional ~$200 to sit in first class on United on a short flight like DEN-IAH.
I will not eat the "meals". The service is on average only slightly better. The seat is larger, but I'm average size and get more legroom in the exit row in economy with the bonus of no one reclining their seat in my face.
Therefore, you will find this 1K in the exit row in economy more often than not.
O, and I thought I was the only one doing that^ I find domestic FC way too tight, especially when the seatback in front is reclined into my face.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive

ya P fares are indeed a godsend .... just yesterday I scored a P fare that will net me 32,990 in PQM For just $2,754 ai
what was that trip?!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
... and that’s why we have PQD requirements now ....

Last edited by dmurphynj; Dec 13, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... and that’s why we have PQM requirements now ....
Didn't PQD come before the 200%?

Last edited by fumje; Dec 13, 2017 at 8:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... and that’s why we have PQM requirements now ....
Didn't PQM come before the 200%?
I think the poster was talking about PQD requirements, the obtaining status on the cheaper became harder with PQD requirements (but there is still a big loophole for many -- the credit card spend PQD waiver)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think the poster was talking about PQD requirements, the obtaining status on the cheaper became harder with PQD requirements (but there is still a big loophole for many -- the credit card spend PQD waiver)
Ah, typo: meant PQD.

Before the 200% for P fares that 32990 PQM would have been 16495 PQM, which would have been 16.7 cents per qualifying mile, which is well above the twelve cents per qualifying mile threshold of each premier tier.

So it's strange to blame the 32.9k PQM per 2.7k PQD for the PQD thresholds, when in fact the PQD tracking came before the 16.9k*2 multiplier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.