Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United/Skywest - Problems with FA's Putting Videos on Internet while Working

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United/Skywest - Problems with FA's Putting Videos on Internet while Working

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
As an aside, you do not have the expectation of privacy in public. While private companies might have rules in place to disallow photography/videos, the rule is if you are in public everyone has the right to film/video you. If you don't like it, you can stay at home with the shades drawn.
Is *EVERYWHERE* but home a "public place". Well no, it isn't. The law is complex in this area as are the legal decisions on "expectation of privacy". Hence the prosecutions for taking videos in "public toilets". And the prosecutions for videos taken IN THE SUSPECT'S HOME in rooms where others are staying. et.al.

The aircraft is arguably a "public place" with rules imposed by the owner of that space, the airline. As has been mentioned United has made some attempts to regulate camera use in THEIR space.

I believe it's important to not let the situation degrade further and RESIST when you're being photographed without your permission.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jimmc66
Is *EVERYWHERE* but home a "public place". Well no, it isn't. The law is complex in this area as are the legal decisions on "expectation of privacy". Hence the prosecutions for taking videos in "public toilets". And the prosecutions for videos taken IN THE SUSPECT'S HOME in rooms where others are staying. et.al.

The aircraft is arguably a "public place" with rules imposed by the owner of that space, the airline. As has been mentioned United has made some attempts to regulate camera use in THEIR space.

I believe it's important to not let the situation degrade further and RESIST when you're being photographed without your permission.
Short of banning all cameras, how do you propose enforcing this? If every company fired every employee that took a photo or video at work, we would have a much higher turnover rate at companies.

I'm in the surveillance industry, and no, security cameras aren't installed in public toilets, changing rooms, etc. I have security cameras surrounding my house,and a few inside, but not in bedrooms or bathrooms. My kids know that any public space, including airplanes, is fair game for being filmed or photographed. In fact airplanes are the only public mode of transportation I've ever seen without security cameras. Every train I've taken has them, every bus, and a small percentage of elevators have them.

I don't fully understand your concerns, but you do seem passionate about it, even willing to get someone fired over it. On this, we can disagree.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Dec 11, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Short of banning all cameras, how do you propose enforcing this? If every company fired every employee that took a photo or video at work, we would have a much higher turnover rate at companies.

I'm in the surveillance industry, and no, security cameras aren't installed in public toilets, changing rooms, etc. I have security cameras surrounding my house,and a few inside, but not in bedrooms or bathrooms. My kids know that any public space, including airplanes, is fair game for being filmed or photographed. In fact airplanes are the only public mode of transportation I've ever seen without security cameras. Every train I've taken has them, every bus, and a small percentage of elevators have them.

I don't fully understand your concerns, but you do seem passionate about it, even willing to get someone fired over it. On this, we can disagree.
There are actually plenty of companies with very strict rules about photography that are fully enforced to the point of termination.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by jimmc66

You're probably in thousands of photographs that you don't even know exist. You are perfectly welcome to exercise your right to be unhappy with being in a photograph, just as the photographer is free to ignore you and keep their photographs.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I think there’s a difference between a security camera and a FA’s SnapChat.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by getagb
I think there’s a difference between a security camera and a FA’s SnapChat.
There of course is a difference. You're waiving your right to "privacy" by stepping into any place with a security camera. In 2017 with nearly everyone on earth having a camera in their pocket and networks in which to share their lives you're waiving the right to "privacy" when you step out of your house.

I don't see being in the background of a photo/video being an invasion of privacy. If someone comes up and asks you your name, age, sexuality, social security number, address then yes that would be an invasion of privacy.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:36 pm

Lightbulb My Perspective:

Hi there, I saw your video that was posted earlier and I noticed the scene where the back of passengers heads were barely seen, and I couldn't help but notice that the scene looks A LOT like an American Airlines flight. I know because I fly a lot and I very well know the difference between American and United cabins. AND that scene was taken from a passenger's seat view/perspective, rather than being taken from the back of a cabin. The rest of the video's appears that they are wearing United scarves and not the red/blue American scarves. It just seems strange- could it be possible that the FA was riding as a passenger in the American flight? Her view appears a lot like she is just in a normal seat. As for the rest of the video, I don't find it offensive at all, as it appears to be 2 colleagues excited to work with each other. It doesn't even look like there are passengers seen in the rest of the video- It looks a lot like an empty plane. Could it be possible that it was a Ferry flight or they were not yet in flight/passengers haven't boarded yet? Otherwise passengers would be seen in the seats as they were recording and walking down the cabin.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

I don't see being in the background of a photo/video being an invasion of privacy. If someone comes up and asks you your name, age, sexuality, social security number, address then yes that would be an invasion of privacy.

You can’t be for free speech in one case and against it in another.

Let’s be clear about this, because semantics matter. There is no “right to privacy”. One’s privacy is protected as a byproduct of various statutory laws and constitutional amendments. Taking pictures of visible subjects in public spaces is protected under free speech, so what we are really discussing here are the limitations on the first amendment. Airplanes may be shared spaces, but they are certainly not public spaces. It is perfectly acceptable to prohibit photography on one, and IMO this is the correct thing to do.
jimmc66 likes this.

Last edited by kb9522; Dec 12, 2017 at 12:10 am
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:20 pm

How did you get her snapchat information in the first place? I thought that their wings only displayed their first names?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.